EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 28 Sep 2007, 05:15 AM   #61
Sherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmueller View Post
Sherry, can you show me a screen shot of what your screen looks like. It shouldn't be *that* huge, I'd just like to see what it looks like.
WinXP IE6 800x600

Ok, the first link is to show the big blue bar (or at least what looks big to me ). Since I was taking screenshots I also included links to how a single picture looks in the new screen. In the old one it looks the same but it had a choice of clicking on "Original" below the single picture to see what it's suppose to look like (to me the original looks much clearer, especially the folder names etc).

Not a big deal for me as I haven't sent out links to that stuff in a couple of years when I quit working on them. Just thought for those that may put in pictures for e-bay or Craig's list they may need to see the actual real picture to see details of what they are selling. For scenic type pictures I don't think you even notice the lack of details?

Big Blue Bar

Single Picture

Original Picture

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2007, 05:26 AM   #62
David
Ultimate Contributor

Wow Sherry. It looks like the only mail you receive are Fastmail newsletters. How come I never get any of those
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2007, 05:39 AM   #63
ewal
Master of the @

Sherry

Is there any reason you need to run your display at 800x600?

The machine I'm presently on is set at 1280x1024 and if I switch to 800x600 the blue bar at the top becomes VERY dominant. At finer settings it really is not troublesome, actually quite pleasing.

Ed
ewal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2007, 05:43 AM   #64
Sherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Wow Sherry. It looks like the only mail you receive are Fastmail newsletters. How come I never get any of those
I took those shots on an account that doesn't get any email, except from FastMail (not my main account )

Sherry
Old 28 Sep 2007, 05:49 AM   #65
Sherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewal View Post
Is there any reason you need to run your display at 800x600?
Yep, on anything set for a higher resolution everything is way to small. I'd have to set individual things (like desktop icons/text etc) to be larger. You'd be surprised at how many want that changed. I got "many" phone calls from customers who got a new PC and Monitor. They called to ask me if I could get everything to look like it did because everything was so small. I'd walk them through setting it back to 800x600 and they were thrilled it looked better for them (so I know it's not just me ).

Sherry
Old 28 Sep 2007, 06:01 AM   #66
eggman
Essential Contributor

Hi Rob

Any chance you can generate a link on the beta server that builds the url in the format:
http://www.fastmail.fm/userdirsb/myurl

i.e. replace what the "link" option shows.

that would help people test ?

looking good though!
eggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2007, 06:05 AM   #67
David
Ultimate Contributor

I use 800 x 600 resolution on my old Panasonic laptop with an 8" x 6" screen. If I set the resolution to 640 x 480 I only get to see one tiny corner of my Fastmail screen (I have not checked my Fastmail photo gallery on it as yet)
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2007, 08:35 AM   #68
hieronymouse

embedded slideshow feature?

It would be great if you could add an embed slideshow feature, like picasaweb, i.e. provide the code that enables embedding to another web page.
hieronymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2007, 09:14 AM   #69
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
ewal: Can you send me a link at robm@fastmail.fm, I'll have a look what's going on.

Sherry: The title area is big, but unfortunately it is a tradeoff between screen resolutions. Currently 1024x768 is apparently by far the most common resolution used (60% - http://www.useit.com/alertbox/screen_resolution.html). It's not like it looks terrible in 800x600, it just looks a bit dominant. I'm tempted to leave it for now.

Regarding getting the "Original" image, which always looks better because it's not scaled, you can still do that two ways:

1. Login to your account, go to Files, find the picture you want the original link for, and just right click the (link) value in the Website column and copy that URL

2. In the photo gallery mode, for the picture you want, go to the Download area, when the menu pops up, go to the Original item, then right click and copy that URL. Paste the URL into text editor, and remove the part that says "asatt=1" from it. If you then copy and paste that back into the address bar, you'll see it appears in the browser window, rather than trying to download to disk.

And one other thing about screen resolutions in windows. As I've been getting a bit older, I've found that I don't quite have the resolving resolution I used to have. Rather than changing the resolution on my laptop which causes rather "fuzzy" text and image, I've done 3 things which allow you to leave the resolution at the native display resolution, but increase font and text sizes.

1. Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Display. Appearance tab, set Font Size to "Extra Large"
2. Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Display. Settings tab. Click Advanced. General tab. Change the DPI setting from 96dpi to 120dpi or higher
3. If you use firefox, download the "NoSquint" extension, which allows you to easily increase the default font sizes (ctrl + and ctrl -) and remembers them persistently on a per-site basis.

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2007, 09:19 AM   #70
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewal View Post
1. When using the spacebar I get a larger version of the relevant picture (the native size of the picture) and then only advance to the next picture when I press the spacebar again. (this using Firefox, can't use IE at the moment where I am).
I'm not sure what's going on here. Can you explain exactly where you are, what mode you're in when you hit the spacebar, what mode it changes to, and what you see? Basically, exact steps like:

1. Go to http://xyz
2. Click on abc
3. Hit spacebar. I see Q
4. Hit spacebar again. I see W

etc

Rob
Old 28 Sep 2007, 11:02 AM   #71
Sherry

Quote:
Sherry: The title area is big, but unfortunately it is a tradeoff between screen resolutions.
No problem. Not that big a deal.
Quote:
Regarding getting the "Original" image, which always looks better because it's not scaled, you can still do that two ways:
I already do 1 now. As for 2 that would be way to complicated for customers. However those instructions may not be wasted for some who use the new gallery and have a family/friend who would like to download the good photo after bringing it up.
Quote:
And one other thing about screen resolutions in windows.
Thanks for the suggested settings for that however I've tried those in the past and they don't change everything. IIRC even the size of the Display Properties stays very small and many programs wind up small with small text. With 800x600 everything gets bigger. Just going by memory as testing it now would screw up my organized desktop.

Sherry
Old 28 Sep 2007, 03:17 PM   #72
ewal
Master of the @

Quote:
I'm not sure what's going on here. Can you explain exactly where you are, what mode you're in when you hit the spacebar, what mode it changes to, and what you see? Basically, exact steps like:

1. Go to http://xyz
2. Click on abc
3. Hit spacebar. I see Q
4. Hit spacebar again. I see W

etc

Rob
I have looked at this more closely. Basically the spacebar acts as a toggle between Slideshow and Single, this then will give effect I mentioned. Intuitively I was using the spacebar to advance to the next picture (as many other picture viewing software does) but was trapped into the Fastmail Slideshow/Single toggle.

So I guess it comes down to a choice of what keyboard shortcuts you choose. My preference would be to have the spacebar advance to the next picture. Additionally having the left/right arrow keys go to previous and next picture resp. And having the slideshow started via a specific screen mouseclick. Using J and K does not, to me, appear intutitive at all.

Ed
ewal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2007, 04:59 PM   #73
SamVilde
Essential Contributor

Photo gallery looks great! Never used it before because it looked kind of unprofessional, but am getting closer to being able to use it.

Questions:

1) Used to have no problems entering details for any photos stored in a folder set to <photos>, but now when I go to that page in file storage can't find the option to edit title, details, information. Where did it go? ! Found it ! Sorry! But is there a way to change the title of the photo as displayed in the photoalbum AWAY from the file title? Eg. the file is saved as beachdogs.jpg; I would like the title that displays to be 'dogs on the beach' without changing the file name.

2) Support what someone else said above about being able to enter user-specific links on the page, eg. a link that would point from my photos page back to my webpage

3) (asking too much) Anyway to have user-controlled style sheets for the gallery? Or otherwise alter the header? Would be able to tie styles from website & gallery page.

Thanks,
Sam

Last edited by SamVilde : 30 Sep 2007 at 05:06 PM.
SamVilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Oct 2007, 08:03 PM   #74
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
1. Currently it's just the filename I'm afraid.

I have an idea on this though. I was thinking if you set the the comment to:

---
Title: This becomes the photo title

The remainder of the comment becomes the actual comment at the bottom of the picture.
---

2. You can put specific HTML in the comments, eg links (<a href="blah">some text</a>), bold text (<b>some text</b>).

3. I was going to add this.

Rob
Old 2 Oct 2007, 03:28 PM   #75
SamVilde
Essential Contributor

Aha, thanks. Currently the title: thing doesn't work, but maybe in the future. Thanks.
SamVilde is offline   Reply With Quote