EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 22 Feb 2007, 06:54 AM   #301
Paulius

Finally I've found what I was looking for

I thought that I'm to demanding and that e-mail service that would provide all features important to me doesn't exist. But then I finally found FastMail! What I like most: POP links, possibility to send messages with custom FROM and lots of variuos options. What I hated in other services -- one service has one set of usefull features, another -- different set. But I wanted to have it all in one! I don't like standart solutions, I want to customise my e-mail account the way it suits me the most. And FastMail provides this opportunity -- thank you for this very much!

I'm totally confident with my Enhanced account, but there are several things that I would love, if they were introduced:
a) calendar with reminders;
b) more developed search, for example possibility to search in several folders, not only in one;
c) UNICODE character sets instead of ISO, as it is more common for Eastern European countries.

Best wishes for developers of this superb service!
Paulius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2007, 04:51 AM   #302
lgnki

The best part about fast mail is the 14.95 member level. Some people just don't need thousands of megabytes of storage, so they offer an ad-free, one-time fee service level that has been working for me since 2002.
lgnki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Mar 2007, 09:04 AM   #303
elie
= Permanently banned =

Talking

really great ideas
elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2007, 06:09 AM   #304
disneylogic
Essential Contributor

Cool FastMail, the email FAMILY

first, i generally log in twice per day, leaving FM up in a browser, once in the morning, and once during my religious reboot of WinXP later, as a safeguard against sluggishness. FM is just always there, my connection to the Great World Beyond. it's as essential as my cell phone, my telephone, my workout. frankly, i could not do anything important without FM. it's essential. it's just always there. it's "where I keep my stuff" (to quote the main character from the defunct Comedy Central cartoon "The Tick"). really important documents are not only kept on my home LAN's network disk, but at FM. it's where i keep my correspondence with my kids. it's where i keep precious pictures.

two, i absolutely love the "Soothing Blues" theme, especially on my new flatpanel with upgraded video card. i'm one of those people who is fussy about the appearance of the text they look at all day, and the FM presentation in "Blues" is really excellent.

third, it is great to know people at FM like RobM are in action, willing to pursue even a cosmetic complaint or a minor inconvenience. it should tell the FM public to what degrees they are willing to go to for more serious issues.

and, being a familiar daily place, FM is community, and almost family.

FastMail, the email FAMILY.

-- jt, Endicott, NY, USA, FM customer through at least 2011.
disneylogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2007, 06:50 PM   #305
NJSS
Master of the @

Thank-you FM

Looking at my records I see that I have referred 9 users to Fastmail, and all have been delighted.

I have been a user for almost 5 years, and have recently paid up for another three years through to 2010.

This probably says it all, but I should add that I appreciate the helpful and prompt support from Rob, Bron et. al. -I would love to see more of Jeremy but I fully understand his reasons for not being as prominent as he was in the early days.

Thank-you FM - keep up the good work.

Oh! Can we have a calender capable of two way synchronisation with Outlook, Outlook Express, Lotus Notes, Palm Desktop, and Groupwise applications, as well as Pocket PC, Windows Mobile, Palm, and BlackBerry - I know it's not asking a lot
NJSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Aug 2007, 05:42 PM   #306
NMC

Died and gone to heaven?

Never liked webmail - too much fuss and data loading for what should be quicksticks text communicating without fat. The better webmail services were/are just too pricey and full of features that a plain user like me can't justify paying for.
Loved Eudora for years until the suits cast it adrift - can't remember exactly when the rot started, but my OS X version stayed at 4.x and the XP one at 5.x.

Started supporting Thunderbird after reading the promises from Mozilla corp about supporting it (and the orphaned Eudora); gee, I was even mug enough to get on the forums and feedback bugs and feature ideas. Ha! Fancy being dull enough to persist with all the funny bugs and bloat and the lack of just about any development for the last year?

So after the casting adrift of TBird/Eudora/Penelope, I thought that there was just no way but to accept my isp's crippled webmail interface when my aging Eudora versions become incompatible with their OSes.
The isp is 1nternode, and their webmail is fairly lean and quick, but for heaven's sake, I've recently found that their "silent" rejection of positive virus-scanned messages (in and out) can't be toggled to let a user know a minimum detailed fate of such messages! The website claims otherwise but I've tested it with the EICAR test file and the server just eats positive messages with no burps. The isp is silent on my requests for fixing the behaviour.
How is a person to trust that the anticipated job acceptance advice hasn't been swallowed whole in some kind of false positive tag?
That was the double whammy that showed me that I needed an isp-independent email account.

So there I was, depressed, mourning the end of the internet-as-I-knew-it, biting my tongue at all the wading through webmail inline tags that I had to do with the acceptance of forced top-posting in these web 2 days, and not even able to look forward to retreating to a fantasy world of just-the-text-ma'am inside my own email client.
I got a gmail addy and wept. JS and cookies for plain text communication that takes some weird kinds of page changes to show me some of the silliest contextual ads ever. Creeps. Not to mention the privacy invasion considerations of all that trawling of content of messages.
And then I saw the fastmail recommendation out of the corner of my eye in a Penelope/Eudora forum post.

Having given you lot a try-out for a week, I'm just about to buy a plain account. It's simply heavenly to be back with plain emailing again.
Please tell me that you intend to maintain the non-silent AV detection - your FAQ on the topic indicates your understanding of the need for flagging it?
NMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Sep 2007, 09:33 AM   #307
Merovingian
Master of the @

I found Fastmail a little over a year ago, with a sparsely used Guest account. Just recently upgraded to full, then enhanced account and have learned TONS in the short time I've been here! I've searched and read topics of interest to me, then asked what seems like hundreds of questions. I've been amazed and humbled at the quick and helpful responses of so many willing to help. Zhak with my stylesheets, Sherry with my million questions about subdomains , and Fabulous Rob has bailed me out several times with my boneheaded accidental clicks! You are all fabulous and I consider myself fortunate to have found you. Thanks for the help, and I'm sure the help yet to come!!!

Last edited by Merovingian : 13 Sep 2007 at 07:17 PM.
Merovingian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Oct 2007, 05:02 PM   #308
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Fastmail is the real deal. What weaknesses there were have largely been eliminated over the last year, and there are satisfactory workarounds for issues that remain.

I am a demanding user, and I act as a consultant to some users who are just as demanding. No one who I have put on Fastmail has been disappointed. Fastmail lacks flash in certain areas, but for a robust, flexible email solution, you cannot go wrong.

Particular stress:
  • Fastmail is serious about addressing spam, both providing good tools to eliminate incoming spam and effective procedures to prevent spamming from Fastmail accounts;
  • after a few years of being mediocre in terms of robustness, Fastmail now has a replicated setup that has proven successful in preventing outages of any length; Fastmail is now appropriate for those who rely on their email;
  • Fastmail has support for multiple personalities that works completely.

Fastmail is best suited to power users, or regular users with a geek to help set things up to best advantage.

You should plan to use a Full account ($19.95 a year) or higher. The free accounts are much less capable.

It is worth mentioning that this forum is one of the best I have seen. Both knowledgeable users and key Fastmail representatives post here regularly. The contributions of Fastmail here are extremely useful: informative and lacking the political "cover your arse" nature of the vendor's contributions in so many forums. If you have a valid issue, and post about it in the Fastmail forums, the chances are high of a satisfactory resolution.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2007, 04:09 AM   #309
Tom Gallagher

Have used a Fastmail full account for a couple of years and have never been disappointed.
Tom Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jan 2008, 08:50 PM   #310
rahulbatra

Awesome service

Well I was a guest member initially, then moved to Member. I was so impressed by FM's service and clean polished features that I upgraded my account to Enhanced. And I've not been disappointed.

One of the best reasons I moved to FM from Yahoo! and Gmail was the awesome Web Interface. I like IMAP a lot, but I access my email from a lot of places and the web interface is just so clean and powerful. Another reason (and this was THE reason I chose the Enhanced service) was File Storage. It made my life so much easier now that I could access my files from anywhere.

Another big reason for that I chose to pay for the service (I don't usually do that) was the confidence I got from seeing the developers interacting with the users. Support and all is fine, but the little things they post really matter. It makes FM more like a community than a faceless corp. I know there are real people looking to provide me with excellent mail services as long as I can pay them and this sounds a better-than-fair deal to me. And the list of features keeps growing. Kudos Fastmail Team, keep up the good work.
rahulbatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2008, 02:38 PM   #311
noclue
Cornerstone of the Community

Testimonials

Fast Mail is the best email provider I have ever experienced. I am very non-techie. I am also up there in age, so learning something new is at best a challenge. However, the people here on this site are not only very helpful, but very friendly and quick to respond to a question. If you've hit the wall with your email service, you should really try Fast Mail. It's a whole different world.

I am so impressed with this system that I happily wave good-bye to Yahoo and welcome a no-nonsense, cleanly-formatted, and user-friendly program. I can't recommend it enough, and I am hard to please!
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2008, 01:21 PM   #312
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Thumbs up Six years on!

Yesterday (2008-02-25) was the sixth anniversary of my FM Guest account -- I think this is the longest I've ever had an email account! And seldom any problems with it...

Here's to many more years!
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2008, 10:57 PM   #313
carriehartford

Hello! I am very new to Fastmail and to these forums. I only got my first guest account at Fastmail a month ago . . . and now I have 2 Enhanced Fastmail accounts, one personal and one business. I think that says how impressed I am with Fastmail so far!

I have been looking for a good IMAP solution for email for both incoming and outgoing email for a long time, something that I can use with Apple Mail when I am at my computers at home, but via a web interface when I am out and about. Also an IMAP account that works well with my iPhone.

I seem to have found all these things in Fastmail. I love the way it is so customizable, even down to the autoresponder being able to be set for certain email 'personalities' and not others. Excellent!

Have been using Googlemail and .Mac up until now for IMAP, but I became very confused by Googlemail's 'conversations' style and they just were not suitable for me. .Mac is great, but you can't use it to send emails from your own domain names, especially if you have quite a number of them like I do.

In summary, really pleased with Fastmail so far. Fingers crossed all stays well!
carriehartford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2008, 01:41 AM   #314
NeilP

Smile Five years in and still going

Hey,
I just wanted to thank you for 4+ solid years of great service. I think I started with you back in 2003 or 4 and even though I have a hotmail, yahoo, Gmail and about 5 other work/school accounts...Fastmail is still my primary system that all those other ones get fwded to.
I have had a few little glitches over the years but your service has always be prompt and helpful...thanks!
Neil aka npegram @ sent
NeilP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2008, 02:58 AM   #315
jmpnop

I've been connected for 13 years and that period of time fastmail is definately the top email service provider I've come across. I especially commend the fastmail team for the very, very cool webmail interface. Everything clicks right into place, the interface is very clean, professional no-nonsense yet fully functional and I really hope they won't be getting any ideas to 'fancify' or noobify the UI.

One satisfied customer.
jmpnop is offline   Reply With Quote