EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 17 Jan 2010, 09:00 AM   #1
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Calendar and Contact Sync....

I know I have asked this several times before, but I really think Fastmail should consider implementing a method for calendar and contact sync.

SyncML (Funambol) is now a fairly well developed solution.

My business partners and I decided to move away from Google Apps and go to a paid solution. That Fastmail didn't offer any calendar or shared contacts made them immediately say no to fastmail....

/cl
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17 Jan 2010, 01:32 PM   #2
Fabaus

+1 for at least contact sync!

Fabaus
Fabaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2010, 08:41 PM   #3
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

+1
In case FM is going to focus more and more on the business market (and it looks they do) then this will be hardly needed.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2010, 05:40 AM   #4
JamesHenderson
Cornerstone of the Community

+1 for contacts and calendar.

I am currently using MemoToo (a Funambol system) for my contacts and would love to be able sync it with Fastmail.

J.
JamesHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2010, 09:41 AM   #5
Fabaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHenderson View Post
... I am currently using MemoToo (a Funambol system) for my contacts and would love to be able sync it with Fastmail.
I am also using Memotoo. Fastmail contacts are the only one that remain "outside" of my sync tree. Calendar / Tasks / Notes and Contacts are fine between home / work / Netbook / Mobile.... Poor little Fastmail contacts on the web interface are left behind.

Fabaus
Old 18 Jan 2010, 09:46 AM   #6
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Funambol would instantly make the Fastmail system interoperable with a huge variety of other systems and software....
Old 18 Jan 2010, 10:18 AM   #7
Fabaus

True.

...and even if Fastmail didn't provide a web-based method to modify calendar / to-do / notes... the possibility of syncing from your email/PIM client (i.e: Outlook / Thuderbird+Sunbird) to your file-space would be a huge improvement.

Fabaus
Old 18 Jan 2010, 10:45 AM   #8
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabaus View Post
True.

...and even if Fastmail didn't provide a web-based method to modify calendar / to-do / notes... the possibility of syncing from your email/PIM client (i.e: Outlook / Thuderbird+Sunbird) to your file-space would be a huge improvement.

Fabaus
Syncing in what way, do you mean in a way that is different than the functionality that IMAP provides currently?
Old 18 Jan 2010, 01:25 PM   #9
Fabaus

IMAP is fine... Email can be "synced" across all clients / web etc etc.... Hey it's IMAP.

What is missing, judging from the number of similar threads, is a "funambol-like" system to sync Contacts (and I assume also calendar, notes, to-do). To do this well, I assume users would demand Fastmail to offer a web-interface to access all this data. The web-interface for Contacts exists (namely the Address book on the web-interface), but no web interface yet exists for other components such as calendar.

It would still be a HUGE step forward to offer a "funambol-like" server even in the absence of a web interface to access synced data. This would allow all those users that use email/PIM clients (such as Outlook and Thunderbird+Sunbird) to use Fastmail for:
  • Client / Device access: Sync of-->IMAP + Contacts + Calendar + Notes + To-do
  • Web-interface access: Mail + Contacts
Although not fully functional (i.e: no ability to edit calendar, to-dos on the web), it would allow people that use separate funambol services to
quit them and centralize to Fastmail.

I just fear that rolling out a calendar / to-do etc web-interface will take Fastmail forever and that would thus inhibit them from rolling out just a Funambol service.

Just my 2c

Fabaus
Old 18 Jan 2010, 02:04 PM   #10
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Hey, funambol I know, I started the topic...

Just didn't quite understand your previous post. I think I now understand, you were inferring to the ability to sync that data, without actually providing web access to it. To me, personally, that would be useless. I need a way to keep work contacts and calendar in sync - web (on the road) and desktop (at work or office)...
Old 18 Jan 2010, 03:46 PM   #11
Fabaus

I'm not a huge user of the web interface and when I'm on the road I use my own Netbook.... so i suppose i really prefer to centralize Email, Contacts and Calendar in a single trusted sync-able service.

Fabaus
Old 20 Jan 2010, 06:10 AM   #12
rabarberski
Master of the @

+100 here
Really
rabarberski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jan 2010, 10:38 PM   #13
Mystakill
Cornerstone of the Community

A number of us have been requesting Funambol (nee SyncML) for years, without success. I recall providing a link to some perl code to accomplish this as well, since that's FM's development language of choice.
Mystakill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2010, 11:30 AM   #14
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystakill View Post
A number of us have been requesting Funambol (nee SyncML) for years, without success. I recall providing a link to some perl code to accomplish this as well, since that's FM's development language of choice.

Which is why we need to keep requesting it....
Old 30 Jan 2010, 11:05 PM   #15
Lnguyen
Essential Contributor

Very very much want to see this. I've been using fastmail as a backup account now for a while, but I've been wanting to use it more and more for a side business. Google Apps is nice, but I would like to make use and give fastmail some love.

But with more and more focus on smartphones for myself, I need a way to sync it all to the phone. I have a Pre, and multiple exchange and gmail accounts is AWESOME in how it works. So much I wish I had a desktop equivalent to get it all together, yet separate (outlook is the closest thing because of my exchange sync needs, but still meh).

Unfortunately, at this rate, I'm thinking I will continue to use it as mostly a backup system.
Lnguyen is offline   Reply With Quote