EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 26 Jan 2021, 07:43 AM   #1
InquiringMind

Please Recommend A Safe Spam Testing Website

I frequently send out articles on Covid to friends and family. Generally, I make the attachment by scrolling screenshot of the article from whichever website with SnagIt. I convert the .snag file to a ,jpg and then use Adobe Acrobat online to convert to a scrolling .pdf

Sometimes, when I email these long pdf attachments, I get bounceback emails from recipient's mail servers that my email is suspected spam.

I see many spam testing websites that offer a limited number of free tests each day, but I do not know which are legit and which are themselves an email address harvesting service to sell to spammers.

Can people tell me which free spam testing services are SAFE to use ???

TIA
InquiringMind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26 Jan 2021, 12:17 PM   #2
jarland
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
MXRoute.com
Large attachments and COVID related, kind of sounds like the deck will be stacked against you. I like mail-tester.com. It's not going to do much to tell you about Hotmail, Gmail, etc but none can with any degree of confidence. At least you'll be made aware of a good baseline by using it.
jarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2021, 07:12 PM   #3
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Rather than posting a pdf with an image in it (which is a common way that spammers send a picture of what they hope looks like a genuine email from some company) why don't you put the PDF on a cloud service, then send your friends a URL allowing them to access it?

Most (or maybe all) of the cloud file storage services offer a modest amount of storage if you don't want to pay for what you need.

Or, you could give your friends a URL to a folder of such files, and give the files names like

2021 01 26 article about whatever it is.pdf

so that the most recent one is always at the start or end of the list of files (if they are sorted by name), but they can find older articles easily too.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2021, 09:20 PM   #4
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
Generally, I make the attachment by scrolling screenshot of the article from whichever website with SnagIt. I convert the .snag file to a ,jpg and then use Adobe Acrobat online to convert to a scrolling .pdf
That's going to be flagged as spam by a lot of systems. Stop sending out large attachments and instead link to the article hosted somewhere else, as Jeremy writes above.
TenFour is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2021, 02:03 PM   #5
InquiringMind

Hello everyone and thank you for the helpful suggestions.

So I tried mail-tester.com and it said the email was 10/10 perfect except it could not tell about the large pdf.

So as some of you suggested, I put the pdf on a cloud server and just put the link in the email.

The email was again rejected as possible spam.

I was pretty flummoxed.

So I sent the same email with the link only to a friend's alternate email address and it was accepted without a problem.

It seems that the email hosting company that is rejecting my emails is Go Daddy.
Is there any way I can tell people, who I email, who use Go Daddy as their email host, how to whitelist me or how to provide a permission for emails with links to cloud servers in them ???

TIA
InquiringMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2021, 07:01 PM   #6
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by InquiringMind View Post

It seems that the email hosting company that is rejecting my emails is Go Daddy.
Is there any way I can tell people, who I email, who use Go Daddy as their email host, how to whitelist me or how to provide a permission for emails with links to cloud servers in them ???
In my experience it's rare for mails to be classed as spam for a single reason. Usually it's a set of things, all of which might be moderately iffy, scoring badly according to some set of tests, yielding a cumulative score that puts the mail over a threshold.

If the recipients can set the threshold at which they want possibly bad emails to be classed as spam, they might have that set very low. In my experience many ISPs' defaults are too low - yes they'll get rid of lots of spam, but they'll get rid of much that is genuine too... (On my own systems I accept all the spam so I can see that nothing genuine is being lost. Back in the dial-up days that was impractical but with broadband it is not.)

The headers of the thought-to-be spam mails may show how the score was reached. Your recipients may have no idea how to interpret that, but if you can get some of them to forward examles of rejected mails back to you, you can see if there's common features.

If you're not already sending the mails as plain text (ie not "rich text") then send plan text - "rich text" is too often used to make things look like they're from banks etc when they are not. Give the mails a sensible subject line and a paragraph or two of sensible text.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2021, 09:29 AM   #7
jarland
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
MXRoute.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by InquiringMind View Post
Hello everyone and thank you for the helpful suggestions.

So I tried mail-tester.com and it said the email was 10/10 perfect except it could not tell about the large pdf.

So as some of you suggested, I put the pdf on a cloud server and just put the link in the email.

I was pretty flummoxed.

So I sent the same email with the link only to a friend's alternate email address and it was accepted without a problem.

TIA
See that's interesting because mail-tester checks against SpamAssassin and last I knew, that's what GoDaddy used. Perhaps they have different services that use different things or they've changed since then, my memory there is quite old admittedly.
jarland is offline   Reply With Quote