EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > About this site...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

About this site... Do you have any thoughts, suggestions or comments about this site? Post them here...

Old 14 Nov 2002, 03:08 PM   #1
FromLine
The "e" in e-mail

New Forum Suggestion

Edwin,

Would you consider creating a Forum Topic on the Subject of Anti-Spam and Spam Prevention?

This is an email forum, and spam is a serious problem facing the entire email industry and the topic comes up quite a bit here on EMD.

I think it might be useful to have topic on this matter.

Thoughts?
FromLine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14 Nov 2002, 03:35 PM   #2
esTester
Cornerstone of the Community

I agree with fb19, the issue comes up so much that it would only be logical to have its own forum. It is a major issue that deserves its own area.
esTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2002, 03:49 PM   #3
FromLine
The "e" in e-mail

I've been searching on Google, but haven't found anything. I'm wondering if there's a decent forum out there that uses vBulletin or some other decent forum software that's dedicated to Anti-Spam and Spam Prevention? And no, I'm not talking about a forum driven to talk about keeping anti-spam software programmers in business (these guys don't want spam to go away because spam is the bread-and-butter to an anti-spammer's business).

spamforum.com is taken, but does not appear to be being used.

Anyone know of a decent anti-spam forum, dedidicated to the objective of removing spam from the internet completely?

Last edited by FromLine : 14 Nov 2002 at 06:14 PM.
FromLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2002, 05:33 PM   #4
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Spamcop.net has a number of lists, and there's the news.admin.net-abuse.email newsgroup of course.

The problem is that most forums that cover this topic get taken over rather over-zealous types. The SpamAssassin mailing list is the only one I know of that doesn't suffer from this problem.

If we had a spam discussion forum here, it would be *very* tricky to keep it within Edwin's guidelines. Having said that, it may well be worth the effort--it's certainly a hot topic!
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2002, 10:59 PM   #5
Edwin
 Administrator 

There is absolutely zero chance of having a dedicated spam-related Forum on EmailDiscussions.com - the subject is far too loaded... As an indication, I would say that the moderators and/or I have had to intervene at least once in over half of all spam-related threads on these Forums, which represents an astonishingly high thread/problem ratio, and one which is somewhat distressing.

These Forums are NOT (never have been, never will be) an appropriate place from which to plan, organize and launch vendettas, either against spammers or, indeed, against "over-zealous" anti-spam advocates.

Please take heed of my comment in this now closed thread:-
http://www.emaildiscussions.com/...?threadid=8927

My decision on this subject is final. Thank you for your understanding.
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2002, 02:36 AM   #6
Dave P in StLouis
Cornerstone of the Community

Smile In the meantime

Dear fb19,

I hope you find the forum you're looking for but in the meantime yu might want to check out this thread. If you do, though, please keep Edwin's wishes in mind. We've been pretty lucky in not needing moderator intervention so far and I don't want to risk anyone doing anything to change that. I want the thread to continue as long as it serves a useful purpose and not be closed because we couldn't all exercise self-control and good judgement.

Best wishes,
David P.
Dave P in StLouis is offline   Reply With Quote