EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 16 Sep 2002, 05:30 PM   #1
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
New server updates

The following updates have now been uploaded to all servers
  • New quota bars showing how much mailbox space and bandwidth you have used are displayed just under the folder tree
  • The message search screen has been cleaned up to make it clearer
  • Double clicking in the listbox on left side of the screen on the Addresses, Pop Links, Signatures, etc screens now selects the double clicked item (needs JS, IE 5+, NS 6+, O 5+)
  • Clicking on the [Empty] trash link now gives a warning dialog (need JS)
  • Messages are now sent as 7-bit or quoted-printable. This fixes problems with old MS Exchange servers
  • When reading a message, the 'Message: X of Y' text is bold if the message is unread
  • For complex HTML messages displayed in inline frames, the frame is automatically resized to the height of the message when loading is complete (needs JS, IE 5+, NS 6+, thanks Sanjay)
  • The unread message count is updated correctly if you use the 'Mark read/unread' action
  • The length of the To/Cc/Bcc fields has been increased to 8192 chars
  • Disabled Pop Links now have (Disabled) added to them in the action menu if they are disabled
  • A better message is displayed if you don't enter a To address on the compose screen
  • On the pick addresses screen, hitting 'Enter' in the search box performs the search (needs JS, IE 5+, NS 6+, O 5+)
  • Information links on the bandwidth screen are now always shown correctly
  • Fixed a problem with 'Save ... addresses' when there were more than 1 page of addresses found
  • Attachments on messages saved as a draft are now correctly restored when editing the draft
  • Attachments added on the compose screen are now limited to a total of 7M to avoid a sending failure
  • Users over 150% of their monthly bandwidth can now login correctly again, but must purchase additional bandwidth to view messages

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16 Sep 2002, 05:41 PM   #2
ady
Essential Contributor

I got a gateway error that made me , but when I refreshed my browser I saw the quota bar that made me .

Ady
ady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2002, 05:45 PM   #3
eggman
Essential Contributor

Me too. But all is fine now..

Thanks Rob...
eggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2002, 05:53 PM   #4
FromLine
The "e" in e-mail

I like the new features, especially the resource usage, however, I find the following extremely annoying:
Quote:
  • Clicking on the [Empty] trash link now gives a warning dialog
I was all in favor and very pleased to finally see empty trash folder with a single click. I empty trash frequently.

The pop-up warning dialog box with sound adds delay to what was previously a very quick process.

Please allow this as an option, or a way to disable that pop-up through the fastmail options menu.

This seems like a step backwards to the empty trash folder with single click objective.

Everyone uses email differently, but I find the sound, pop-up, warning, etc. something I can do without. When we delete something we no longer want, we put it in trash. I've never accidentally clicked on that tiny Empty link and thought to myself, "Oh no! I've lost my trash"

Now, it causes delay of what used to be quick and simple procedure. I don't think the warning is necessary, and if it is to some, please allow this as an optional feature.

Last edited by FromLine : 16 Sep 2002 at 06:10 PM.
FromLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2002, 05:55 PM   #5
esTester
Cornerstone of the Community

I agree with fb19. Whenever I put something in the trash, I wouldn't care if it was gone forever. I empty trash a lot too and I love being able just to hit empty. There should be some kind of option if possible to opt out of the confirmation dialouge. At least, it's something to consider.
esTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2002, 06:11 PM   #6
schrijver

Rob,

Are there any CSS classes available for the resource usage bars?

I like to change them to match my new Stylesheet Sliptream Professional

BTW: I really like the new Resource usage bars!
schrijver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2002, 06:13 PM   #7
thestrider

Thanks Guys

The improvements once again make FM a better experience...

a. i also agree with FB19 and want an option to turn off that feature
b. Thanks for the quota bars. I was really ****** off having to go to options> quota usage to check things

Thanks once again... keep up the good work
thestrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2002, 07:13 PM   #8
Roger_Cavanagh

Like the quota bars! Hate the emptying trash warning! Please, get rid of it or turn it into an option.

Regards,
Roger_Cavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2002, 08:08 PM   #9
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Re: Extra dialog on empty trash. I'm surprised how keen people are to remove this. You are right, everyone uses email differently, but when I mentioned these changes recently on the beta-server, responses were positive.

http://www.emaildiscussions.com/...&threadid=7492

*sigh* And I was beginning to believe that even more options were bad:

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/uibook...000000059.html

Re: Quota bar CSS classes. I added class="QuotaUsedTd" and class="QuotaFreeTd" to the 2 halves of the quota bar. I should probably add a 'QuotaBgTd' as well, but haven't yet.

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2002, 08:20 PM   #10
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

I like the new trash warning.

The action menu pulls down over the folder list.

Once I selected a pop-link and accidently clicked through it to the "[empty]" link.
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2002, 08:35 PM   #11
psalzer

Poor rob..make everyone happy no matter what you do. I haven't made a mistake with the empty trash thing, but I think the warning is fine and probably a good idea. And, I recall that a lot of people asked for it. All in all, a great bunch of enhancements and thanks for the continuing improvements to something that was already very, very good.
psalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2002, 11:01 PM   #12
Sly

Put me down for not liking the empty trash warning dialog. It would be better (imo) if it was optional.

Nevertheless, great work on all the other changes!
Sly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2002, 11:27 PM   #13
Gankaku

Re: Quota bar CSS classes. I added class="QuotaUsedTd" and class="QuotaFreeTd" to the 2 halves of the quota bar. I should probably add a 'QuotaBgTd' as well, but haven't yet.

Thanks Rob - I was going to ask about this.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2002, 12:03 AM   #14
thoran

Optional Options (Subject Optional!?)

Rob,

I do like Joel's writing and have read numerous of his articles previously, though not that one. I have just rectified this lack now.

May I suggest something from some old Mac applications from the mid-eighties which had optionally simple or complex menus? (Was one of them WriteNow? Great word processor anyway.)

Have an option which allows the selection of a more complicated Options area in whole, by section, or both. By default Options would be in simple mode. It would be like the filter editor, except more broadly applied.

It might even allow for three or more levels?:

popup list "Number of Options Available"
option0 "No Options"
option1 "Common Options"
option2 "Most Options"
option3 "Every Option"

It could vary automatically depending on other options set too!?

thoran

P.S. On the empty trash issue, for which I have not read the arguments, nor for which I have thought too much about in the present context, I suggest that it should be faster and not have a dialogue, and that if one has already moved items to the trash that by the time one chooses to do the final removal, that any item of import would not have been placed there in the first place, or if had been, would have long been retrieved, such that a dialogue becomes overly cautious, inconvenient and ultimately annoying.
thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2002, 12:48 AM   #15
MikeL
Essential Contributor

With respect to the "empty trash" warning, I actually appreciate it. I had one occasion on which I accidentally deleted something, and wanted to go back into the Trash folder to retrieve it. I moved a bit too quickly and sloppily, and instead of clicking on the "Trash" link, I clicked on the "Empty" link. It wasn't important enough for me to want to ask the admins to retrieve it for me, but it was a little annoying. Granted, this happened soon after the "Empty" link was put next to "Trash", and I'm a little more careful now, but given their proximity, I do think that it's rather easy to accidentally empty the trash when what you really wanted to do was go back and fetch something you didn't mean to delete.

Making it configurable would be fine by me. As would making an "Empty Trash" button or link some distance away from the Trash folder link.

-Mike
MikeL is offline   Reply With Quote