EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 30 May 2017, 03:12 PM   #1
showaty

after changing website server, some msg still directed to the old server

i just recently changed my server for my domainname/website. But it's more than two weeks ago. I have still some problems with my mails. For people, who used to mail me, the message will still be directed to the old server. The sender will get a "mail delivery failed" message. Unless they use hotmail, gmail, yahoo... Also i get emails from people who never wrote me befor whitout problems. What can i do to ensure to receive ALL my mails to the new server.

thanks for reading
showaty
showaty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30 May 2017, 11:12 PM   #2
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

You say "i just recently changed my server for my domainname/website". Do you mean you changed your email address too (was aaa@oldsite.tld and now is xxx@newsite.tld)?
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2017, 01:08 PM   #3
showaty

Quote:
You say "i just recently changed my server for my domainname/website". Do you mean you changed your email address too (was aaa@oldsite.tld and now is xxx@newsite.tld)?
thank you for asking.

My email address (let's say mailbox@mydomain.com) is exactly the same than before. I just changed the host of my website from oldhost to newhost. The domain name is the same. On the new server (newhost), i have now my email account with exactly the same name than the email account from the old server. I was excpecting that all the messages to mailbox@mydomain.com would now reach the new server. Unfortunately, that's not the case as i explained in my first message.

showaty
Old 31 May 2017, 07:32 PM   #4
jdtaylor
Master of the @

Hi,

From my experience it can take 1-2 days for the dns change to populate around the internet. This is what providers tell me it can take several days for changes to filter. I've also experienced this myself.
jdtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jun 2017, 04:08 AM   #5
Folio

For diagnostic purposes, you might check your MX records at a site like MX Toolbox.

https://mxtoolbox.com/
Folio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jun 2017, 09:25 PM   #6
showaty

Finally i started the same process with other accounts. This works fine. I got my emails to to new account. So i guess, my problem described in the opening post is very specific to that domain. Mxtoolbox.com seems not that easy to understand. Wil first check dns problems.

thank you
showaty
Old 5 Jun 2017, 03:16 AM   #7
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow TTL and DNS changes

Welcome to the EMD Forums!

Are you familiar with TTL (Time To Live)? This is why changes to your DNS records do not produce immediate changes uniformly:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_to_live

Each DNS record (such as the MX record which points to your incoming email server) has an associated TTL value. This specifies the number of seconds that the DNS record is cached. Small TTL values produce greater nameserver loads and make it easier for an attacker to spoof your DNS records, so the TTL is sometimes set very long (over one day, or over 86,400 seconds). If the TTL is set to 86,400 it will take one day for caches to update to the new MX address after you change it. Note that the old TTL value is cached all over the internet along with the old MX address, so reducing the TTL in your DNS records only has an effect after the old TTL interval times out.

The best way to move an MX record is usually given as follows:
  • Examine you old MX record at your DNS host and note (write down) the old TTL value.
  • Change only the TTL value of your MX record to 300 (5 minutes), but do not change the MX address yet.
  • Wait for a little longer than the old TTL value you wrote down. Most caches should then have timed out, although some caches may have local settings which ignore the authoritative TTL. There is nothing you can do about local nameservers which don't follow the rules.
  • Change only the MX address to the new value at your DNS host, but do not change the TTL value.
  • Wait a little longer than 5 minutes. Your new MX address should now be used for anyone sending you mail.
  • Change the TTL for the MX record to 3600 (one hour) or more. This reduces the nameserver load and makes it harder for an attacker to spoof your DNS records.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote