EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 1 Jan 2022, 05:46 AM   #1
PON
Essential Contributor

Tuffmail, Rollernet & Fastmail

I noted a comment made a while ago here that rollernet.us was a powerful alternative to Tuffmail and I signed up today for a basic one year sub to give it a spin, with a view to handling some mail forwarding for a couple of domains and a few aliases.

Well... after a short while poking around I decided it had a pretty terrible user interface and I parked it for now. I then migrated everything to Fastmail; this was quickly and easily done with excellent info on DNS settings for Cloudflare for one domain (this was detected automatically and all the right config info very well presented) -- impressive.

With Rollernet I couldn't see where to enter a domain for mail handling (MX record info was clear enough). I didn't have have time go through all the help info or different subscription options to see what I may have missed.

Any Rollernet users here care to comment?
PON is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 1 Jan 2022, 02:11 PM   #2
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
have you tried purelymail? another alternative to tuffmail.
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jan 2022, 08:35 PM   #3
PON
Essential Contributor

No. I'm actually happy enough with Fastmail and had no idea until yesterday that I could add support for additional domains as easily as turned out to be the case. My reasons for using Tuffmail was as a secondary MX back in the days when it was a lot more reliable than FM and as pre-processor to manage rejection and filtering of mail (FM never tells you what's rejected; it was important to know on one occasion that mattered).

I've now got a year of Rollernet to play with. Wondering whether it's worth bothering. Have seen a couple of mentions of Purelymail but no info on what's good about it.

Last edited by PON : 2 Jan 2022 at 01:52 AM.
PON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2023, 07:08 AM   #4
SethM

Representative of:
Rollernet.us
I never read the FastMail section here so I'm only now seeing this post years later.

No, the interface is not winning any awards in a beauty contest and honestly that's probably not changing. I don't have a UI designer so I go with functionality as the priority.

Entering domains for mail handling is under the "Mail Domains" link, the first one under the mail section. It's clear to me what that means but if the name "Mail Domains" is unclear for some reason I'm open to suggestions.

Every package of Personal level and higher has the same feature set so there's nothing to miss. Basic only has SMTP Redirection, Secondary MX, and Secondary DNS.
SethM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2023, 05:13 AM   #5
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
Have seen a couple of mentions of Purelymail but no info on what's good about it.
Cheap, simple, reliable with no hard limits. You can pay $10 or less per year for basic domain email. I've found it very reliable with good deliverability, and support has been very responsive the few times I have needed it.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2023, 04:58 AM   #6
digp
Master of the @

If email was not crucial in my use case I would use Purelymail.

Not sure Rollernet are really in the email business, e.g. 5 gb for $50 a year. No thank you.
digp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2023, 05:20 AM   #7
SethM

Representative of:
Rollernet.us
Quote:
Originally Posted by digp View Post
If email was not crucial in my use case I would use Purelymail.

Not sure Rollernet are really in the email business, e.g. 5 gb for $50 a year. No thank you.
Not really sure how to respond to that, but I find your comment offensive.

I would appreciate you not spreading false statements like that. If you don't like the features then don't use it, don't spread lies if you have nothing constructive to offer.
Old 11 Nov 2023, 05:56 AM   #8
digp
Master of the @

Of course, I take it back, did not mean to offend anyone.

$5 for 5gb is a bit too much really, that was the point I was making.
digp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2023, 06:14 AM   #9
SethM

Representative of:
Rollernet.us
Quote:
Originally Posted by digp View Post
Well clearly you are in the email business, I am sorry to have offended you and I take that back, I suppose what I meant is that it is quite expensive for what it is, just worded inelegantly.
Next year will be Rollernet's 20 years, even if we don't have the prettiest user interface or advertise the largest storage offering or custom apps/webmails.

If you only have one email box then sure it's probably more expensive relative to other offerings (which I honestly don't keep track of what everyone else is offering). But also we don't charge for domains or users or aliases or transfer or anything that is commonly treated as extra cost so the cost value starts to change when you go beyond a single user.