EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 26 Oct 2005, 09:16 AM   #1
ppm

Lightbulb Your Own Name

It would be good, in particular for those of us using several accounts for several family members, if the web interface could show the user's name (or even better a nickname of your own chosing) on the top left of all screens.
ppm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26 Oct 2005, 10:53 PM   #2
specialK
Essential Contributor

ppm, I understand why you would want this feature, however I think putting it in the top left would clutter the interface, especially considering most users will not need the feature.

So, alternatives. The username is shown when you log in:

Quote:
Welcome to FastMail.FM, Fname Lname. It's almost ten to three in the afternoon
Or fastmail could display the username under the resource usage meter?

Alternativly, if you're using a shared computer, users could log-out when they leave the machine, or you could use different user profiles (assuming you are using an operating system that supports this)
specialK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2005, 12:30 AM   #3
inVision

I would like that feature to... I don't need it (not atm) but I understand why someone would...

I'd like to see it at teh top left after Inbox and then in small print ( <username> )

inVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2005, 12:43 AM   #4
specialK
Essential Contributor

The problem comes when you have a long folder name and need the space though...
specialK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2005, 02:05 PM   #5
Sherry

Re: Your Own Name

Quote:
Originally posted by ppm
It would be good, in particular for those of us using several accounts for several family members, if the web interface could show the user's name (or even better a nickname of your own chosing) on the top left of all screens.
This has been requested many times through the years but, so far, nothing has come of it. There was a very recent thread about how the folder list moves up and down according to the info messages that appear at the top of the screen (like 3 messages deleted or 1 message sent). They want a fixed area for those messages to appear in so the folders stay in one place when they're ready to click on them. My suggestion was, when the Welcome User lines get refreshed it would be replaced with a single line starting with an account name (of the users choice). The info messages that come and go could go on that line after the account name like >
Name: 3 messages have been deleted.
If the message took more than the one line it would end with 3 dots and a mouse over would show the rest.
This idea would solve two request at the same time.

I would have just put a link to that other thread/post instead of retyping it but after a long search I couldn't find it.

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2005, 02:42 PM   #6
ppm

It's a very good suggestion which would solve any "screen real estate" problem while addressing the issue in the first place.
ppm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2005, 06:09 PM   #7
s a
Master of the @

&nbsp;
here's a quick solution (the result is fairly ugly but you can spend time improving on the basic idea);

Screenshot (the username appears at the top left corner)

You need

a. the custom.css stylesheet located here and
b. the picture file which contains your username

Steps;

a. Download the JPEG file and then open it in an editor (I used "Paint"). Edit the picture, replacing "user@ftml.net" with your own username.

b. upload it to your file storage space - and make it "public".

c. Open the custom.css file (using notepad for example) and look for the line;

.HdrTbl { background-image : url("http://sa_test.fastmail.fm/blue.JPG"); background-color: #155D96;}

replace the URL with the URL for your custom JPEG picture.

d. Finally, upload the custom.css file to your FM storage space (to a folder named "styles").

naturally, you can use this .HdrTbl line in any stylesheet.

*warning* depending on your screen size, the JPEG-banner may get repeated (and your username will appear every "n" inches) - if this happens, simply lengthen the banner.
&nbsp;

Last edited by s a : 27 Oct 2005 at 06:18 PM.
s a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Nov 2005, 08:31 PM   #8
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Lightbulb

One very easy solution if what one needs is to be able to tell by just glancing which open browser window belongs to which family member is to use different stylesheets.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Nov 2005, 05:44 AM   #9
Sherry

Quote:
Originally posted by s a
*warning* depending on your screen size, the JPEG-banner may get repeated (and your username will appear every "n" inches) - if this happens, simply lengthen the banner.
Thanks for the idea however didn't work for me. I played around with it for awhile using your .css and .jpg and also putting a name in my gradient bar with my .css. Guess it just won't work with a screen size of 800x600. It doesn't appear every "n" inches but it's a fixed name on the bar so it gets covered with the word mailbox or whatever lands in that area.
(I kinda didn't want to load an external file anyway )

Anyway, thanks again.

Sherry
Old 4 Nov 2005, 12:33 AM   #10
s a
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by Sherry
It doesn't appear every "n" inches but it's a fixed name on the bar so it gets covered with the word mailbox or whatever lands in that area.
If it's covered by an existing "word" then move the username further to the left (in the picture file). This will force it to appear closer to where the word "Inbox" appears on your screen.

You can do this using "paint" (on windows) and then simply fill up the region you moved/cut the username from.

(I understand your not wanting to load external images though)
s a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Nov 2005, 03:05 AM   #11
Sherry

Quote:
Originally posted by s a
If it's covered by an existing "word" then move the username further to the left (in the picture file). This will force it to appear closer to where the word "Inbox" appears on your screen.
I didn't bother moving it closer to Inbox because that's the only screen it would show on. The word Compose (on the compose screen) is right next to Mailbox so it would be covered on there and on the others. I've been using Paint to put the name on my Gradient bar so I copy/paste the gradient over the name. (already moved it a few times). Anyway, for those using a higher resolution will have room for it if they don't mind or are already loading a bar at the top. Thanks again for the idea though.

Still would be nice if FM put a permanent line for the info messages and let us start it with a name or tell us if that's not reasonable to do.

Sherry