EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 15 Feb 2005, 12:47 AM   #61
trew
Cornerstone of the Community

The latest Sygate hs problems

I've red in Forums that the latest ahs problems. use older 5.5 instead they advice me.

My problem is that it remembers that at one time I didn't wanted to update yahoo Anti spy so now when I want to updateit then it don't allow me anymore.

I guess for computer savvy people it is a jifffy.

I need to be more of a computer geek to get it. It is too teckie for me. But I've heard that both ZoneAlarm and Keiro are even more demanding.

The SP2 that I need to get will have a fullblown firewall so that will solve my problems maybe. Unless that one prevent me from using Panda AV online and RAV AV online and AntiVir AV from working.

Trew

Last edited by trew : 15 Feb 2005 at 08:40 PM.
trew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2005, 06:58 AM   #62
JeffK

I'd like to carry this conversation a little further if I may because I have come to trust the advice of my EMD peers.

Following my recent purchase of braodband I am giving consideration to paying for a firewall and antivirus solution.

I currently run the free version of Sygate with free AVG and subscription based EZ antivirus ($US20 per year) which is due for renewal. I have found that the AVG/EZ Antivirus combination was necessary as each one on its own appears to miss certain viruses, most notably, Bropia.

I have dug out the following possible combinations

1. Buy Zonealarm Antivirus which combines the ZA firewall with the EZ Antivirus engine ($25) and perhaps also run BitDefender Antivirus ($30pa) (No1 in reviews on www.toptenreviews.com) or AVG Pro ($33 plus $33 every two years – No 2 in the reviews).

2. Buy the Kerio/AVG package available for $55pa plus ongoing subscription cost of approx $39pa

3. Because I have Norton Systemworks 2002 I can get a discount on Norton Antivirus/Personal Firewall to $40 plus subscription costs.

If any forum members have any opinions/experiences/alternatives they would like to share it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

Last edited by JeffK : 28 Mar 2005 at 07:12 AM.
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Apr 2005, 06:50 AM   #63
JeffK

I'm still deciding. I've now included Agnitum Outpost at $US40 on the shortlist and Zonealarm Pro $50 is on trial on my machine. The only thing that is stopping me is Outposts skeleton support for Windows XP Fast User Switching. For those interested there is a recent review over at http://www.donationcoder.com/Reviews...all/index.html (Caveat Emptor - this site solicits donations).

Jeff
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2005, 07:45 AM   #64
silasm0

firewall

Is this the latest free version of Zone Alarms firewall or is the latest free trial version. I just downloaded this at zone alarm's advice and am not sure. I have had my present free version on the pc for only 12 days! Here is the number:

zlsSetup_60_667_000
silasm0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Nov 2005, 09:46 PM   #65
Gankaku

Hi all...I'm here today because since I downloaded Zonealarm's 6.0 version, I've had nothing but troubles with my machine rebooting. From what I've read it's the driver. I've tried uninstalling Zonealarm and going back to 5.5 but it's still carrying that 6.0 driver.

Does anyone know how I can get rid of the 6.0 driver?

Anyway I'm also interested in checking out another firewall. I need something free because we're really tight on cash. I understand Kerio's not free anymore. I am really interested in Outpost - I thought they had something free, and am going to go do some more digging on their webpage.

I can't find the page I was looking at yesterday; it had recent updates about the firewalls and Kerio is not longer supporting it's version after the end of this month; this software was bought out by that company; etc. It seemed only ZA was still the best choice and I'd love to stick with it if they could fix their driver problem TODAY. Until they fix it I have to have something else so I can use my machine without it rebooting 10 times daily.

Any recommendations on firewalls?
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Nov 2005, 09:51 PM   #66
ReuvenNY

Quote:
Originally posted by Gankaku
Hi all...I'm here today because since I downloaded Zonealarm's 6.0 version, I've had nothing but troubles with my machine rebooting. From what I've read it's the driver. I've tried uninstalling Zonealarm and going back to 5.5 but it's still carrying that 6.0 driver.
Does anyone know how I can get rid of the 6.0 driver?
You may want to download JV16 Power Tools from this site: http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/
Then clean up your registry (after you uninstall ZA). That should help.
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Nov 2005, 10:01 PM   #67
nbarr

Quote:
Hi all...I'm here today because since I downloaded Zonealarm's 6.0 version, I've had nothing but troubles with my machine rebooting. From what I've read it's the driver. I've tried uninstalling Zonealarm and going back to 5.5 but it's still carrying that 6.0 driver
I had similar effects happen when I went from ZoneAlarm 5.5 to 6.0.
But once I uninstalled 6.0 and reinstalled 5.5 I didn't have any further problems.

Have heard many positive comments about Agnitums Outpost firewall over the years but have not used it myself. If I was searching for an alternative thats where I would look first.
nbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Nov 2005, 12:46 AM   #68
JRobert
Master of the @

Quote:
Any recommendations on firewalls?
Sygate Personal Firewall's been working well for me.

-jeff-
JRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Nov 2005, 10:08 PM   #69
Gankaku

Quote:
Originally posted by ReuvenNY
You may want to download JV16 Power Tools from this site: http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/
Then clean up your registry (after you uninstall ZA). That should help.
I have a registry cleaning tool. It didn't help.

Quote:
Originally posted by nbarr
I had similar effects happen when I went from ZoneAlarm 5.5 to 6.0.
But once I uninstalled 6.0 and reinstalled 5.5 I didn't have any further problems.
I tried your suggestion. ZA wouldn't load for me after that. So I had to go BACK to 6.0.

I sent ZA a message about my problems. They sent me their most recent beta that's not been released yet. I guess I'm one of the guinea pigs that gets to test it out. I've got it running right now but I've not put in enough computer time yesterday to actually see if it's corrected my issue...

I'm still interested in testing out some others. I've been using ZA since the beginning and I've heard good things about both Sygate and Outpost. Sygate was just purchased by Symantec (could be good or bad?)

Here is that freeware comparison article I was talking about...
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Nov 2005, 10:29 PM   #70
ReuvenNY

Quote:
I have a registry cleaning tool. It didn't help.
Not all registry cleaners are the same... Some are great, others are of no value. Check Fred Langa's newsletter on that subject:

http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2005/2005-10-10.htm

There is something on ZA there as well.
Old 5 Nov 2005, 04:05 AM   #71
curious
Essential Contributor

Gankaku: As Reuven said, there's been a lot of discussion in the recent Langalist newsletters (great tech newsletter, more info here; search pre-configured for you here). I don't have ZA myself but recall reading a lot of troubleshooting suggestions in recent Langalist editions.

FWIW, I'm trying out Outpost now, and it seems OK except that after a week it's still prompting me for a lot of rules & one-time OKs. I'd like to get to the point where it operates silently in the background 99% of the time.

Good luck!

Last edited by curious : 5 Nov 2005 at 04:16 AM.
curious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Nov 2005, 11:49 PM   #72
nbarr

Quote:
I sent ZA a message about my problems. They sent me their most recent beta that's not been released yet. I guess I'm one of the guinea pigs that gets to test it out. I've got it running right now but I've not put in enough computer time yesterday to actually see if it's corrected my issue...
I would be extremely interested in knowing how the beta works out for you.
I find being stuck with an older version an uncomfortable position to be in, albeit a better one than having an unstable system as happened when I installed 6.0.
nbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Nov 2005, 08:03 PM   #73
ReuvenNY

One more article in Langa on Firewalls:

http://langa.com/newsletters/2005/2005-11-07.htm

Edit: A direct link to his Firewall article:

http://www.informationweek.com/story...leID=173402915

Last edited by ReuvenNY : 7 Nov 2005 at 08:40 PM.
Old 19 Nov 2005, 10:40 AM   #74
msulloway

I have been very satisfied with the free Agnitum Outpost firewall. It was on the MS list of recommended firewalls. Nothing has gotten through to my MS2000 machine since this was installed. You have to hunt a bit at the web site to find the free version. You have extensive configuration options.
msulloway is offline   Reply With Quote