EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 19 Sep 2019, 06:25 PM   #31
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Yes gmail, but I am not a big fan, also outlook same story.

For me fastmail is having so many changes and they are slowly removing little features.

I may just finish up using my ISP mail box, I have my own domain but may scap that.

We have been emailing people with MS accounts and they have not been getting our mail....so that is a worry.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Sep 2019, 06:36 PM   #32
noclue
Cornerstone of the Community

Oh, woe! That's a bad problem. Sort of the same issue I'm dealing with at FM... Geez, I remember when the Internet and email used to be fun! Now there are issues everyday.

Yeah, I am no fan of anything Google, including their email. I would use my ISP, but they make me crazy. That's an easy thing to do, however!
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Sep 2019, 06:43 PM   #33
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Yea it silly, we had to phone people and ask why they had not replied in most cases it was in their junk mail but of course some people just delete junk mail without going through it.
Old 19 Sep 2019, 06:45 PM   #34
noclue

Whenever I can't find something in my mail, the first question people ask me is, "Have you checked your spam folder?"

Granted, I am not a technological wizard, but I am clever enough to empty my spam out everyday. That means I have looked at the folder.
Old 3 Oct 2019, 06:59 PM   #35
noclue

OK, FINALLY! Here's what has happened:

The FM Big Guns have gone home, but didn't leave me much in the way of helpful information. Still not knowing what to do, out of desperation I deleted ALL rules for the offending address. Now my commercial account is working again. I am getting emails at that address now. I'm not sure that's a real good idea; it sort of feels like not locking the back door at night.

I just really, really didn't want to leave FastMail.
Old 3 Oct 2019, 08:04 PM   #36
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Glad you have it all sorted...
Old 3 Oct 2019, 08:52 PM   #37
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue View Post
OK, FINALLY! Here's what has happened:

The FM Big Guns have gone home, but didn't leave me much in the way of helpful information. Still not knowing what to do, out of desperation I deleted ALL rules for the offending address. Now my commercial account is working again. I am getting emails at that address now. I'm not sure that's a real good idea; it sort of feels like not locking the back door at night.

I just really, really didn't want to leave FastMail.
Well, good. But there's no surprise that deleting the rules 'fixed' the problem. You showed us that you had created rules that told FM to delete all the incoming mail for certain addresses.

I made the point earlier that - maybe - you created those rules when you were following the advice of (someone else in an earlier discussion) and you didn't understand the advice you being given. Anyone needs to be REALLY careful following advice that they don't fully understand.

Also, it is a really bad idea to use rules to delete mails. As you have found, if they delete more than you expected, one can't (on a system like this one) tell that that happened. [Some systems keep a log of the decisions they make so you would know that mails were deleted by a particular rule... but you still wouldn't be able to get them back. With a system that does create a log, one needs to review the log looking for instances of rules that didn't do what one expected. Most people don't bother and therefore most people lose mails.]

It is FAR better to set up rules that move mails (that you might not want) to a 'mails I probably do not want' folder, and then - and this is important - you look at what actually gets sent there, and only if it really is rubbish, do you then manually delete them. Maybe, after several /months/ of doing that, if there has never been a genuine mail moved there by accident, you might decide the rule is identifying the right mails, and change its action to delete rather than move. Personally, I do not do that. There's almost no criteria I might use for a 'delete' rule which couldn't one day, catch a genuine mail.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Oct 2019, 09:06 PM   #38
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue View Post

### 2. Sieve generated for discard rules
if address :is "To" "XXXX@fastmail.us" {
discard;
stop;
}
discard;
stop;
}
discard;
stop;
}
Do you remember that a few weeks back you showed us those lines from the Sieve script?

Those three rules deleted incoming mails.

There must have been three corresponding rules in your list of rules.

I'd like to suggest to you that if you ever experiment with rules again, you should keep notes of what rules you add, what the rule definition actually says on the screen, and what you hope that rule will actually do.

One of the problems with systems where people just point and click on things to make rules, is that there is nowhere on that screen that any user can leave a note about what they wanted the rule to do. And, if for example one day someone changes a rule a little bit, most people do not keep notes on what they changed. But it is essential that you do that.

If you have notes you can find that on a certain day you changed a rule, just a little ... and if something stopped working on that day, the chances are that it was because of the change that was made then.

If you have no notes, it's impossible to tell if a change in behaviour is caused by a change in the rules.

Keeping notes on what has been changed, and what the change was meant/hoped to do (which might not be what it actually turns out to do) is an essential part of feeling that one is in charge of one's computer.

It's often easier to take screenshots of settings screens than it is to write a complete description of the settings on them.

You were going to learn how to take screenshots... have you done that?
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote