EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 7 Apr 2009, 12:40 AM   #1
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Cool New Webmail in beta

Note: You will find all the new features in this thread described in our RMM 5 Guide.

It's been a long time in the making, but the new Runbox Webmail (RMM 5) is finally ready for beta testing!

Much of the work has revolved around improving the database structure to make the Webmail database queries more efficient, ensure IMAP compatibility, and support nested folders.

On top of this we've started improving other Webmail functionality and upgrading the design, and will continue working on this in the time to come. At first glance it looks quite similar to the old Webmail, but you will notice the following new features:
  • Nested folders
    • This is probably the single most requested feature ever, and it's finally here: A Webmail folder hierarchy to help you keep all those messages organized!
    • Existing folders will probably be shown directly on the root level initially. Any folders with dots (.) in the folder name (the folder separator used by the IMAP server) can be displayed as nested in the Webmail by using our folder structure converter. Just click the "Folder problems" link at the bottom of the folder list to convert your folders or correct any inconsistencies.
    • The message counters in the folder list are stored in a much more efficient manner in the database for the new Webmail. Initially they might all display as "0", but this will be automagically corrected on any folder action or if you manually refresh the new Webmail screen after correcting the folder structure.
    • The radio buttons next to the folder names (and the "Move messages" button) have been removed, and folder actions now apply to the opened/current folder.
    • To create a folder at the root level, first click your email address at the top of the folder list.
    • We're working on a solution for moving subfolders and improve the folder action buttons further.
  • Drag & drop messages
    • To move messages between folders, just check the corresponding check boxes and drag one of the messages to the folder of choice.
    • You can also move an opened message by dragging its title/subject field.
  • New Compose screen
    • In the new Webmail, Compose will by default open in a new window, much like in an email client (this is likely to become a user preference). This increases the responsivity, especially because it no longer includes the folder list, and provides more room for the nicknames list.
    • The HTML editor in Compose is brand new, with many new functions and improved compatibility.
  • Upgraded Drafts folder
    • Drafts now works more like a regular folder, and is IMAP compatible.
    • Drafts are now saved with any attachments intact.
  • Improved Webmail header area
    • The sub-header with the page title and feedback messages has been improved.
Although the new Webmail should be entirely safe to use, you might want to try it with a non-critical account in the beginning to avoid any folder-related mishaps (feel free to register a trial account for this purpose).

Now, there are actually two versions of the new Webmail; a modern AJAX-based version which is faster and more interactive, and a regular version that will reload the entire page on each request similar to the old Webmail.

This link will take you straight to the fancy version: http://beta.runbox.com/mail?version=new

To use the basic version, just click the "Switch to basic Webmail" link at the bottom of the folder pane.

In the time to come we will keep working to improve both the functionality and the look/feel of the Webmail further, and we'd like your feedback as we go along.

So have a go and let us know what you think!

- Geir

Last edited by Geir : 16 Aug 2009 at 09:12 AM.
Geir is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 7 Apr 2009, 03:21 AM   #2
bjornh

Looks great so far. Looking forward to a solution to move folders.

I found one problem and that is the dropdown menus are not working correctly in Safari 4 beta on the Mac. it looks like the dropdown menu appears behind the bar.

I would also like a easier way to see if I have unreads in any folder.
bjornh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Apr 2009, 06:03 AM   #3
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Thanks for your feedback!

We'll look into the dropdown issue if more people are seeing the same as you.

We have already re-implemented the bold foldernames for folders containing unread messages.

- Geir
Old 7 Apr 2009, 06:30 AM   #4
odedp
Master of the @

Can't send messages...

I can't send messages from AJAX webmail beta.
After composing the new message and clicking on "SEND" button the compose screen gets closed but nothing else happens.
Trying to send from basic webmail works fine.

Oded
odedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Apr 2009, 06:35 AM   #5
beq
Cornerstone of the Community

Would you happen to have a screenshot?
beq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Apr 2009, 06:45 AM   #6
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Oded,

Try to do a force-reload of the compose screen -- I think it might be caused by a cached Javascript file in your browser.

- Geir
Old 7 Apr 2009, 07:11 AM   #7
odedp
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geir View Post
Oded,

Try to do a force-reload of the compose screen -- I think it might be caused by a cached Javascript file in your browser.

- Geir
I did. It didn't help (IE 7.0)
Although the main screen displays :"Messge has been sent" nothing happens.
However trying the same with Firefox works flawlessly

Oded.
odedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Apr 2009, 08:58 AM   #8
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
I think I managed to work around this problem and it should now work in both IE and Firefox.

However, I noticed that saving drafts no longer seems to work. We'll look into this tomorrow.

- Geir
Old 7 Apr 2009, 09:58 AM   #9
kservik
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornh View Post
Looking forward to a solution to move folders.
We are looking at a way to move folders. Thanks for your feedback
kservik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Apr 2009, 01:50 PM   #10
Hensie

When viewing a message I click on "View original HTML in new window" and I only get this error message:
Error: The specified file can not be found: msg-26131-2.ttml
Hensie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Apr 2009, 07:06 PM   #11
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Hensie,

We've confirmed that there is a problem with attachments and we're working to resolve it!

- Geir
Old 7 Apr 2009, 08:39 PM   #12
tomhab
Essential Contributor

Is it just me or is it really slow?
tomhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Apr 2009, 08:47 PM   #13
tomhab
Essential Contributor

If you're in one folder then jump to another, the title doesn't change. eg

* Start in Junk and titles says "RMM - Junk (2/29000)"
* Mark 2 new junk as 'read' then move to Inbox again
* Title still says "RMM - Junk (2/29000)" even though there are no unread messages in Junk, and you're now in inbox
Old 7 Apr 2009, 09:00 PM   #14
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
The speed and responsivity will depend greatly on the size of your account and your folders. Several thousand messages in a folder is likely to slow it down. The new Webmail should overall be faster than the old version, and we are working to improve performance further.

I couldn't reproduce the problem you described -- which browser are you using?

- Geir
Old 7 Apr 2009, 09:28 PM   #15
tomhab
Essential Contributor

Firefox 3.0.8, and IE 7.0.5730.11 both...

I don't think its particularly complicated. Maybe if I simplify it:

* Title (as in bar along the top of the window) says "RMM - Inbox (0/137) - Windows Internet Explorer"
* Click on Sent folder and it says "Loading" for a bit, then switches to Sent folder but title doesn't change

Separately, I just noticed my CPU (AMD 1500XP Athlon so no beast) maxed out for 3 or 4 seconds when changing folder - could explain the slow speed. I have around 40,000 messages between 10 folders.