EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 4 May 2003, 11:17 AM   #1
VinceS

Question Pocket PC 2002 and IMAP

I just purchased a Dell Axim X5 Pocket PC that I found for a steal online. It's a great little device for contacts, schedules, balancing my checkbook, and my corporate e-mail account, but I'm having a little trouble setting up the IMAP implementation of Pocket Outlook.

I've chosen the settings as posted on the fastmail.fm website for Pocket PCs, and I can download e-mail, but I cannot send. The problem appears to be that Pocket Outlook doesn't like Fastmail's directory structure. When I synchronize the folders, I get a listing like this:

Inbox
Inbox.folder1
Inbox.folder2
Inbox.sent items
Inbox.spam
etc.

It appears Pocket Outlook doesn't like the having folders like "sent items" and "drafts" nested as subfolders in the inbox. It wants something more "Microsoft" like:

Inbox
Folder1
Folder2
Sent Items
etc.

without the inbox subfolders.

Have any of you gotten Fastmail to work successfully with a Pocket PC 2002? I'd really prefer to use IMAP rather than POP b/c that's the main reason I bought a Fastmail account in the first place. I've also downloaded the @mail client and considered purchasing the program, but it doesn't handle IMAP much better.

Do any of you have a solution? I can't use Outlook 2000 for IMAP and sync it to my PPC that way b/c I have Outlook set up for my Exchange account at work. Is there a way to synch a PPC with Outlook Express or some way I can change the folder structure to a format more to my Axim's liking?

Vince
VinceS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 4 May 2003, 01:55 PM   #2
BinaryTB
Essential Contributor

I've got the same problem, except using a Toshiba PocketPC. There is another IMAP email client, IMAP Force, but I haven't tried it yet. Maybe it will work better with Fastmail. If anybody has tried, let us know. Thanks.

IMAP Force
BinaryTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2003, 04:56 AM   #3
Charlie949

Lightbulb Fastmail on the Axim (IMAP)

I have the Axim and love it as well. I've been able to send and receive emails using the built-in client.

Here are the settings I used to make it work.
Mail server: fastmail.fm
SMTP server: fastmail.fm
Domain: <blank>
In the advanced settings, check the bok "Outgoing e-mail requires authentication"

Hope this helps. Let us know if this solves the problem.
Charlie949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2003, 05:35 AM   #4
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

Re: Pocket PC 2002 and IMAP

Quote:
Originally posted by VinceS

I've chosen the settings as posted on the fastmail.fm website for Pocket PCs, and I can download e-mail, but I cannot send. The problem appears to be that Pocket Outlook doesn't like Fastmail's directory structure. When I synchronize the folders, I get a listing like this:

Inbox
Inbox.folder1
Inbox.folder2
Inbox.sent items
Inbox.spam
etc.
Firstly, sending has nothing to do IMAP.

The folder listing you are seeing is as it appears on the IMAP server.
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2003, 10:40 AM   #5
mvpittman
Essential Contributor

I'm expecting my Axim X5 to arrive this week. Isn't there an option to set the root folder to "INBOX." or whatever so that the folder structure appears somewhat normal?
mvpittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2003, 03:09 PM   #6
VinceS

No, unfortunately, that option doesn't exist. I've looked all over the place, including trying to find an upgrade or patch on Microsoft's website. Pocket Outlook is pretty thin as far as the options and settings go. It syncs really well with Outlook 2000, but the IMAP implementation is just not there yet.

I don't know though, it may sync well with Outlook if you set it up for IMAP, but I need it for Exchange mail for work, and Outlook 2000 doesn't allow you to use both IMAP and Exchange at the same time. I believe that Outlook XP can handle Exchange and IMAP at the same time, but from what I've picked up in these forums, the IMAP support isn't the best, and I really don't want to spring for an upgrade to Office XP since I just bought the Axim.
Old 5 May 2003, 03:25 PM   #7
VinceS

Quote:
Firstly, sending has nothing to do IMAP.
Sending mail, per se, is not the problem--I do know that's on the SMTP end of things. The problem is that Pocket Outlook is looking for a sent items, drafts, and outbox in my root folder, not as a subfolder in the Inbox folder. When I save a draft, or send a message, Pocket Outlook is trying to send the message to a nonexsistent outbox and sent items folder in the root directory. What I'd like is either the ability to change the directory structure in Fastmail (which I'm thinking may not be possible) or a way to have Pocket Outlook look in the correct folders using some sort of option so I set the root of the directory structure to start at INBOX, like the option in Mozilla.
Quote:
I have the Axim and love it as well. I've been able to send and receive emails using the built-in client.
Are you using IMAP or POP3?
Old 5 May 2003, 07:20 PM   #8
Charlie949

Quote:
Originally posted by VinceS

Are you using IMAP or POP3?
IMAP.

The only problem I'm having is getting the email client to save a copy of outgoing mail into the Sent Items or Inbox.Sent Items folders.
Charlie949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2003, 05:34 AM   #9
bitequator
The "e" in e-mail

I had high hopes for PPC 2003, but unfortunately it looks to be same old, same old for the most part
bitequator is offline   Reply With Quote