EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 5 Oct 2007, 06:16 AM   #1
Shivo

Runbox - an 'also ran'

When you look at the breathtaking speed at which the Big three are developing and the kind of functions you get with a fastmail or a tuffmail, do you were ever get this feeling that runbox can be relegated to the list of 'also rans'

They belong to the mail.com and the netaddresses of past decades.

I would love to see runbox users actually respond to this .......

How much time before they close shop ?!!

Last edited by Shivo : 5 Oct 2007 at 06:21 AM.
Shivo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5 Oct 2007, 06:22 AM   #2
Merovingian
Master of the @

ouch......
Merovingian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Oct 2007, 05:50 PM   #3
marc_otten
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivo View Post
When you look at the breathtaking speed at which the Big three are developing and the kind of functions you get with a fastmail or a tuffmail, do you were ever get this feeling that runbox can be relegated to the list of 'also rans'

They belong to the mail.com and the netaddresses of past decades.

I would love to see runbox users actually respond to this .......

How much time before they close shop ?!!
Hm...Interesting point.

The reason why I choose Runbox in the first place is: at the time when I started my subscription, Runbox offered the features I needed! Nothing more, nothing less. This is still the case. I can imagine that - when compared to Fastmail for example - it nowadays looks as if Runbox is a little short on features. But that's what I like: a small, but sufficient feature set and no bloated webmail interface. Sure, there are some features I'd like Runbox to have (IMAP idle, address book synchronization) but I can wait for that and don't miss them currently.

I see a lot of people making remarks about Runbox's so-called lack of features. The solution to this is simple: pick another email provider that suits your needs.

Personally, I don't think that they will close shop in the near future.

--Marc
marc_otten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Oct 2007, 05:27 AM   #4
douggreene

Service is actually picking up a bit ...

Today I've actually been getting screen refills in less than 10 seconds, and that's something I thought was gone for good. However, I agree, it's taken so long for RunBox to FINALLY (and who knows how permanently) reach a basic level of service, I'm not sure I want to use them much longer.

Tuffmail has been getting some glowing reviews, and I'm thinking about switching to them. Sure wish there was a way to upload my archived email to Tuffmail. If I could do that, I'd switch in a heartbeat.

(Not quite as) Frustrated (as before)
-Doug-
douggreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Oct 2007, 07:00 AM   #5
Mechant Loup

Quote:
Originally Posted by douggreene View Post
Today I've actually been getting screen refills in less than 10 seconds, and that's something I thought was gone for good. However, I agree, it's taken so long for RunBox to FINALLY (and who knows how permanently) reach a basic level of service, I'm not sure I want to use them much longer.

Tuffmail has been getting some glowing reviews, and I'm thinking about switching to them. Sure wish there was a way to upload my archived email to Tuffmail. If I could do that, I'd switch in a heartbeat.

(Not quite as) Frustrated (as before)
-Doug-
Tuffmail is indeed great. But why would you not be able to upload archived mail to Tuffmail? I've moved a gigabyte's worth of old mail between Runbox and Tuffmail...

What exactly is the problem you're having with uploading messages?
Mechant Loup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Oct 2007, 01:42 PM   #6
filtered

Runbox has been behind the curve in many respects for many years.
- Poor IMAP performance. (The performance of recently implemented new servers is as yet ... not an undisputed improvement)
- Does not support IMAP IDLE.
- Promised support for nested folders for 5 years but not delivered.
- Few aliases provided.
- Numerous other issues as have been brought up on this forum over the years.
- Overpriced in a market where free providers are sometimes at or near it's equal.
- Extremely few, but quality staff. Hans (hanslysglimt) is frugal to say the least.

It is just one opinion but I don't think the people who frequent this forum realize the nature of Runbox. There seems to be an assumption on this forum that it is a Major email provider, this is simply not true. Runbox is a VERY small company, with VERY few employees, in the scheme of things... extremely small.

However, the above synopsis isn't as unequivocal as is it sounds.
- As with any service, if it meets your needs ...
- Filtering not provided by many free providers.
- Numerous ongoing years of service are no small indicator of reliability.
- Aesthetically pleasing interface.
- Acceptable but not exceptional Spam filtering.
- Acceptable email and storage space.
- Web space provided.
- Some representation of this forum.

Last edited by filtered : 6 Oct 2007 at 01:53 PM.
filtered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Oct 2007, 06:16 PM   #7
odedp
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by filtered View Post
- Acceptable email and storage space.
Acceptable???
Where (paid or free) can you get even half of the storage Runbox provide?
odedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Oct 2007, 12:10 AM   #8
Shivo

If all you are looking for is storage space, then you should be with box.net and not runbox.com

Yahoo has started offering unlimited storage (with limited size attachment)

If one needs a real work horse then runbox is not the choice,anymore.
Shivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Oct 2007, 01:34 AM   #9
alexu2007
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by odedp View Post
Acceptable???
Where (paid or free) can you get even half of the storage Runbox provide?
Regarding email storage space:

Google Apps Premier (paid) - 10 Gb disk space (will be 25 Gb soon)
Yahoo (free, paid) - unlimited disk space
Windows Live Hotmail (free) - 5 Gb
Windows Live Hotmail Plus (paid) - 10 Gb
Eumx.net (paid) - 10 Gb

Regarding file storage space:

Eumx.net (paid) - 10 Gb (it could also be used for email storage)
Any other webhosting company that gives you disk space for files and emails
alexu2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Oct 2007, 04:29 AM   #10
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
We have long consolidated our resources and believe the recent hardware upgrades to be the beginning of a new trend where Runbox improves and expands at an increasing speed.

Among premium email hosting providers, Runbox is actually still among the cheapest, while offering complete cPanel web hosting, for instance.

And, it is interesting to note that the storage space discussion is once again revived. When Runbox increased the email storage space from 1 to 10GB we were criticized because many thought it was too much, or simply irrelevant.

- Geir
Geir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Oct 2007, 06:33 AM   #11
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
I didn't see any new functions at Tuffmail for the last two years or so. OK, when you only need email, Tuffmail is a good choice.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Oct 2007, 07:58 AM   #12
Mechant Loup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
I didn't see any new functions at Tuffmail for the last two years or so. OK, when you only need email, Tuffmail is a good choice.
Yes, and that -- email -- they do better than any one else. They only promise what they can deliver.

What comes to functions, their features are pretty damn impressive to me.

But I don't see Tuffmail and Runbox competing for the same users. Runbox offers a lot of storage. That seems to be the main selling point. On the other hand, even 1GB costs a lot at Tuffmail, and no FTP or other storage is included.
Mechant Loup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Oct 2007, 12:02 PM   #13
suzi

Quote:
do you were ever get this feeling that runbox can be relegated to the list of 'also rans'
No, I don't.

Personally I have always been happy with the product I pay for, and the service I get. For the past four years I have been delighted with the new features they've added and I hope I will not need to go elsewhere for many more years to come. There have been issues, but I've been fortunate to not be affected by much of what others have brought light to on these forums time and again.

When Runbox no longer offer what I need I will stop paying and move elsewhere, and I would suggest anyone that has that opinion should do so, but that's not how I feel right now.
suzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Oct 2007, 09:53 AM   #14
douggreene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechant Loup View Post
Tuffmail is indeed great. But why would you not be able to upload archived mail to Tuffmail? I've moved a gigabyte's worth of old mail between Runbox and Tuffmail...

What exactly is the problem you're having with uploading messages?
I didn't realize you could upload emails via IMAP; I thought it was strictly server to local client.

How would I move emails from my Outlook (or Outlook Express) folders to Tuffmail?
douggreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Oct 2007, 06:17 PM   #15
pin
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by douggreene View Post
I didn't realize you could upload emails via IMAP; I thought it was strictly server to local client.

How would I move emails from my Outlook (or Outlook Express) folders to Tuffmail?
It's really easy. In Outlook Express, all you do is:

-) select the messages you want to copy (or do a CTRL+A to select all messages in a folder)
-) Go to the edit menu -> Copy to folder
-) Select the folder you want to copy to (or you can create a new folder)
-) In the copy window that pop's up - click OK

Then sit and watch as your messages are transferred.
pin is offline   Reply With Quote