EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 19 Jun 2020, 05:41 AM   #1
dingdong

Microsoft Office Synchronisation Constipation

How do I remove or disable synchronisation in my desktop Microsoft Office Mail program. All online instructions have directions that dont look like my program when opening it up....like I dont have "settings" that I can see.....all I have is "Options"....and when I go into it I dont have what they say to look for......
dingdong is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19 Jun 2020, 07:58 AM   #2
TenFour
Cornerstone of the Community

You can just remove the account from Microsoft Outlook, which is the default Office email program. https://www.lifewire.com/remove-emai...utlook-1173465

Or, are you really trying to turn off sync to unsync the Windows 10 mail app? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ton%20to%20off.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2020, 09:32 AM   #3
dingdong

What account?....I am trying to turn off sync......those links dont help....they seem to be talking about shutting off my mail....I dont want my mail to be shut?
Old 19 Jun 2020, 01:15 PM   #4
pjroutledge

1. With Microsoft Mail open, look for and click on the settings cog near the bottom left of the screen/window.
  2. This should open a 'Settings' menu on the RHS of the screen.
  3. Select 'Manage Accounts'.
  4. Select the mail account that you don't want to sync automatically (eg 'Outlook' if you're using Microsoft Outlook.com).
  5. That should open the 'Account settings' dialog.
  6. Look for 'Change mailbox sync settings', and click on it if you find it.
  7. In the next screen, look for 'Download new content' and change the setting in the drop down menu to 'manually'.
  8. Alternatively, if you really want to disable synchronisation altogether, look for the 'Email' slider under 'Sync options' and slide it to the left.
pjroutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2020, 04:26 PM   #5
dingdong

I dont have "settings" just "options"..this is my first hurdle....I cant put an image up so I cant show you what I see.....
Old 21 Jun 2020, 05:12 PM   #6
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingdong View Post
I cant put an image up so I cant show you what I see.....
http://www.emaildiscussions.com/show...6&postcount=25
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2020, 06:46 AM   #7
dingdong

https://postimg.cc/rdK1nv4x

No settings in bottom left....
Old 22 Jun 2020, 08:20 AM   #8
pjroutledge

That looks like Outlook - not Microsoft Mail.
There are (at least) two Microsoft email apps available with Windows.
One is 'Outlook' (and that looks like the one in the screenshot), and the other is 'Mail'.
My mistake with the instructions earlier - I misunderstood your posts and thought you were referring to 'Mail'.
pjroutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2020, 09:41 AM   #9
dingdong

Hello? how do I stop it from synchronising?

Last edited by dingdong : 30 Jun 2020 at 12:44 PM.
Old 2 Jul 2020, 12:16 PM   #10
dingdong

How do I stop my mail from syncronising?
Old 2 Jul 2020, 05:11 PM   #11
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingdong View Post
https://postimg.cc/rdK1nv4x

No settings in bottom left....
I’m not a Windows user, but what’s under Account and Social Network Settings?
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jul 2020, 12:32 AM   #12
lane

If you are using the desktop version of Outlook (part of MS Office), and if it is a recent or current version, try this. Open Outlook and click on your Inbox. Then at the top, look for a line of something like File, Home, Send / Receive, Folder ... etc. Click on "Send / Receive". Then click on "Send/Receive Groups" just below the "Send / Receive" you just clicked on. In the drop-down list at the bottom should be "Disable Scheduled Send/Receive". That may do it.

Be aware, however, if you are using certain accounts such as those using IMAP as the interface with the server, that clicking on a folder will sync that folder right then. I don't believe there is any way to turn that off except to click on "Work Offline" (becomes visible in the Ribbon when you click "Send / Receive").
lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jul 2020, 09:59 AM   #13
dingdong

Thanks.....yeah thats what mine looks like......did as you said but its still synchronising? It is an IMAP server....no I dont want to turn it off but when I open it to automatically download my mail......
Old Yesterday, 12:11 AM   #14
lane

Try this then. Go as above to the point where you click on "Send/Receive Groups" and get a drop-down list. Click on "Define Send/Receive Groups". Then for each Group that involves your IMAP account (maybe only one, the "All Accounts" group), clear the checkbox beside "Schedule an automatic send/receive every (adjustable box) minutes".

I believe the expected behavior is this: When you click on a folder it will refresh the folder and download any messages there (unless you are in Work Offline mode). But if you just let Outlook sit with the Inbox highlighted, it should not sync until (1) you click Send/Receive > Update Folder, or one of the other Send/Receive commands, OR, (2) click on a different folder and then click once more on the Inbox.

If that doesn't work, I'm out of thoughts, as I am not really an Outlook guru (I just use it myself).
lane is offline   Reply With Quote