EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 13 Jan 2019, 02:46 AM   #1
hitoriangasu

Thumbs down Android/iOS apps - offline access

I'm disappointed to see that the updates to the apps are, from a user perspective, primarily cosmetic. Perhaps this isn't important to everyone, but not having offline access to a cached collection of emails is a significant limitation. I travel a lot for business - which means long hours spent on planes - and I otherwise often do not have internet access (for example when I am inside buildings or underground). My emails are therefore, at least when I am using the FastMail apps, inaccessible.

The lack of this feature means that people are potentially being pushed towards potentially dubious third-party apps. While I think that the third-party email app that I have come to rely on is fine, I would prefer to be able to access my email from within the FastMail ecosystem - that's the ecosystem that I trust.

I see a lot of email users on Android (where the native email apps are often dire) extolling the virtues of many email apps which I would never use - mail.ru being one - or apps which, while probably safe enough for a casual user, store emails on their own servers prior to delivering them to the user's phone. I would have expected that FastMail users, especially business users, would not have to rely on a potentially risky third-party app when FastMail makes a feature of having its own apps.

It's a shame as FastMail is otherwise excellent.

Last edited by hitoriangasu : 13 Jan 2019 at 02:52 AM.
hitoriangasu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13 Jan 2019, 06:58 AM   #2
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

They are working on it since 2015: http://www.emaildiscussions.com/show...28&postcount=5
Someday it's coming.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2019, 08:57 AM   #3
EricG
Essential Contributor

We really need some EMD FAQs! This topic keeps coming up.

There is a built-in IMAP/EAS email program in Android (gmail) and iOS. I can't remember how configurable IMAP folder sync is on Android. I use EAS with outlook.com and folders can be selected. It's all documented by fastmail.
EricG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jan 2019, 06:25 AM   #4
hitoriangasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricG View Post
We really need some EMD FAQs! This topic keeps coming up.

There is a built-in IMAP/EAS email program in Android (gmail) and iOS. I can't remember how configurable IMAP folder sync is on Android. I use EAS with outlook.com and folders can be selected. It's all documented by fastmail.
I'm glad you've found a solution to your needs, but the Gmail App on Android is pretty primitive and doesn't support multiple identities. It's a good basic option, but not a full-featured solution for my needs.
hitoriangasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Feb 2023, 09:56 PM   #5
TenFour
Master of the @

I suspect FairEmail would be ideal for what you want to do. Has just about every option you could imagine. https://email.faircode.eu/
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote