EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 25 May 2017, 03:45 PM   #16
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
I am reminded of a fairly large organization that in an emergency used its email marketing system to blast out a warning to everyone in the group to shelter in place during a terrorist incident, and letting everyone else know that they were safe but wouldn't be responding to messages. The system would have alerted everyone within minutes, but I wonder how many messages were filtered into the "Newsletters" folder?
IMHO, using email for any critical, time sensitive communication is just wrong. Email, however it is configured, is not intended as an instant message system. Normally, I would expect a business to have everyone's mobile number, and a group SMS seems a much better idea for critical announcements. Even that is imperfect, as SMS is not a guaranteed delivery system.
BritTim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 06:59 AM   #17
TenFour

Quote:
IMHO, using email for any critical, time sensitive communication is just wrong.
Knowing the situation described above it happened during an emergency--not planned. Someone knew that they had the entire email list ready to go and could send out an e-blast within minutes, if not seconds. In a pinch you use what you have. In any case, the point being there are many reasons that are not emergencies that you might get that one email in a year you want to see sooner rather than later, and in my experience with filters you do miss important things. I am blessed that the quantity and frequency of my incoming email is not enough to bother me, and I feel no compulsion to open most of them right away.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2017, 12:35 AM   #18
owl

I'm testing out FastMail mainly because of privacy concerns.

FM can't compete with Gsuite/Google Apps for 3rd email functionality it seems, which is disappointing.

http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=71499
owl is offline   Reply With Quote