EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 16 Oct 2017, 06:55 PM   #1
Stiletto

"Detaching" forwarded messages

This was a feature I used back in 2003 to merge content from a few email accounts into my Fastmail account.
https://blog.fastmail.com/2006/03/14...ssages-action/

Effectively I could take a forwarded email, and copy the forwarded email bit into my own email account as a new-to-me message with the same subject, sender, send date, etc. as the original, almost as if I had copied the message from one inbox to another.

I cannot remember if it only worked for forwarded emails which attached the forwarded message as an attachment (Outlook does/did use to do this I think) or not.

At any rate, I'm looking in the current interface and I wasn't seeing it listed. Was this feature removed at some point over the years? Is it only an active menu choice for forwarded messages which have attached the forwarded message as an attachment?

Last edited by Stiletto : 16 Oct 2017 at 07:02 PM.
Stiletto is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17 Oct 2017, 08:57 AM   #2
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

The capability is present in the current interface, but is not obvious. You must select the attachments you wish to extract. You are then offered the function to extract to current folder.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2017, 07:56 PM   #3
MagicDavid

Lightbulb

Massive +100 from me on this.

I've been asking for this to be reinstated for ages now. I was promised it was on a list, but still no sign.

If someone knows a way to do this on the new interface please let me know. I currently have a folder full of messages waiting for this feature.

When it was available (before the old interface was switched off) I'd use the 'detach attached message' feature several times a day when forwarding messages from one account to another (normally from my work email to my personal).

Fastmail said they were looking at bringing this feature across to new. I suggested that it could go in the 'more' drop down on the message screen, or next to 'view' and 'download' labels on the attachment icon as it used to be, or from the drop down in the inbox list. Anywhere would be fine, but somewhere.

If others miss this, please show your support.

Many thanks

David
MagicDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2017, 08:05 PM   #4
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicDavid View Post
If others miss this, please show your support.
+1

I do not use this capability as much as you, David, but I agree it is an important feature.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2018, 07:55 AM   #5
cyberpear

Please add this feature back in! Or at least the ability to "reply" to or "forward" attached messages!
cyberpear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2018, 11:28 AM   #6
Grhm
Essential Contributor

+1
I used to use this function quite a lot, and I'd welcome its reintroduction.
Grhm is offline   Reply With Quote