EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > About this site...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

About this site... Do you have any thoughts, suggestions or comments about this site? Post them here...

Old 2 Mar 2020, 11:23 AM   #16
JeffK

I've been keeping an eye on users logged in to see if I can detect potential spammers. Many of the names are familiar and even ones I don't recognise have membership of the forum of 8 years or more. I'm coming up to 18 years. Lots of water under the bridge in that time. Indeed feeling the passage of time.
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Mar 2020, 10:29 PM   #17
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

I lost my cell phone....

Nah just kidding
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Mar 2020, 01:59 PM   #18
Bamb0
Master of the @

Hehe Im glad you are!
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Apr 2020, 04:59 AM   #19
Gankaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReuvenNY View Post
When are you hiding?
When? All the time, pretty much. Where? In my house. Why? Because we are all in lockdown. Who? I just said, all of us. What? You must be old too...having trouble hearing too?
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Apr 2020, 05:36 AM   #20
ReuvenNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gankaku View Post
When? All the time, pretty much. Where? In my house. Why? Because we are all in lockdown. Who? I just said, all of us. What? You must be old too...having trouble hearing too?
We are all "hiding" this way. I was referring to not showing up on this forum? So where are you hiding from the forum??
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Apr 2020, 05:21 PM   #21
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

There seems to be more activity from the spammers in the past few days.

Perhaps more regular visits from all the mods?
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Apr 2020, 05:24 PM   #22
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

More spam messages in percentage terms, not in absolute numbers, I think.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Apr 2020, 05:46 PM   #23
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

The problem is compounded by the length of time it takes for a spam post to be removed.

This year, we have had 3 out of 13 mods active on the forum, but if Australia based JeffK (Hi Jeff, I see you're online!) is not online we are waiting until later in the day when USA based mods decide to visit the forum.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Apr 2020, 06:09 PM   #24
JeffK

I have been trying to be a bit more effective lately. I may look as though I'm online but I'm actually away from my logged in laptop. I notice that much of the spam appears in the early afternoon my time so I'm a bit more careful when that happens.
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Apr 2020, 06:16 PM   #25
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
This year, we have had 3 out of 13 mods active on the forum
well, being a moderator isn't a life sentence :-)

The problem is Edwin, our absentee landlord, who cannot be bothered to allow new moderators, and possibly remove inactive ones.
Old 10 Apr 2020, 08:40 PM   #26
silverthe1

Wow, it's been years!

I couldn't have stumbled upon this thread at a more appropriate time. I created an account on EMD quite a few years back, and while I did make a couple of posts back then, I haven't been active on the forum at all over the past years.

Interestingly, I've visited EMD every now and then ever since I made an account here. So 2-3 days back, I decided to log in. I wasn't even sure if I remembered the password to my account, and the email account I used has now been deleted by me. But I did try logging in and voila! Here I am, making this post.

I checked my message list, and the oldest conversation I took part in on EMD dates back to 2011. It's really amazing, logging in after all these years. Time indeed flies, my fellow forum members.

To me, EMD is (and always will be) the best place to know any and everything about email. And even though I'm not sure if I'll get back to posting actively here, I'll always have fond memories of this place. I love email; I have always preferred it over crap like Facebook and WhatsApp, and I hope it stays forever. Because as long as there is Email, there will be EMD.

Take care everyone, and stay safe!
silverthe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2020, 10:00 PM   #27
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
I love email; I have always preferred it over crap like Facebook and WhatsApp, and I hope it stays forever.
One reason I love email over the others is that it creates a record of life. Yesterday I was looking for something and stumbled across one of those hoax emails forwarded to me by a good friend who died about 12 years ago. Just seeing his name in the list of emails brought back a flood of memories, and I could easily search and find many messages we shared back and forth. Doing the same search I also stumbled upon the first test email I ever sent with Gmail back in 2006, which went to my son who was 13 at the time. Luckily, way back then I created and saved good Gmail addresses for my family using their real names, which they still use today.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2020, 10:45 PM   #28
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Luckily, way back then I created and saved good Gmail addresses for my family using their real names
In retrospect: do you still think this was a good idea? I mean real names, not Gmail accounts as such.
Old 10 Apr 2020, 10:57 PM   #29
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
In retrospect: do you still think this was a good idea? I mean real names, not Gmail accounts as such.
Absolutely! They make an instant impression whenever you send an important email, like for a job application. Sure, for some things you may not want your real name used, but that is what alternate email addresses are for. Everyone should have available an email address that somehow incorporates their real name, even if you have to do so by purchasing your own domain. Keep it for life for those really important emails.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote