EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 5 Mar 2005, 12:23 AM   #256
cyrchris

I used to be with www.visto.com which was really great. But they were moving to another business and the free email account was closed. I was so mad, I thought I wouldn't find the same quality as emails provider. How wrong I was, FM really is over 1000% my expectations, I was a member since maybe 2000, at the beginning of FM and you guys are still improving it is unbelievable.
Now I have an enhanced account and still keep 2 members accounts as well, FM is a part of my life now as I used it everyday! It is fast, reliable, rich features, customizable ... I have 3 domains hosted and I enjoy managing my mail and web site in my main enhanced account.
The only disadvantage now is FM is too successfull as I can't access my mail behind a proxy at work, my company banned access to public webmail :-(... But 3g is coming so I hope FM will jump into it!
cyrchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Mar 2005, 03:17 AM   #257
Chipper
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by cyrchris
Now I have an enhanced account and still keep 2 members accounts as well, FM is a part of my life now as I used it everyday! It is fast, reliable, rich features, customizable ... I have 3 domains hosted and I enjoy managing my mail and web site in my main enhanced account.
SusanUKF — does this give you any ideas?
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2005, 09:24 PM   #258
Mal

I came, I saw, (and later) I went Enhanced.

FM works for me.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2005, 12:38 AM   #259
sreenadh
Essential Contributor

a friend indeed

Yes, fm is a friend in need.
Reliable, trustworthy,good feature & many upcoming cool feature and what not..............

Everything a man can ask out of his email............
sreenadh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jul 2005, 06:58 PM   #260
scaryduck

Just noticed the anti-phishing feature on my account:

Quote:
WARNING: URL text and host don't match, possible phishing attempt. URL disabled. Original URL='"http://paypal.com.login-user2947.info/webscr.php?cmd=LogIn"'. Original text='https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_login-run'. For more information on phishing click here.
Excellent!
scaryduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jul 2005, 09:55 AM   #261
anishinaabe

Cool FastMail-Fantastic Idea Guys

I have tried just about any type of well known free email services (Yahoo, HotMail, etc). And still they loaded up with all types of advertisements. I do realize that these free email services must maintain services; however, FastMail has found a great way to avoid that "eye candy".

One day I searched for how may free web-based email services there were; that was a shock! I researched a lot of review sites about free email services and then the following:

I stumbled onto FreeMail. Read the review and find out that it was created in Austrailia (a pleasant suprise).

Have used the services for the last week. The name says it all!

Loads incredibly fast, can do what I have to do with no distractions.

To the gentlemen who created this service - my hat is off to you. Congratulations on a wonderful service! Once my next credit card statement is issued, I shall pay for membership.

Thanks FastMail!

Last edited by anishinaabe : 10 Aug 2005 at 06:14 AM.
anishinaabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Aug 2005, 03:07 AM   #262
oblivious69

I've been a full member for a few months...signed up after doing some research...I've still been trying different email hosts while with fastmail...but I like my choice more and more everyday...

I like it so much that I moved my wife's email hosting here as well!
oblivious69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Aug 2005, 07:12 PM   #263
JeffK

I moved a request for help from this testimonials thread to here...

http://www.emaildiscussions.com/...threadid=37199

JeffK
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Aug 2005, 03:07 AM   #264
MagicDavid

I've been using a Fastmail Enhanced Account for several months. I've tried several free and premium providers and It's surely the best mail service for the money - so many features.

I'm amazed at how my spam levels have reduced over the past few months - they have reduced from around 20 to 30 a day to 1 or 2 - and some days none at all!

My one, minor criticism is that it's had a little more outages than I'm used to for a premium mail provider - but this seems to be stabilising.

All in all it's a fabulous service and I've already signed up several family members and friends to enhanced accounts for all the extra features they provide!

Keep up the good work!

David
MagicDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2005, 08:18 PM   #265
Akin

Hi all. This is obviously my first post here, but I've been following this forum for months. I just got myself a Full Account. So I decided to start posting here. I wrote the following as a blog entry recently. So I thought I might as well post it here as a testimonial. I've stripped all the links because I wasn't sure if they would constitute "advertising" according to the forum rules.

--

I've never bought nor paid anything on the internet. Well, actually, that's not true. I've ordered a book from Amazon from a gift certificate that I obtained, and I've ordered several times from ELX. But other than those two, I've never paid for any services on the internet.

That trend changed since I used FastMail. I started out with their free Guest account. It's only got 10 MB of space, but that didn't worry me. I never store mails on the server anyway. Besides, FastMail provided clean interface and most importantly for me, IMAP access.

It took me about 2 weeks before I decided that I liked the service so much, I'd upgrade to a Member account for a modest one-time fee. So... I then no longer had the tagline at the end of my e-mails. And I now had access to advanced virus scanner, larger quota, powerful sieve rules, etc. I was very happy with it. Even after the sudden rush by providers to give e-mail quota larger than 100 MB, I was very happy with my 16 MB account.

Fast forward a year and a half later, I decided that it's time to take the next step and become a Full member. My main motivation for this is to gain access to the advanced spam filter that they have. Everything else is irrelevant to me. Sure now I have 600 MB space which can receive/send 30 MB attachments. But it's the access to SpamAssassin that sold me.

I admit, I was so excited when I got the e-mail notifying that the administrator had put the money into my pool and I could activate my Full member subscription whenever I'm ready. It was so exciting when I did. I just played around with the new settings that I now have access to for a while. I'm like a little kid who got a new toy for Christmas. Not that I ever got a toy for Christmas when I was a little kid, though.

So I am now a Full member, I am very happy with the service, and I have full intention of renewing my contract indefinitely.
Akin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2005, 08:34 PM   #266
llista

Thumbs up Unlimited capabilities and expanding

Since I got a full fastmail account I haven't stopped learning new things that can be done with an email account and didn't even know they existed.

I specially find the manuals very complete and useful and knowing that the fastmail team keeps working in improvements and dont just give you an account and forget about it, gives me peace of mind about catching up with the latest developments as I know they will be implemented as soon as they come out to the market and by far much before than most email providers.

Thanks, you really doing a good job !!
llista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2005, 11:43 AM   #267
SamVilde
Essential Contributor

Fastmail Versus Gmail

It's a little bit weird to be this in love with a company. Here's a copy of an email I sent to my mother.

Here are [some of] the reasons I love fastmail:

* ALIASES. Keep a couple of dummy email addresses around, for ease of
filtering mail. For example, I might give the address
blahblahblah@mailbolt.com to anyone from whom I make orders on the web. Then I set up a filter that puts anything going to mailbolt.com into a folder called 'web orders'. When I'm applying for jobs, I give out the email teacher@cluemail.com. Then I set up a filter which puts everything arriving to cluemail.com into a folder called 'jobs'. I can post my resume on any number of message boards without worry. When I'm done applying for jobs, I delete the teacher@cluemail.com alias, and have no spam. Anything they send me is automatically returned because that address ceases to exist. I can even set up a web page attached to an alias, so no one who looks at a resume online can trace the address back to my homepage!

* PERSONALITIES. This lets you send email from any address you want. For example, I have a personality that sends mail claiming to be from blahblah@hotmail.com. I don't have to go to hotmail to send it. If
people reply, it replies to hotmail. I don't use this feature very
often, but you will. You set up a personality that sends mail from your
work address. It's helpful. I use it sometimes if I don't want someone to have my email address. You can have certain signatures attach to certain personalities.

* POP. I never use this, but you might. It checks my hotmail account
for me (can check other accounts too), and downloads the messages into my fastmail. You can set up filters for that too, so that it downloads your hotmail into a folder called 'hotmail'.

* IMAP. I don't really understand the difference between POP and IMAP, but fastmail claims that IMAP is better, and I believe them. The only part I (think) I understand is that using POP to bring email from your provider into your email client deletes your email from your provider. i.e., if I use POP to access my fastmail, all my mail goes gracefully into the mail ap, but it's gone forever from fastmail, and I therefore can't access it from other computers. If I use IMAP, however, it downloads a copy, leaving messages on the fastmail server. That way I can still access them from work. In addition, IMAP gives you greater
access to whatever folders you have set up in your web-based mail -- you can move things into and out of folders using your email client, and they are moved in your web-based email. When you log on at work, you'll find them where you put them. I think you can't do that with POP.

* FILE STORAGE. I use my file storage for my website, but it's good for
lots of things. It can store any kind of files -- like you could put
pictures in there, or songs, and send links to people and let them
download them, rather than forcing an automatic download via attachment. There are links to attach files from your storage space to your email too -- so, for instance, when I'm applying for jobs, I keep a copy of my resume in my file storage space, so that I can quickly attach it to emails whether I'm writing from home or not.

*FILTERS. Gmail probably has them too. Lots of options. Cool.

* NICE ADDRESS BOOK saves everything down to birthdays, and can sink download or upload address books to match your mac address book format.

* COMMUNITY OF USERS. People love fastmail so much that they hang out all day on the message board. If you have a question (my recent question on how to use the new DAV feature that allows you to upload things (like web pages) to file storage w ithout even opening up a web browser), you'll probably have a response within ten to fifteen minutes, day or night.

* REDIRECT rather than FORWARD. Sometimes you want to send forward email
to someone without losing the sender's address as the reply-to address. Or you want to get an email from your home account to your work account, but you want to be able it to show up as being from the person who sent it, and not from you, and you want to be able to hit reply and reply to them instead of replying to yourself. For that reason, it's nice to have the option to redirect an email from time to time rather than forwarding it.

* STYLE SHEETS. You can change the look of fastmail by using one of the many style sheets users have built, or make your own. I use the one called BERRY. It's got nice fonts and a pink color scheme. Not one of them is as ugly as gmail's interface. Yuck.

* FAST. When I lived in Africa, my email would load while my friends banged their heads on the table waiting hours for hotmail.

DISADVANTAGES?

It's true that gmail offers tons more space than fastmail's free account
(10mb?) or even their member level account (16mb?). I say that's a minor inconvenience... Lots of people who prefer fastmail solve that problem by setting up an auto-forward on their gmail account that saves one copy on their server and sends another to fastmail. Then you can use only fastmail, but let things store up in gmail without losing anything. Or you could pay. It's not much, and it's nice to give money to such a great service.
SamVilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Oct 2005, 12:50 AM   #268
stoffer

testimonial

Just wanted to add my bit about fastmail.fm being a superb service. I have a gmail account as well, and I'm grateful for the storage space it gives me, but I still keep fastmail as my primary account. The reason? They're constantly improving their site, whether it's to improve access/management of emails, security, or information for the user. It's all these little things that keep happening that make the difference. For instance, I'm amazed that they go so far as to inform the fastmail user about what is wrong with fastmail, lol! Today I was particularly pleased about the phishing notification I received, in that I wasn't aware of that service but see the need for it evermore. I just had to say thanks. It's good to know someone has their act together.
stoffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2005, 04:51 PM   #269
Satais

I'm not on these forums much but I've used fastmail for two years. I've never been disappointed by the quality of the service. After my first year I decided to become a paying member. Why bother when there are SO many free e-mail services? I wouldn't use ANY other e-mail serivce.

On my slow dial-up my inbox loads super fast. The bounce feature for spam is invaluable. Everything is so quick, that's what I need with e-mail. Not some pokey, graphic-laden, ad-filled service. Ugh! Everyone says, "fastmail.fm? What kind of e-mail is that?? Why don't you get hotmail like everyone else?"

Hotmail sucks. Once you try fastmail, you won't ever go back....
Satais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Oct 2005, 03:21 PM   #270
superstar

Going down memory lane...

I was just searching for a post that I wrote a few years ago, and it started to make me think about my years with FM and these message boards. I signed up in late 2001, which I suppose, makes me an early customer of FM. In 2003, I stepped up to a Member Account - and even though it was against "the rules," Jeremy Howard personally helped me transition to my new membership level.

Why have I stayed with FM all these years? 1.) Because I love my username and domain name; 2.) yes, even in the advent of Gmail and its features, FM still remains the fastest and (mostly) reliable email service (it has had its gliches over the past couple of years, but the management team has always kept us apprised of meltdown situations and resolved it as quickly as they could); and 3.) Since I have not had the luxury of personalized service as of yet (aside from above). the FM forums have always kept me up and running. In the beginning, Jeremy, and to a lesser extent, Rob were actively involved on the boards. As a testiment (I suppose) to the growth of FM, you don't see them as often, but a group of moderators (both new and old) keep us informed and (mostly) happy

After a good 4 years with FM, I will finally make the plunge to a yearly paid account. Which I should have done years ago, but just never got around to it. Even at a guest or member level, FM is really all you need in a primary account.
superstar is offline   Reply With Quote