EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 28 Nov 2008, 03:49 AM   #1
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Thumbs up New hosting provider

We will be moving our entire server park to a brand new, state of the art hosting facility provided by Linpro, the same company that manages our servers. We believe this move will improve both reliability and uptime, as both hosting services and server maintenance will be provided by the same organization.

The relocation will occur Thursday December 4 at approximately 9 AM CET (3 AM EST).

While we will complete the operation as quickly and safely as possible it will unfortunately entail some downtime (estimated 4 hours) affecting all our users. We hope to provide outgoing email delivery while the main service is inaccessible.

We'll update with more information when it becomes available.

- Geir
Geir is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28 Nov 2008, 06:24 PM   #2
vazwaz

I assume this will not affect the web site hosting for individual users ?

thanks
Robin
vazwaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Nov 2008, 11:58 PM   #3
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Good point -- this relocation will not affect Runbox Web Hosting, which is provided from another location entirely.

In other words, all web sites hosted with Runbox will keep working throughout.

- Geir
Old 4 Dec 2008, 01:22 AM   #4
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Just a reminder: We are moving our servers as planned tomorrow morning local time.

We have already moved 3 (redundant) servers to the new location and everything is looking good so far.

We will post more information on our website once we start moving.

- Geir
Old 4 Dec 2008, 08:45 PM   #5
gabriele

Thumbs down

Hey what's up with the migration? Did you know we're in 2k8? this things can happen without affecting users

by the way, I expect something more than a "thank you for being so patient"

Last edited by gabriele : 4 Dec 2008 at 09:12 PM.
gabriele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Dec 2008, 09:29 PM   #6
Liz
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
It would be hard not to have users be affected by unplugging the servers, driving them across town, and plugging them back in. We don't have a duplicate set of servers with everyone's mail and everything else on them, ready to step in in a case like that. But it only happens once a decade, however...

Liz
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Dec 2008, 09:29 PM   #7
NashTax

It's still down!

and I agree.. thank you for being patient would of been nice. I'll have so much work to do and apoligies to be made once the server is back up and running...
NashTax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Dec 2008, 09:33 PM   #8
Liz
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Thank you all for being patient! And we too will be equally backed up work wise once we're back up, if that is any consolation.

Liz
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Dec 2008, 09:54 PM   #9
gabriele

i don't care about a big "thank you". I payed for a service that I haven't been able to use for the last 6 hours. And this service happens to be email that is the most critical service for modern businesses. what's even worse you weren't able to restore the service in time, so you're nearly one hour beyond schedule. what about a free extra month for every 30 extra-schedules minutes?

by the way, i don't care about your hardware problems either. why should I? I payed for a service that claims to be "reliable". If you didn't know, in 2k8 you can lease your hardware from the hosting companies so that you don't have to physically move servers between web farms.
Old 4 Dec 2008, 10:02 PM   #10
artN

lost day

I can understand that from 4 hours is 6 hours, maybe it will be more but what I cannot understand why are you moving servers during working day and peak business hours in Europe, we are all working day without email service. To avoid affecting EU and US customers it would be possible to do such a work e.g. from 4 a.m. (in US 10 p.m.) and be "up" again at 9 or 10 a.m or do it over the weekend. All banks are doing their maintenance of internet banking during the night on Saturday/Sunday !!!
artN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Dec 2008, 10:07 PM   #11
navlasop

Gabriele:

If you need to act like a spoiled brat for 6 hours of downtime for your mail...well i'll let others draw the conclusions.

I do agree that it's annoying when time estimates from companies slip, but jheez! Even tough this is a forum, and not a face to face conversation, try to imagine yourself telling these people exactly what you said, to their face. Never would have happened.
navlasop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Dec 2008, 10:20 PM   #12
dbowdley
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Runbox.com
For an excellent service that costs me less than $0.15 a day, Runbox can have the whole day to move their servers as far as I am concerned.
dbowdley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Dec 2008, 10:25 PM   #13
NashTax

Quote:
Originally Posted by navlasop View Post
Gabriele:

If you need to act like a spoiled brat for 6 hours of downtime for your mail...well i'll let others draw the conclusions.

I do agree that it's annoying when time estimates from companies slip, but jheez! Even tough this is a forum, and not a face to face conversation, try to imagine yourself telling these people exactly what you said, to their face. Never would have happened.
I've done it before and not scared to either. When I worked and lives in the US, my rea-seller account went down with a datacenter 10 minutes drive away from where I lived, I sent a support ticket in and no reply. 5+ hours later I went to the datacenter and yelled and screamed at the first person I could find.
NashTax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Dec 2008, 10:33 PM   #14
suzi

Here was me thinking "at least people can't say they weren't warned". Days ago I received an email from Runbox about this, it's also been on their front page, as well as on these forums. I don't know what other warning they could have given...

It's a shame it's down longer, of course we all want to check out mail, but I really would prefer to wait a little bit more so they can make sure everything is working properly.
suzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Dec 2008, 10:35 PM   #15
gabriele

Quote:
Originally Posted by navlasop View Post
try to imagine yourself telling these people exactly what you said, to their face.
then I'd cut short: keep your apologies, gimme a refund