EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 13 Aug 2009, 12:40 AM   #1
xxl3ww

Question Cons for Tuffmail

I've been looking for Email hosting for some time now. I decided on fusemail for the longest because of the price, but after doing some research, it looks like they have big problems over there. I've been looking at Tuff Mail lately, and I have not found any negative feedback on the service. Also, all the extremely good reviews I have found on Tuff Mail are 1-2 years old. Does anyone currently use Tuff Mail now? Is there any way you can give me a pro/cons on them?
xxl3ww is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13 Aug 2009, 02:04 AM   #2
ukgangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxl3ww View Post
I've been looking for Email hosting for some time now. I decided on fusemail for the longest because of the price, but after doing some research, it looks like they have big problems over there. I've been looking at Tuff Mail lately, and I have not found any negative feedback on the service. Also, all the extremely good reviews I have found on Tuff Mail are 1-2 years old. Does anyone currently use Tuff Mail now? Is there any way you can give me a pro/cons on them?
Using Tuffmail now as my primary email service for my domains and have done since 2007.

In my opinion:

Pro: Very reliable and stable. Spam filtering is the best. Many options available, i.e. multiple forwarding, allow/deny lists, reject addresses, catchalls, etc.

Cons: Can be very technical or "geeky" for novice user, price can be expensive depending on size of mailboxe/s required, but well worth the money IMHO.

Do a search on this forum, there are many posts about Tuffmail.
ukgangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2009, 12:31 AM   #3
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

I think their services are fine, although I prefer Fastmail. My only complaint with them was from an old experience. Their FAQ states, "If you are not satisfied with our service for any reason during the first 30 days of paid service, we will issue a no questions asked refund." Although this may be true, their owner/support staff sent me a rather unprofessional (and rude) email regarding my usage of trial accounts. I would sign up, and forget that I had signed up, and would sign up again. He apparently didn't like the "extra work" involved of refunding me, so he requested I never sign up for a trial account again.

Not saying I wasn't necessarily in the wrong (albeit not intentionally) I got a sour taste from his attitude and at his request, haven't been back to test their services.

I'm also not a huge Squirrelmail/IMP fan, so that pretty much is a deal breaker regardless.
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2009, 07:24 AM   #4
earlzsta
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflorack View Post
Not saying I wasn't necessarily in the wrong (albeit not intentionally) I got a sour taste from his attitude and at his request, haven't been back to test their services..
Was this when Fastmail was having all those problems, and everybody that was hosting a domain with Fastmail jumped on his service? May not have been intentional but I think John was thinking along the lines as soon as Fastmail sorted out their problems all those people would move back to Fastmail and were just using his service (Tuffmail) as a temporary solution.

LOL
earlzsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2009, 07:35 PM   #5
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlzsta View Post
Was this when Fastmail was having all those problems, and everybody that was hosting a domain with Fastmail jumped on his service? May not have been intentional but I think John was thinking along the lines as soon as Fastmail sorted out their problems all those people would move back to Fastmail and were just using his service (Tuffmail) as a temporary solution.
I think you may be exactly right.

Still, if you promote a no questions asked policy, and there is nothing prohibiting it in the TOS, I don't feel like I was necessarily doing anything wrong. I was honestly evaluating the service.

Sorry, back on topic for those who know more than I do about Tuffmail..
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2009, 10:18 PM   #6
zinneken

leaving tuffmail

joined tuffmail shortly after they were created, never looked back on for me the most reliable email service since I got on email in 1994. However, this year, the scrapped annual payment. Can you believe this? they refuse to receive my money for 1 year and impose a monthly payment - this close to doubles the cost in credit card fees and currency exchange. So for me, this makes tuffmail impossible to continue to use
Looking for a tuffmail equivalent alternative for my email.

Silly people at tuffmail, why wouldn't they take my money for 1 year?
zinneken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2009, 04:49 AM   #7
ukgangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinneken View Post
impose a monthly payment
I thought it was quarterly now according to the main page at Tuffmail? My account is paid up till November, but being on a low income, quarterly payments would suit me fine.
Old 17 Aug 2009, 09:24 AM   #8
William9
The "e" in e-mail

I've been using Tuffmail for one of mail email services for several years. I'm very satisfied with it.
Pro: In my opinion it's very reliable, fast, and has excellent spam filtering. Excellent choice for IMAP using your email client of choice. Customer service is very good.
Con: The account management interface is somewhat complex, but generally OK and very customizable. There are several webmail application options. I like Horde -- it's a very powerful application, but I've heard from other users that none of the Tuffmail webmail choices are ideal.
I think Tuffmail is an excellent choice, especially when using your favorite IMAP client like Thunderbird, Apple Mail App or Outlook.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Sep 2009, 03:19 AM   #9
pin
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukgangster View Post
I thought it was quarterly now according to the main page at Tuffmail? My account is paid up till November, but being on a low income, quarterly payments would suit me fine.
You are given the choice of monthly or quarterly payments upon renewal. The monthly payment option is more expensive, the quarterly payment option should be a quarter of what you paid last year. So it shouldn't cost you anything to move to quarterly payments.

I would rather pay a year in advance to be honest, but seeing as there was no price increase for me at renewal it didn't really bother me.

As for the service itself, I have hosted my primary email account with them since November 05 and have no problems worth mentioning. I only use the service through IMAP and it's great. It is a bit technical and could be more user friendly but that kind of thing doesn't bother me as once it's set up it's set up! It wouldn't be my first choice if you primarily used webmail though.
pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Sep 2009, 08:23 AM   #10
mike809

I agree with the general assessment of ukgangster and William9.

One nice feature of Tuffmail that hasn't been mentioned is the ability to view in real time (or receive daily by e-mail) a report of e-mails accepted, rejected, discarded because of a virus, etc. Be wary of telling a Tuffmail user that an e-mail you supposedly sent him must have gotten stuck in his spam filter.
mike809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Sep 2009, 07:38 AM   #11
tgm1024

One of the things I'm a little dismayed with is the cost per GB of email storage. The sizes offered are very small IMO.
tgm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Sep 2009, 07:01 AM   #12
ukgangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike809 View Post
One nice feature of Tuffmail that hasn't been mentioned is the ability to view in real time (or receive daily by e-mail) a report of e-mails accepted, rejected, discarded because of a virus, etc. Be wary of telling a Tuffmail user that an e-mail you supposedly sent him must have gotten stuck in his spam filter.
Agreed, its the one killer feature that makes Tuffmail head and shoulders above the rest, I just wish other providers would so the same - I think I mentioned it in the Fastmail forums a while ago.
Old 20 Sep 2009, 02:34 PM   #13
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukgangster View Post
Agreed, its the one killer feature that makes Tuffmail head and shoulders above the rest, I just wish other providers would so the same - I think I mentioned it in the Fastmail forums a while ago.
pobox.com provides this feature, for both forwarding accounts and for hosted email accounts as well.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Oct 2009, 07:21 AM   #14
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinneken View Post
joined tuffmail shortly after they were created, never looked back on for me the most reliable email service since I got on email in 1994. However, this year, the scrapped annual payment. Can you believe this? they refuse to receive my money for 1 year and impose a monthly payment - this close to doubles the cost in credit card fees and currency exchange. So for me, this makes tuffmail impossible to continue to use
Looking for a tuffmail equivalent alternative for my email.

Silly people at tuffmail, why wouldn't they take my money for 1 year?
I've received my invoice today. I can pay monthly, quartely or annual.
Berenburger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Oct 2009, 12:05 PM   #15
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
I've received my invoice today. I can pay monthly, quartely or annual.
It looks like Tuffmail decided against shooting themselves in the foot

Last edited by David : 13 Oct 2009 at 10:25 PM. Reason: added missing word
David is offline   Reply With Quote