EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Google Gmail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Google Gmail Forum Discussions related to Google's Gmail service should go here: suggestions, tips, comments, requests for help, tech issues etc.

Old 25 Jun 2008, 11:54 AM   #1
NJprophet

Extracting photos, embedded, not attached

I have a dear relative who is struggling to become an efficient computer user with great difficulty. He took beautiful digital photos of my son's birthday party, and after a long wait, he has proudly emailed all 137 of them to my gmail account. In 11 seperate emails.
Which is great, except he did not attach the files, he embedded them in the body of the email.
So I do not have a "download files" button at the bottom of the email. In order to get the photos onto my hard drive, I'll have to right click on each one and select a destination folder to save to.
Gmail seems to make it difficult to select all 20 or so photos in a single email and right click once to send them all, which would save time and headache.

I know I could ask that he burn the files to a disk, but I don't think he knows how to do that yet. I have tried to walk them through the process in the past, but they just don't get it. I think you know people like this.

Any ideas on how I can save the emails to my hard drive or select the photos in bulk to separate them out?
NJprophet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25 Jun 2008, 10:31 PM   #2
mramazan
Essential Contributor

I am also interested to know some solution of same problem...

Ramazan
mramazan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2008, 11:35 PM   #3
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Through a little experimentation, I've come up with something which, although not perfect, and maybe a tad convoluted, may (or may not) be "better than nothing."

Although I have occasionally received such messages with multiple embedded images, since I don't know of any way to do a search in gmail for any and all such messages, the best I was able to find through a manual search were a couple of message each with only one embedded image. But I was able to select and "copy" the image from one of the messages (by right-clicking on the picture), then opening the second message and clicking on "Forward", I managed to paste/insert the image from the first message into the compose window of the "to-be-forwarded" message, thus apparently creating a message with two embedded images.

Then, although I'm not sure whether or not it's a necessary step for this to work, I clicked on the capital "T" with the little red "x" on it in the formatting bar above the compose window (just to the left of the "Plain text" link), which when hovering my mouse cursor over it says "Remove Formatting."

I then sent the message to another email address of my own, although I imagine it wouldn't make any difference if I'd just sent it to the same Gmail address. After sending the message, my sent copy now showed two attachments at the bottom, each with very long names of the form:

fetch.dll?action=MyPhotos_GetPubPhoto&PhotoID=nFwAAAAg
F7yP!02G2RQsL0Ai2xdkouXUgywCoDoDniHigrcEhbE

with no extensions to indicate the type of files they were. However, just above them was displayed the usual "Download all attachments" link, which enabled me to download the files as a single zipped file.

Like I said, it's kind of "convoluted", and less than perfect because the files in the downloaded zip file have no extensions, so will all have to be renamed to reflect their actual file type, jpg or whatever, in order to open/display properly, which might be about as tedious as right-clicking to download them all one by one if one has to go through them one by one to rename them, unless one has a program, or knows some "trick", for renaming files "in bulk" to add the necessary extension.

But perhaps this is a partial solution from which someone else can manage to come up with a "refinement" of some kind to save the tedious process of renaming all the files after downloading.
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2008, 12:19 AM   #4
NJprophet

Thanks X-
That's about as helpful a suggestion I should expect for a problem this aggravating.
I tried your way, and it is less tedious.
I just pasted .jpg onto each file name when they were in a folder.

Thanks!
NJprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2008, 01:12 AM   #5
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Glad it was of some help. Although it might be easier if Gmail had provision for downloading a single complete message (regardless of whether or not it has attached or embedded images), as some other webmail services do, rather than only the options of downloading attachments or downloading all one's messages, or at least all new/recent ones, via POP3. But after some four years of using Gmail with all its highly-touted features, I'm still amazed at the number of relatively common features/options which the service still doesn't have.

Although that might suggest another alternative method to try. That is, to forward the messages to some other service which does have provision for saving/downloading entire individual messages, although I'm not sure I could suggest one offhand, as it's not a feature I've used frequently or recently, nor can I recall whether I've ever done so with messages with attached or embedded images. But I'm pretty sure both Yahoo and Hotmail at least used to have provision for downloading individual messages, although I haven't looked into it recently.
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2008, 12:41 PM   #6
CyberSmurf

Eudora saves embedded images in one folder and attachments in another.

But, installing Eudora could be a higher price that some are willing to pay.
CyberSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote