EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 5 Mar 2007, 03:51 AM   #1
alicemagooey

comment about forum and question

Hello..

i first wanted to make a comment about this forum..
...***may i say that i am really impressed?..***

i just read one of the most recent threads (entitled:'diagnose me')..and, it was so refreshing to me to see a forum where individuals will apoologise for mistakes and /or misunderstandings(if and when they may occur);change point of view (If another one is voiced which makes sense) and generally act with respect towards one another .

congratulations to you all.! i have not read many threads..but from what i have read, you are all a knowledgeable group, and very respectful of others.. THIS IS VERY GOOD

ok..that being said .i have a question or two.

I am not a computer wizard. i have had two computers in my lifetime, and used the e mail programs offered by the computers in their respective installed programs.
I have also used Yahoo, Hotmail, and now G mail..as web based e mail loci.

ok concerning one of my questions:
i have a friend. This person says that he cannot write me an e mail using different colors, or fonts.
He says his computer and Internet provider do not have the capabilities to do so.

Is this correct?
He has Net Zero as an internet provider. Is that an important factor ? he uses their e mail program.
other details are
To tell the truth, i do not know what his Computers Operating System is, nor the e mail program (installed) on his computer.

perhaps i need to know this. Do I?

i would like to assist him to either find a web based e mail program which will enable him to use different fonts, font sizes, colors, etc, or to tap into his computers own installed e mail software to do this.

would someone be so kind as to instruct me as to how this works...?

i have another question which may be similar.
I have a Mac. My mail program allows me to use 'rich text' in my e mails.
But i cannot use yahoo mail's option of rich text (beta) when i use it with my computer.

knotty problems and not simple to me..but i am sure you will be able to straighten out my understanding.

many thanks
alice

Last edited by alicemagooey : 5 Mar 2007 at 04:03 AM.
alicemagooey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5 Mar 2007, 05:39 AM   #2
JRobert
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicemagooey View Post
i have a friend. This person says that he cannot write me an e mail using different colors, or fonts.
He says his computer and Internet provider do not have the capabilities to do so.[/b]
I don't know what software NetZero provides, but
if he is using his web-browser (e.g., Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, or Safari), it is quite possible that there no rich-text capability provided. He could instead use an mail program on his own computer (as you do) to access his email, and most of those will allow sending rich-text. What program to use would depend on his computer and opertating system, and whether he would choose to use the provided mail program or install a third-party program. This page shows the mail settings for NetZero mail and how to set up some of the popular mail programs. Another possibility would be for him to get a free Yahoo mail account. Their newer beta mail interface does provides rich-text capability.
Quote:
[b]
But i cannot use yahoo mail's option of rich text (beta) when i use it with my computer.
Hmm, I don't what's going on here. I just sent myself a rich-text mail from Yahoo to another account, and was able to see colors, highlighting and bolding, as sent. So Yahoo's part of that does work. Can you be more specific about how you can't use it? Can you see the rich text as you create the e-mail? If so, is the recipient unable to see it? What browser are you using to create the email on Yahoo? What software is the recipient using to try to read it? Do you (or they) get any error messages? Does anything unusual happen, or fail to happen, at either end? That would help us try to figure out what to do next.

-jeff-
JRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Mar 2007, 05:42 AM   #3
Luzo
Essential Contributor

Quote:
it was so refreshing to me to see a forum where individuals will apoologise for mistakes and /or misunderstandings(if and when they may occur);change point of view (If another one is voiced which makes sense) and generally act with respect towards one another .
Heh, Ernie, Theog, he is talking 'bout us

To answer your questions :
1) I don't know NetZero's mail program, but I am pretty sure that the NetZero's webmail offers Rich Text or HTML (I might be incorrect). If you want to advice him, talk him about GMail (gmail.com, they have just opened their signups), or maybe HotMail. There are lots of webmails which are offering Rich Text editing, and I am also sure that Earthlink (earthlink.com, which is free) offer Rich Text.

2) I think Yahoo! didn't made their Rich Text editing compatible with your MAC Browser. You should wait for that function until it appears, or maybe just change to another provider.

Hope I've answered your questions (I did my best).
Luzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Mar 2007, 06:59 AM   #4
alicemagooey

thank you

Thank you,Robert and Luzo..

Yes, Luzo..my comments were about you all..

ok..Luzo, you are correct, i do believe. Yahoo's rich text format is not compatible with my browser, i think.

It has been a while since i tried it, but even when i click on "try new beta rich text options', there are no keys to click on to change font, etc. I wonder if they will ever make it compatible with Safari (my browser.)
i considered treying it with Firefox (my secondaery browser, but as i remember, i embarked upon the project and decided why not just use the e mail program i have on my Mac which makes awesome , simple colour changes and font changes when desired.
I like when e mails have response in a different, seperate colour from the original ..
it makes response simpler.
That one function alone, i would like to enable my friend to use, because when we respond to e mails, sometimes multiple times, he has to resort to making new paragraphs distinct by using ***** or ###.
I figured there must be a simpler way.

i have a sneaking suspicion that hidden within the netzero e mail function, there is a little button he can click to alternate between html and text messages, which may help somewhat.
Netzero is advertised as a very economical Internet Access,e mail , and Storage service. Perhaps they only have the most basic text functions.

well, i have rambled.
thank you for your responses.
if anyone has any further ideas as to how to get my friend more options, please let me know here.

i will tell him about Yahoo mail..which has the rich text beta option...and see if that works for him.

thanks again
alice
Old 5 Mar 2007, 10:16 AM   #5
JRobert
Master of the @

Quote:
Yahoo's rich text format is not compatible with my browser, i think.
Hi Alice,
I'm afraid you're right. I just tried logging into my Yahoo account with Safari on my girlfriend's Mac, and was shown a message that Yahoo mail beta was not compatible with the browser. Since it sounds like you have Firefox installed, you should be able to access the feature from that browser if you ever need to.

-jeff-
Old 5 Mar 2007, 05:12 PM   #6
alicemagooey

Thnks, J Robert,. for tryijng that on the Mac.

yes, this is what i get also.

will keep fiddling..it is really for my friend that i am trying to do this.

his e mail is all on one level also..by this i mean that original and response appears the same, as does additional responses..my e mail progem differentiates.

makes it much easier to read e mails and respond, and read responses, when they are on different l;evels or different colors.

many thanks
alice
Old 5 Mar 2007, 10:14 PM   #7
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

As far as I know, the only email "program" Netzero specifically provides is their webmail. When logging into the Netzero webmail, on a Windows machine and using the IE6 browser, and clicking on the "Write message" button, if one's preferences are set to "plain text" by default, there is a "Switch to Rich Text" link immediately above the composition window. Conversely, if in the rich text mode, there is a "Switch to Plain Text" link just above the rich text toolbar at the top of the composition window.

Although one should be able to switch to the desired mode while in the Compose screen regardless, the default mode can be set by clicking on the small "Settings" link/dropdown near the upper right corner of the screen then clicking on "Email Features" (as opposed to "Voicemail Features"), then clicking on "Writing Messages - Change your options for writing messages" in the Preferences column, finally checking or unchecking "Write messages with rich text using different colors, fonts and images" and clicking the Save button.

Be advised though, that the above-mentioned "Settings" link seems to have a "bug", at least with my system, such that it doesn't work while I'm actually in the "Compose" screen itself, but I must go to the Inbox list view or some other screen before the link seems to work properly. But again, the link to toggle the current editing mode between plain or "rich" text seems to always be available just above the composition window.

However, if your friend is using a paid Netzero account and accessing his email via POP3 through an email "client" on his own machine, of course his rich text options will be according to whatever is available with that particular client/program, so one would have to know which program that is in order to advise.

Last edited by xmailer : 5 Mar 2007 at 10:21 PM.
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Mar 2007, 12:47 AM   #8
alicemagooey

MANY THANKS ..QUESTIONS BEAUTIFULLY ANSWERED...

THANK YOU AGAIN..

alice
Old 6 Mar 2007, 06:32 AM   #9
King Of Email
Cornerstone of the Community

Everyone.net free email

alice, have your friend sign up for any Everyone.net free web based email account all of which have advanced compose options: font, colors, and backgrounds which work for both Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox and Windows and Mac. As for myself, I like nice, soothing inbox page views other than a blinding white background so try a free, easy, and short email account at:

http://www.v.gg/
King Of Email is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Mar 2007, 08:01 AM   #10
btn

Representative of:
Everyone.net
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobert View Post
Since it sounds like you have Firefox installed, you should be able to access the feature from that browser if you ever need to.
Jeff is correct that Yahoo! Mail Beta's RTE works on Mac OS X with Firefox. Our RTE works in Safari 2 with the exception of a few features that aren't yet supported by Safari. The next major update to Safari should allow us (and others) to enable more RTE functionality in Safari.
btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Mar 2007, 01:39 AM   #11
alicemagooey

thank you,King of e mail and the other person who responded. (sorry, forgot it when i came to write this response.)

questions:
oh i feel like a dolt..i went to V...i guess that is where i sign up for the free mail called everywhere mail?

also, what is RDE..? mentioned in the second response.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME AND INFORMATION.

alice
Old 7 Mar 2007, 12:11 PM   #12
btn

Representative of:
Everyone.net
Quote:
also, what is RDE..? mentioned in the second response.
RTE is a generic acronym for Rich Text Editor. You can tell that you're using an RTE if you can style text via a formatting toolbar much like one you would find in a modern world processor such as Microsoft Word. Most modern web-based email services feature a WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) RTE that allows you to see your changes in real-time without the need to enter a preview mode.
btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Mar 2007, 01:09 PM   #13
alicemagooey

thanks BTN now i understand..!

somuch to learn

alice
Old 7 Mar 2007, 01:23 PM   #14
alicemagooey

Jeff and BTN...i am confused...

i opened an account at the site you posted link to..
you said it was compatible with Mac...

does not seem to be..that i can see..will you help me or should i go to admin.?

i do not see anythng about RTM or anything of the sort to change the colors or fonts in the messages i send..am i supposed to use HTML to compose my messages with rich text features or what??

alice
Old 7 Mar 2007, 09:54 PM   #15
JRobert
Master of the @

Quote:
Jeff and BTN...i am confused...
i opened an account at the site you posted link to..
you said it was compatible with Mac...
I'm not clear about what site you're referring to but if it's Yahoo, it seems you'd have to use Firefox to have the Rich Text feature. In that case, on the compose screen, there's a "rich text" tag next to the Subject box that will enable the RTE. There must be a preference setting somewhere in Yahoo's mail options, as well, to set that as a default.

(If it wasn't my post you were referring to, oops - sorry.)

-jeff-