EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 7 May 2002, 12:41 AM   #1
granovet

Question Quota measurement error?

I am trying to move some messages from my Inbox to a folder, and I get a message saying I cannot do this because I am over quota. Then when I look at resource usage, it says I am using 10.5 M and my quota is 16 M. So how am I over quota?

I also wonder about the measurement. It is showing 9.3 M in my Inbox, where I have about one-third the number of messages (mostly the same exact messages) that I had in my previous provider (usa.net) where they reported about 7 M. Also, it seems to have taken quite a jump in the last few days, without any obvious reason.

Any ideas about what may be happening? I am also well within my bandwidth quota.
granovet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 7 May 2002, 01:47 AM   #2
nic76
Essential Contributor

Re: Quota measurement error?

Quote:
Originally posted by granovet
I am trying to move some messages from my Inbox to a folder, and I get a message saying I cannot do this because I am over quota. Then when I look at resource usage, it says I am using 10.5 M and my quota is 16 M. So how am I over quota?
i agree that this is kinda annoying, i had this error trying to delete messages (=moving to thrash), you can avoid it by copying a few messages at a time, the problem is caused because the files are copied and then deleted:
inbox: 10.5Mb folder: 0Mb total: 10.5Mb
move 7Mb to folder
inbox: 10.5Mb folder: 7Mb total: 17.5Mb > 16Mb
delete: 3.5Mb folder: 7Mb (this point isn't reached because an error during the copy)

Quote:

I also wonder about the measurement. It is showing 9.3 M in my Inbox, where I have about one-third the number of messages (mostly the same exact messages) that I had in my previous provider (usa.net) where they reported about 7 M. Also, it seems to have taken quite a jump in the last few days, without any obvious reason.

Any ideas about what may be happening? I am also well within my bandwidth quota.
are you using an IMAP client? some people have reported problems with mails marked as deleted which aren't shown anymore but are not really deleted
nic76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2002, 01:51 AM   #3
granovet

Resource usage

Thank you for this information about how the copying is done -- this seems like something that could be addressed in future upgrades, since it really means that you don't have the resources that you supposedly have.

On the measurement of space used, this is just my fault. I found a huge attachment that had arrived recently -- a tif file, they are space hogs -- and I deleted that message. This should solve that problem. But, BTW, could I have just deleted the attachment without deleting the message itself? I didn't immediately see a way to do that.
granovet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2002, 01:53 AM   #4
mklose
Cornerstone of the Community

Re: Resource usage

Quote:
BTW, could I have just deleted the attachment without deleting the message itself? I didn't immediately see a way to do that.
It's coming in the new interface I read somewhere. The time till the new interface is here was recently reduced from 4 to 3 months.
mklose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2002, 01:54 AM   #5
nic76
Essential Contributor

Re: Resource usage

Quote:
On the measurement of space used, this is just my fault. I found a huge attachment that had arrived recently -- a tif file, they are space hogs -- and I deleted that message.
you should also take into consideration that as an attachment a file takes up 30% more space because of the way it has to be stored inside a mail

Quote:

This should solve that problem. But, BTW, could I have just deleted the attachment without deleting the message itself? I didn't immediately see a way to do that.
no yet, that's something i hope will be added in the near future (one of the dozens of things i'm anxiously waiting for... )
Old 7 May 2002, 02:03 AM   #6
Stinger

I've moved quite a lot of mail around today and my bandwidth usage does not seem to have changed.....maybe it's a little slow to update
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2002, 02:08 AM   #7
Kyle Babich
Cornerstone of the Community

I don't think it should. I mean, it's not going anywhere, it's still on the same server.

Quote:
Originally posted by Stinger
I've moved quite a lot of mail around today and my bandwidth usage does not seem to have changed.....maybe it's a little slow to update
Kyle Babich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2002, 02:27 AM   #8
Stinger

Of course......should have read this first!

http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/faqparts...html#ResFMAddr

Last edited by Stinger : 7 May 2002 at 02:48 AM.
Old 7 May 2002, 02:41 AM   #9
nic76
Essential Contributor

i'm not sure if that will not use up bandwith, resources are calculated from time to time (every hour if i'm not mistaken), so check your resource usage again some time later
Old 7 May 2002, 02:51 AM   #10
Stinger

Yes you are right....should have done my homework!!

Regards Neale
Old 7 May 2002, 07:11 AM   #11
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Re: Re: Quota measurement error?

Quote:
Originally posted by nic76
i agree that this is kinda annoying, i had this error trying to delete messages (=moving to thrash), you can avoid it by copying a few messages at a time, the problem is caused because the files are copied and then deleted
You can avoid this problem by using the "Delete immediately" option on the Do Action menu.
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote