EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 22 Aug 2009, 11:42 AM   #91
filtered

It would seem that .tel hasn't exactly taken the world by storm. At least I personally don't know of a single person who has used it or anyone with a .tel Domain let alone frequent usage .
filtered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2009, 12:07 PM   #92
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by filtered View Post
It would seem that .tel hasn't exactly taken the world by storm. At least I personally don't know of a single person who has used it or anyone with a .tel Domain let alone frequent usage .
.tel (like everything else) is something that you will not get anything out of at all, unless you first put something in, And decide exactly what you want to use it for.... it has many possibilities...
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Sep 2009, 02:45 PM   #93
mattlane

Its very early days yet in terms of the technology. The numbers are around the 250k mark after 5 months. World wide this is still pretty sparse so its not surprising you haven't bumped into anyone that has one. Go back to the late 80's and you could say the same thing about email. I remember being frustrated at only knowing one or two people with an address and repeatedly having to argue the value of email over paper memos - but clearly we got there in the end.

I use my .TEL daily and give it out to anyone that wants my contact details. Many people go off and get theirs after seeing how it works, especially when you see it on the Blackberry (http://hornet.tel) or iPhone ("Superbook" at the app store). Increasingly I get people saying, hey I used your .tel today to look up your number/email.

Its not going to transform the world overnight, but the numbers are climbing and we will continue to see large inflection points particularly as the Telcos (eg BT) and mobility providers continue to adopt it as a new product offering for their customers.

--

[Mod:] URL removed as per the forum rules.
Rule E) No signatures [except optionally your name]

Last edited by Sherry : 3 Sep 2009 at 05:16 PM.
Old 3 Sep 2009, 02:52 PM   #94
David
Ultimate Contributor

Like you Matt I had my email address up front but started to receive a lot of spam. Currently it is removed and I ask people to contact me at my cell number or via a form on my website.
Old 4 Sep 2009, 03:27 AM   #95
mattlane

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Like you Matt I had my email address up front but started to receive a lot of spam. Currently it is removed and I ask people to contact me at my cell number or via a form on my website.
That's very interesting, David. I was concerned about this at first and only had my email available to friends, but the friending process is still so arcane that I opened it up to the public. I haven't noticed an increase in spam and we have a number of .tel names out there especially set up to monitor email collection. To date we have yet to trap a single spam email.

I do know that some people use the key words to insert their email address in a way that isn't easily scraped, which may be another option for you.

@sherry - my apologies for the infraction. It's been a while since I've posted here and have been using my .tel name in other forums. It won't happen again.
Old 4 Sep 2009, 05:49 AM   #96
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlane View Post
That's very interesting, David. I was concerned about this at first and only had my email available to friends, but the friending process is still so arcane that I opened it up to the public. I haven't noticed an increase in spam and we have a number of .tel names out there especially set up to monitor email collection. To date we have yet to trap a single spam email.
The address was also posted on a website and was receiving a small amount of spam before I posted it on my .tel; the amount of spam doubled a week or two after displaying it on my .tel but it may possibly have been a coincidence.....

Email addresses (aliases) are cheap these days, possibly I will try again with a different one.
Old 24 Feb 2010, 09:13 AM   #97
friedrich

Hi everyone,

some days ago I set up my first .tel domain and have been combining it with Google Apps. As it took quite some research to figure out how to validate, set up the MX records and integrating the XMPP/JABBER SRV records I took the time to write a guide for anyone interested in doing the same:

https://sites.google.com/a/haussmann...telnic-domain/

cheers -
Friedrich
Old 3 Mar 2010, 05:52 PM   #98
vans

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedrich View Post
Hi everyone,

some days ago I set up my first .tel domain and have been combining it with Google Apps. As it took quite some research to figure out how to validate, set up the MX records and integrating the XMPP/JABBER SRV records I took the time to write a guide for anyone interested in doing the same:

https://sites.google.com/a/haussmann...telnic-domain/

cheers -
Friedrich
Thanks Friedrich for taking the time to write the guide and post it here. I am just about to set up a .tel domain.
vans is offline   Reply With Quote