EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Early Warning...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Early Warning... If an email service has closed down or changed the services it offers, or if there are indications it is about to do so, post about it here.

Old 31 May 2017, 04:16 PM   #1
rmannam

Scryptmail going Paid only

From Scryptmail blog: https://blog.scryptmail.com/plan-updates/

All existing users, who had free accounts will be able to use SCRYPTmail free of charge until July 10, 2017, after which it will be converted in trial for another 2 weeks.
rmannam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 6 Jun 2017, 02:49 AM   #2
ccl1
Essential Contributor

i kind of figured that would be the only way for them to survive. i hope it works out for them
ccl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jun 2017, 06:05 PM   #3
edu

Bad decision.
Sorry to say this but I think it will be a disaster, who will be joining scryptmail when it's a one man project and you must pay for it, when there are many other services with security in mind and free to use (and with many people working in it) like tutanota, protonmail,etc?.
And the people who trusted before having a free account, what will they think now?. I think they will move to another service. I hope I am wrong.
The right decision would be to maintain a free account but with less features than a paid account.
edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jun 2017, 03:51 PM   #4
scryptmail

Representative of:
Scryptmail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by edu View Post
Bad decision.
Sorry to say this but I think it will be a disaster, who will be joining scryptmail when it's a one man project and you must pay for it, when there are many other services with security in mind and free to use (and with many people working in it) like tutanota, protonmail,etc?.
And the people who trusted before having a free account, what will they think now?. I think they will move to another service. I hope I am wrong.
The right decision would be to maintain a free account but with less features than a paid account.
Thank you for feedback, when I started this project I was under impression, that people looking for private and encrypted email service, and they will appreciate work I've done by giving donations and later on, many will find it useful to get paid accounts. However donations weren't even enough to cover cost of infrastructure. With that said, I realized that there are few types of users: freebie-seekers, who won't pay or donate, and people who really need secured and private email service.

I don't see a reason to maintain free accounts any longer, and make myself or paid subscribers to cover the cost.
scryptmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2017, 05:59 PM   #5
edu

I know and I understand it, I was only giving my opinion about your decision but I hope your company will go well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryptmail View Post
Thank you for feedback, when I started this project I was under impression, that people looking for private and encrypted email service, and they will appreciate work I've done by giving donations and later on, many will find it useful to get paid accounts. However donations weren't even enough to cover cost of infrastructure. With that said, I realized that there are few types of users: freebie-seekers, who won't pay or donate, and people who really need secured and private email service.

I don't see a reason to maintain free accounts any longer, and make myself or paid subscribers to cover the cost.
edu is offline   Reply With Quote