EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 21 Feb 2017, 07:00 AM   #271
communicant
Cornerstone of the Community

OK, that does it. I truly give up. This whole episode (especially the companion thread regarding Member accounts) has brought into view and rubbed our collective noses in everything that eventually intrudes into and ruins so much of human enterprise and interaction of all sorts. FastMail comes out looking bad, having created an entirely needless and commercially counterproductive kerfuffle that will do the company's long-term and wider reputation no good at all. And alas, many members of this forum seem to have gone out of their way to display an invincible illogic that stubbornly ignores valid points and commits every logical fallacy and shameless non sequitur in the book of rhetorical malpractice, along with displaying an occasional mean streak that is truly unpleasant to behold. It all mirrors what has become common practice in the wider world, so one shouldn't be surprised, just saddened. Immense gratitude is owed to those forum members who have avoided these pitfalls and managed to uphold standards of clear thought and considerate expression that do them credit. As for the rest, it goes to show how much gratuitous hostility can be displayed while technically remaining within the guidelines of a forum that supposedly prides itself on civility.

Last edited by communicant : 21 Feb 2017 at 07:40 AM. Reason: clarification
communicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2017, 08:11 AM   #272
chickadee

Say it ain't so, communicant! Don't abandon us in our time of struggle. We need your clear, concise, cogent words to inspire us, to keep us fighting the good fight. As my childhood buddy, Billy "The Kid" Shakespeare, once told me when we were playing in the sandbox at our nursery school, "I am a kind of burr; I shall stick." We, all right-thinking persons, implore you to "stick"!
chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2017, 12:01 PM   #273
Bamb0
Master of the @

Yes please dont leave communicant!... Your a good member here @ EMD!!

Dont let whats going on elsewhere push you over....... This is very sad what they are doing but lets stick together
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2017, 12:40 PM   #274
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamb0 View Post
Yes please dont leave communicant!... Your a good member here @ EMD!!

Dont let whats going on elsewhere push you over....... This is very sad what they are doing but lets stick together
Though I am short on words, I entirely agree, communicant: your posts are important to me, for sure.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2017, 12:29 AM   #275
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Quote:
Originally Posted by communicant View Post
And alas, many members of this forum seem to have gone out of their way to display an invincible illogic that stubbornly ignores valid points and commits every logical fallacy and shameless non sequitur in the book of rhetorical malpractice, along with displaying an occasional mean streak that is truly unpleasant to behold. It all mirrors what has become common practice in the wider world, so one shouldn't be surprised, just saddened. Immense gratitude is owed to those forum members who have avoided these pitfalls and managed to uphold standards of clear thought and considerate expression that do them credit. As for the rest, it goes to show how much gratuitous hostility can be displayed while technically remaining within the guidelines of a forum that supposedly prides itself on civility.
Communicant, It sounds like you are disavowing anyone that has any opinion different than yours.

When you categorize anyone with an opinion different than yours as illogical, shameless, mean, truly unpleasant, uncivil, and then praise anyone holding the same view as your own as being clear in thought, considerate, and holding high standards - you entrench your beliefs, polarize the debate, and you make no place for dialogue.

This is what we see happening in the political system and it only goes to entrench personal feelings - to the point that people start marching and protesting all over the place.

I get there are hard feelings about what's been done. But just because people disagree with your perspective, doesn't mean they are illogical, etc. Wisdom is trying to understand someone else's point of view, from their point of view, - then trying to approach them from where they are. I get that you are upset that things changed, but I really don't think anyone's been malicious in this whole thing.

Sorry you have to find a new email provider.

/cl
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2017, 01:23 AM   #276
pjwalsh
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grhm View Post
Also, the C2-01 has a proper, dependable, physical keypad, so I don't have to faff about endlessly with one of those bloody awful hit-and-miss touch-screen affairs.
...Symbian is stable, reliable, well-thought-out, compact, unpretentious and easy to use, and it still works fine.
Quote:
...I'm now pretty much resigned to the fact that I will have to get myself a new phone, and that (much as I dislike them) it will have to be one of those huge, power-hungry, touch-screen things.
Grhm for your purposes you might consider an E72 with ProfiMail.
ProfiMail for Symbian is a superb IMAP client, now free.
The E-series PKB was the best, even has a Ctrl key.
For use with today's SHA2 certs, this fix.

Last edited by pjwalsh : 25 Feb 2017 at 02:55 AM.
pjwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2017, 12:01 AM   #277
walpurg

Quote:
Originally Posted by communicant View Post
[...] many members of this forum seem to have gone out of their way to display [,..] illogic [...] logical fallacy [...] non sequitur [...] an occasional mean streak [...]
This is true. For example, to check things off this list:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaLamb View Post
[...] anyone that has any opinion different than yours.

[...] anyone with an opinion different than yours [...]

[...] just because people disagree with your perspective [...]
And, finally, an occasional mean streak >>> this here post by yours truly.

j/k, but seriously, the guy said nothing about only those who disagree with him doing bad things and those who agree being all good.
walpurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2017, 01:32 AM   #278
TenFour
Master of the @

Bottom line is if you don't like the available FM interface just move on to another service--easy peasy. I don't understand all the hand wringing. Companies change products all the time for a multitude of reasons, many of which will never be known to most of us. It's just email! Find another service provider to your liking.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2017, 06:17 AM   #279
Bamb0
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour
Companies change products all the time for a multitude of reasons.....
Yes and it always get worse. WHY?

Why do they think BETTER is no good now and go out of thier way to make it worse?? (Not as user friendly and more)
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2017, 06:35 AM   #280
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
Yes and it always get worse.
It may be worse for you, but I suspect it is better for many more people. Having worked in another part of the software industry I know that whenever something is changed you mostly hear from those negatively effected, while the vast majority of happy users are the silent majority. But, again, the company believes the product they produce is being improved, and knows that if customers disagree they will leave--the power of the market. Obviously, they are seeing the opposite in sales/profit or they would not continue down the path they are on. Sure, there are times when cost cutting means a product is reduced in quality, but if the market doesn't like it profits will go down and the company will either improve the product or go out of business. In any case, as I stated, it is just email, move on to something else if FM is not right for you. I don't use them because the price/value isn't there for me, but from all indications they have many happy customers.
Old 26 Feb 2017, 03:56 PM   #281
edu

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Bottom line is if you don't like the available FM interface just move on to another service--easy peasy. I don't understand all the hand wringing. Companies change products all the time for a multitude of reasons, many of which will never be known to most of us. It's just email! Find another service provider to your liking.
It's not so easy if you are using an email with many people for many years and you must contact all of them (many even you can forget or contact from time to time) to tell them about the change and the new email. If it happened to you sometime then you will know. And maybe you already paid some years in this email service. So the changes can affect you.
edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2017, 04:20 PM   #282
curmudgeon

I'm outta here after June (been with Fastmail since 2002, too).

I simply can't stand working with the default interface (the worst is its tendency to grab my keyboard shortcuts for some user-unfriendly purpose - which is true of so many sites that require javascript).
curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2017, 10:14 PM   #283
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
If it happened to you sometime then you will know.
Actually, I had an FM address before I had a Gmail address! What I did to migrate away from FM was to maintain the account for an additional year or so (at the lowest possible price level) so I could use it for forwarding email to my new address. I then added a note in front of my signature something like: NOTE: New email address. I then deliberately changed the address on major accounts as I used them. In other words, when I paid a bill or checked my bank balance I would change my email address. If you use Gmail it is very easy to apply a label to all incoming email that arrives from your old address and then you can notify individuals about the change in your reply. If you have something like a LinkedIn or Facebook profile people will always be able to reach you through those avenues, or other associations you are part of. In fact, it is so much easier to change email addresses than it used to be to change street addresses or phone numbers. In the "old days" you would lose touch with many people after the Post Office stopped forwarding your mail. Today, you get contacted by people you haven't heard from in decades because they decided to look you up on Facebook or LinkedIn.
Old 26 Feb 2017, 10:22 PM   #284
Gsptlsnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeon View Post
I'm outta here after June (been with Fastmail since 2002, too).

I simply can't stand working with the default interface (the worst is its tendency to grab my keyboard shortcuts for some user-unfriendly purpose - which is true of so many sites that require javascript).
The new interface is awful. It would help if we could change the colors like we can with the old system.
Gsptlsnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2017, 10:32 PM   #285
TenFour
Master of the @

I haven't seen the new interface on FM, but IMHO every interface appears to be inferior to what you are used to. I have read of many people who hate Gmail, or hate Outlook.com, or who hate whatever when they try a new email service. Email is one of those things that you do every day and frequently so you quickly get very used to whatever interface you happen to be using, and when something changes it can seem unpleasant at first. Unfortunately, UI development seems to be far down the list of things most software providers put effort into. Personally, I don't think you could make Facebook's UI any worse than it is, yet look at the billions of people who use it happily every day.