EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 18 Oct 2012, 02:05 PM   #1
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

NEWS: Changes to Fastmail service levels (and 60-day trials!)

Read the official blog update here.

FM is becoming a "premium brand" and will no longer be offering free Guest accounts. (New, free users will instead need to open an account at @myopera.com.)

They are also offering a new service level called Premier -- 60 GB mail storage, 30 GB file storage and 400 SMS for $119.95/year.

IMHO, that seems like a big jump in price from Enhanced with not a whole lot of added benefit. (I also don't use file storage or SMS, so this is just my preference.)

They're also offering free 60-day trials on all account levels.
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18 Oct 2012, 03:21 PM   #2
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Well, I hope that the level of support that goes with the new premium brand account is better than the priority support with the Enhanced accounts. This price range is getting very close to LuxSci which has awesome support, which I never experienced as a Fastmail customer with Enhanced accounts.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2012, 03:34 PM   #3
petergh
Master of the @

I concur with William9. My last interaction with FM support as an Enhanced account holder was less than satisfying, and of all the paid service providers I've trialled, FM took the longest to respond: 24 hours on average (over the course of almost a week). Let's hope Premier accounts come with Premier support, at least, because like sflorack, there's nothing offered in Premier accounts that would entice me to shell out $120/yr. You can get a LuxSci account for $108/year, albeit with only half the storage space. I wonder how many people actually need 60 GB storage space for email, but I guess some do, since FM has decided to offer this new account level.
petergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2012, 04:27 PM   #4
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflorack View Post
Read the official blog update here.

FM is becoming a "premium brand" and will no longer be offering free Guest accounts. (New, free users will instead need to open an account at @myopera.com.)
Good move it will get rid of the spammers.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2012, 06:47 PM   #5
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Although only of interest to a few clients, I would like to know what "400 SMS" included means exactly. Is this 400 free SMS a month, a year, sign up bonus or what? Anyone know?
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2012, 07:00 PM   #6
hobbes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
Good move it will get rid of the spammers.
Perhaps. If FM uses different outbound IP's to MyOpera then this is indeed good news. If they share the same outbound IP's then MyOpera spammers will still potentially impact FM users wrt IP blacklists.
hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2012, 07:12 PM   #7
hobbes

Quote:
The features of Enhanced have not changed in any way.
The only way FM can continue to justify $40 a year for the Enhanced account is by improving the woeful support that currently exists.

edit: to put a positive spin on it, FM is one of the more reliable services I've experienced, so the need for support is not great. But...

Last edited by hobbes : 18 Oct 2012 at 07:20 PM.
hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2012, 08:29 PM   #8
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes View Post
The only way FM can continue to justify $40 a year for the Enhanced account is by improving the woeful support that currently exists
I'm pretty content with a 24 hour response (reported by petergh), with my (personal) account. However, I can imagine how others may want something quicker for business communications.

I can easily justify the $40 (which was really $25/year for my multi-year account) because of the privacy, feature set, and reliability. I have a lot harder time justifying $120/yr for essentially additional storage, especially when FM even provides the tools to download archived emails.
Old 19 Oct 2012, 04:57 AM   #9
horatio8

I've been very happy with the customer support response time, which has been only a few hours. I'm not sure if my experience is typical, or not, or whether the Australia time zone difference has worked in my favor. As far as the premier account, I'm only using 6gb now, and I could pay $4.95 per gb for every gb > than my current limit of 10gb until I'm using 26gb, when it would then pay to get the premier account (I don't use SMS, so that has no value to me). I would guess that premier accounts will only be attractive to corporate users. My hope is that the changes improve Fastmail's profitability, which ensures this great service stays as healthy as possible.
horatio8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2012, 09:21 AM   #10
squiggle

I'm also a bit disappointed to see that there is no medium between the $40/yr enhanced and the $120/yr premium. I may be interested in additional mail space, but certainly not SMS or storage.
squiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2012, 08:09 PM   #11
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggle View Post
I'm also a bit disappointed to see that there is no medium between the $40/yr enhanced and the $120/yr premium. I may be interested in additional mail space, but certainly not SMS or storage.
You can add mail storage space (and also SMS and file storage) as an add-on, so you're free to create your own service level in a sense.
Old 19 Oct 2012, 08:22 PM   #12
andrearp

Quote:
What's more, it seems Business pricing has been COMPLETELY forgotten.

I checked right now, I just have 2 options for user.

An expensive 15Gb account for 60$, or a 150 Gb account for 300$, choose one.

On top of that, of course, is the "global" business account renewal fee.

I'd like to see an intermediate service level, or at least a discount on the 150Gb account.
andrearp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2012, 08:33 PM   #13
squiggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflorack View Post
You can add mail storage space (and also SMS and file storage) as an add-on, so you're free to create your own service level in a sense.
Sure, but the pricing is a bit ridiculous for a la carte disk space at $5/yr for 1GB.

It just seems odd that the user levels are $5/yr for ad-free, $20/yr for full, $40/yr for enhanced, and then the huge jump to $120/yr for premier. Where's the middle ground for 30 GB of space for $60/yr or something?
squiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Oct 2012, 04:00 AM   #14
andrearp

Quote:
Sure, but the pricing is a bit ridiculous for a la carte disk space at $5/yr for 1GB.

It just seems odd that the user levels are $5/yr for ad-free, $20/yr for full, $40/yr for enhanced, and then the huge jump to $120/yr for premier. Where's the middle ground for 30 GB of space for $60/yr or something?
and 30Gb for Business users...
andrearp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Oct 2012, 06:07 AM   #15
InfamousGrouse

This new pricing structure does seem odd. I would imagine -- although I could be wrong -- that most potential SMS users will fall into one of two broad categories:
  1. Those who would use it very infrequently for rare or emergency messaging, for whom an ad-hoc SMS bundle would probably be cheaper, and
  2. Those who would like to have notifications for almost everything, but who would therefore burn through 400 messages in next to no time.
Some sort of pricing bundle offering unlimited SMS would have been ideal, but I suppose with the often insane cost of international text messaging that wasn't really feasible.
InfamousGrouse is offline   Reply With Quote