EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 15 Mar 2003, 02:05 PM   #31
lux
The "e" in e-mail

I also think it should be off by default. I think it is off by default for almost all providers. I didn't become aware that there was a signature added until I got reply the first time...
lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2003, 02:11 PM   #32
esTester
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffK
Welcome back esTester. It's great to hear from you again.

Best wishes,

Jeff
Hi,

It is nice to see you and other old friends back here again. I am not back for good because of school and other activities that take up pretty much all of my time, but I felt that I should express my view on this issue. Like I said, nice to see you all again and I hope to be back on a more regular basis over the summer.

By the way, I want to wish Robert a Happy Birthday.

I hope everyone is doing well and I will talk to you again sometime in the hopefully near future.

Alex (esTester)
esTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Sep 2003, 05:00 AM   #33
FromLine
The "e" in e-mail

The Default Signature is a terrible policy and I'm finding more and more people to be quite displeased to find out this is being appended to their outgoing emails without their prior knowledge. It's not shown in the body of the message when they're composing, and if they don't save/read their sent messages, it goes un-noticed by fm users, but at the same time, prominantly visable to their recipients.

Another problem is that a friend of mine changed her home domain from xsmail.com to fmgirl.com . Her @xsmail.com still appears in her signature as she's completely oblivious to this matter and has no idea that her_name@xsmail.com is displayed in the signature line.

Also, this matter is never clearly disclosed upon sign-up.

I'm probably going to have to write up an informative advisory about this on a separate page alerting people of this policy. Even this thread alone has demonstrated that users are unaware and uninformed that this is happening to them without their knowledge.

To remove the defualt signature:

go to

OPTIONS

SIGNATURE

At "DEFAULT SIGNATURE" , select "No Signature"

Then click on "DONE" on the right side of the screen.

Last edited by FromLine : 2 Sep 2003 at 05:03 AM.
FromLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Sep 2003, 05:55 AM   #34
Sherry

I know very few people actually read the TOS/Privacy statement but, for those who did, it says FM will not divulge personal information and of coarse, the First and Last names are personal info. I know that legally the argument is they revealed it themselves by sending the message with the Default Signature and "ignorance is no excuse". I would think FM would want to turn this OFF to avoid the "appearance" of breaking their own TOS/Privacy policy.

PS: Not to get to OT here but, I would say the same argument goes for the "Auto" replies that reveal a users "account email address" without the users knowledge.

Sherry

Last edited by Sherry : 2 Sep 2003 at 05:59 AM.
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Sep 2003, 06:29 AM   #35
Gankaku

Quote:
Originally posted by FromLine
Another problem is that a friend of mine changed her home domain from xsmail.com to fmgirl.com . Her @xsmail.com still appears in her signature as she's completely oblivious to this matter and has no idea that her_name@xsmail.com is displayed in the signature line[/color] [/b]
Not that this issue isn't big - I think it should be set up as default=no sig for paying members) but the BIGGER problem I see here is when the domains separate in two weeks or so. Anyone that changes or settles on a new domain, but now their signature will say user@old_domain, even though their address is really something else. This could confuse the recipient, who might actually email the person at old_domain and the user will never actually receive the mail. J/R needs to be notified of this if they don't recognize this problem already.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Sep 2003, 07:07 AM   #36
Sherry

Quote:
Originally posted by Gankaku
I think it should be set up as default=no sig for paying members
I would think this should be the default for "all" members, even Guest. They would have the same rights to privacy as paying members. Guest accounts have the use of sending messages using the from #other-address. I just tested this with my free account and it revealed the real address right in the message!
As a matter of fact, we all need to wonder if this has been happening all along, when we sent messages, using the # to conceal our real address, and didn't!

Sherry
Old 3 Sep 2003, 08:52 PM   #37
splustest

Quote:
Originally posted by Sherry
I would think this should be the default for "all" members, even Guest. They would have the same rights to privacy as paying members. Guest accounts have the use of sending messages using the from #other-address. I just tested this with my free account and it revealed the real address right in the message!
As a matter of fact, we all need to wonder if this has been happening all along, when we sent messages, using the # to conceal our real address, and didn't!
Yes, it has been happening all along. It was one of the first things I noticed. Our default signature is still on, but I (almost) always remember to set None for Signature and Personality when in Compose if I don't want them set.

I agree the default should be off to start with.
splustest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Sep 2003, 06:49 AM   #38
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

The signature is taken from the default personality. So how does the default signature affects a user?

I agree that the default signature a user gets if the user never used the "signatures" screen to create/edit a signature should be empty (i.e., no signature, except for the tagline in guest accounts). Perhaps a user that opens a new account at fastmail should go through a screen that asks for at least one signature (or allows the user to select "no signature").

My default signature is "no signature".
My default personality is called "disposable". It's associated return address is a disposable forwarding address from sneakemail.com. Its associated signature is also called "disposable" and here it is:
Quote:
--------------------------
PLEASE NOTE: The email address this email was sent from is a temporary one that I might change very often. You can reply to this email, but please DO NOT SAVE this address to your address book.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Sep 2003, 10:05 AM   #39
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

OK, we'll change the default sig for new personalities (including new user's only personality) to 'none'.
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Sep 2003, 10:08 AM   #40
Sherry

Thanks

Sherry