EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 10 Mar 2007, 05:34 PM   #1
lgnki

Blackberry and IMAP...wait a second...

Ok so I just got a shiny new blackberry, my very first one. I was under the impression that I would be able to set up an IMAP account on the device and use it just as you would use the IMAP protocal of the desktop, with actions taken on the device reflecting on the main server. If I am not mistaken the blackberry email client works like this:

1. You tell the blackberry your mail account/password

2. The blackberry servers query your email constantly via POP3 and if a new mail is detected it forwards a copy of the email to your blackberry while enabling the 'leave original on server' setting.

Is this about right? Also, is there a way to get the traditional IMAP set up working on the blackberry WITHOUT a ton of work arounds?

Thanks!

Logan
lgnki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15 Mar 2007, 10:38 AM   #2
btn
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Everyone.net
BIS (Blackberry Internet Service) works out of the box with IMAP. BIS polls your IMAP account approximately every 15 minutes. It currently doesn't support IMAP-IDLE.

Use the "E-mail Settings" bookmark on your Blackberry to access the BIS login page where you can create a new BIS account and setup up your IMAP account.

Check with your IT department if you received your Blackberry from your employer. Your company may be using BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server).
btn is offline   Reply With Quote