EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 14 Sep 2023, 04:06 PM   #1
truemagic

MXRoute RoundCube

Hi @jarland

I'm trying out MXRoute and it seems to be VERY good (like it alot!)

I've two questions/requests for RoundCube in particular, hopefully it's not too much to ask for

1) I'm currently pointing webmail to my domain and noticed the title is still RoundCube Webmail, is it possible just to change the title to the url to make it more personalized, such as "webmail.example.com" instead?

2) I'm coming from another email provider which coincidently also using RoundCube and I immediately noticed a "missing" feature, which is the right click ability on mail list (allow quick action on specific email eg. delete, move, mark as spam) screenshot After a quick search I guess there is a RoundCube plugin that needs to be installed.

Just my small wish list! I'm enjoying MXRoute so far
truemagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15 Sep 2023, 05:15 PM   #2
jarland
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
MXRoute.com
Every Roundcube plugin is a deep commitment as it can impact deployment, updates, security, and performance. It's not something I take lightly. I'm afraid it also doesn't support per-URL page titles. Crossbox, however, very much supports more heavy branding: https://mxroutedocs.com/branding/crossbox/

There's also nothing stopping anyone from using their own webmail client, altered to their liking. So long as it's configuration allows you to specify our server as an IMAP/SMTP backend and you have a system available to install it on.
jarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2023, 05:58 PM   #3
truemagic

Noted with thanks.

Might as well copy my reply from Discord so that everyone can keep track

Quote:
in fact I'm using FairEmail (client) to access it on my mobile and all are good and configurable.
just that I tend to use browser client more when I'm using desktop (don't quite like to use Thunderbird -- personal opinion)
thanks for your replies nevertheless.appreciated
Never heard of Crossbox maybe will have a look at it when I've some free time. Who knows it could be my next favorite client!
Old 18 Sep 2023, 08:46 PM   #4
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

There's a distinction to be made here between what is possible if you install Roundcube on your own server and configure it yourself for you (or your customers) to use ...

... versus what someone logging-in to a Roundcube system (that someone else has set up) is able to do.

The version I use (set up by my mail-provider) offers a choice of "skin"; perhaps you could achieve what you want (IF you are the installer) by tinkering with the contents of one skin's files.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Sep 2023, 03:19 PM   #5
truemagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyNicoll View Post
There's a distinction to be made here between what is possible if you install Roundcube on your own server and configure it yourself for you (or your customers) to use ...

... versus what someone logging-in to a Roundcube system (that someone else has set up) is able to do.

The version I use (set up by my mail-provider) offers a choice of "skin"; perhaps you could achieve what you want (IF you are the installer) by tinkering with the contents of one skin's files.
Very true. I'm merely an end user and don't quite ready to selfhost RoundCube anytime soon

I'm getting accustomed to the new RoundCube skin (was previously using RiseUp which offers right clicking capability but I could not check what version of RoundCube it's running on, I think they purposely kept it hidden). At least I know MXroute is using the latest RoundCube 1.6.1 which to me is, perfect.

I'm all good now and a happy customer
Old 19 Sep 2023, 10:26 PM   #6
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by truemagic View Post
I'm getting accustomed to the new RoundCube skin (was previously using RiseUp which offers right clicking capability but I could not check what version of RoundCube it's running on, I think they purposely kept it hidden). At least I know MXroute is using the latest RoundCube 1.6.1 which to me is, perfect.
Does your version of RC allow you to change skin? The choice would be at Settings - Preferences - User Interface.

Mine (1.6.1) only offers two: "Elastic" and "Larry". Elastic is newer and one of those fancy ones that adjusts how much you see depending on screen size/shape so if one drags a laptop browser window small you get something that looks as if it's on a mobile phone. I prefer the older Larry.

I just looked at: https://roundcube.net/screens/ which shows official skins - none named Rise-Up. And also at the place where other skins are held.

I googled for "roundcube skin" "rise-up" and found NO hits for a skin of that name. What I did find was hits for lists of ubuntu packages where the lists contained roundcube packges and elsewhere on the lists references to a VPN named "Rise-Up".

Anyway, the reason I looked was I thought I might download whatever skin you are using and see if somewhere in its files I could find the apparently missing "About" link.

In "Larry" it executes JS

onclick="UI.show_about(this);return false"

I use Firefox; when I had a RC webpage open I opened the "web console" by pressing Ctrl-Shift-K, then clicked on the "console" tab, which gave me a place to type commands to the browser, then tried to paste a command in. Firefox warned that this could be dangerous and told me to confirm I wanted to, which I did. I then pasted-in and edited the command so it was just: UI.show_about() without enclosing quotes, without the "return" and without any parameter between the brackets, so - guessing - just the most basic request to get the About info, and pressed Enter, and up popped the About pane.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Sep 2023, 10:18 AM   #7
truemagic

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for the ideas. I've checked my RC - Preferences - User Interface and it does not let me choose any other skin, so I guess it has only one ;-)

Sorry for the confusion, but RiseUp is another email provider (https://riseup.net/) I was using prior to MXroute, and it has two skins listed (Ink and Larry). It was defaulted to "Ink" which I get used to a lot before this.

Quote:
I then pasted-in and edited the command so it was just: UI.show_about() without enclosing quotes, without the "return" and without any parameter between the brackets, so - guessing - just the most basic request to get the About info, and pressed Enter, and up popped the About pane.
You're genius! I was able to select "Larry" skin (obviously not working on "Ink") and force the About pane to show up and the output as follows:

Code:
Roundcube Webmail 1.6.3
Copyright © 2005-2022, The Roundcube Dev Team

This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
Some exceptions for skins & plugins apply.

Installed plugins
Plugin	Version	License	Source
contextmenu	3.2	GPL-3.0	Download
database_attachments	1.2	GPL-3.0+	
filesystem_attachments	1.0	GPL-3.0+	
hide_blockquote	1.0	GPL-3.0+	
jqueryui	1.13.2	GPL-3.0+	
keyboard_shortcuts	2.4.2	GPL-2.0	Download
listcommands		GPL-2.0	Download
markasjunk	2.0	GPL-3.0+	
message_highlight		GPL-2.0	Download
quota_notify	--		
vcard_attachments	4.2	GPL-3.0+	
zipdownload	3.4	GPL-3.0+
Surprisingly it's on a RC version newer then MXroute, i.e. v1.6.3

And there goes the plugin I was talking about => keyboard_shortcuts 2.4.2 and the download link is there too

Last edited by truemagic : 20 Sep 2023 at 04:19 PM.
Old 25 Sep 2023, 11:29 AM   #8
jarland
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
MXRoute.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyNicoll View Post

Only if they've done heavy customization and don't give you access to what they have. We usually try to keep everything open source so you can usually follow along with what we do, with relative ease. And since our Roundcube instances connect to localhost over IMAP/SMTP ports, it doesn't really have any special path to anything that you can't have by pointing your instance to our servers.

However, I have a new playground at webmail.mxroute.com where I'm experimenting a bit more with making Roundcube fit my personal desires, and there are some things that aren't open source on it:

https://roundcubeplus.com/skins/gmail_plus
https://roundcubeplus.com/plugins/calendar
https://roundcubeplus.com/plugins/signature

But other than that totally open source. Even this plugin we made which I think is amazing, I've seen people asking for it in obscure places for years and no one ever fulfilled it: https://github.com/mxroute/mxlookup
Old 1 Oct 2023, 02:51 AM   #9
emebrs
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarland View Post
I have a new playground at webmail.mxroute.com
Is that now the "preferred" method of accessing MXroute webmail?
emebrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Oct 2023, 07:30 AM   #10
jarland
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
MXRoute.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by emebrs View Post
Is that now the "preferred" method of accessing MXroute webmail?
I wouldn't go that far, though it is my personal preference. It's me trying to answer the question, "What if we had one central, open-source webmail solution that all users on all servers could use and that I enjoyed using?"

It's really always been my dream to have that, and because I built the service on the same model as that of shared web hosting, it's been a tough thing to bring together.
Old 4 Oct 2023, 12:33 PM   #11
truemagic

For me I prefer one central, everything-in-one webmail but on the other hand it's based on your personal pick of plugins/features so it might happen the feature(s) we used will be gone at some point and also the feature(s) users want might not get into your wishlist That's my only "rant" but you can also argue that even big tech email providers choose the features that they're fond of.

My suggestion: Maybe come out with a user survey a list of features that users want in the future and keep maintaining this (kind of like a roadmap -with- priorities).

Just my 2 cent if you want to make this centralized webmail the future of MXroute
Old 7 Oct 2023, 04:19 AM   #12
emebrs
Essential Contributor

To give context, MXroute is the only web service I've ever used that requires me to weaken my firewall settings every time I want to use it (and then strengthen the firewall when I decide I'm finished a few minutes later).

Today I decided to give this new webmail a go. What a sweet surprise that I was able to sign in and send and receive mail without having to touch my firewall. The interface is also fast. The whole experience feels less beta than MXroute's implementation of SquirrelMail. I dearly miss SquirrelMail but at least one other person on this forum suggested it's so old that it could become unsafe.

So if this new "playground" is the future then I welcome it! It's great to see. I should have jumped on it months ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarland View Post
However, I have a new playground at webmail.mxroute.com
emebrs is offline   Reply With Quote