EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Google Gmail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Google Gmail Forum Discussions related to Google's Gmail service should go here: suggestions, tips, comments, requests for help, tech issues etc.

Old 26 Apr 2005, 06:34 AM   #1
oysterquartz
The "e" in e-mail

Opera Browser Users ... your Gmail experience?

Any issues I should be aware about in using Opera with Gmail.

I'm using Opera 8 with WinXP. Just purchased the browser to support the fine folks at Opera but I'd like to use it exclusively if possible (Firefox is my current default).

Any issues in reading or composing? Rich Text supported? Any workarounds?

Thanks
oysterquartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26 Apr 2005, 08:55 AM   #2
Javier
Master of the @

I am not an Opera user (mainly because of these problems) but some days ago I downloaded Opera 8, curious about the GMail compatibility displayed in the features page.

My experience, as I stated in another thread at another forum (http://emailaddresses.com/forum/show...threadid=34818) is bad, because I did not find Opera very much compatible. I have not been able to use rich text composition with GMail and I have found also problems with FastMail.FM (this is the reason of the original posting of the thread referred) and with Yahoo! Mail.
Javier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2005, 09:01 AM   #3
ReuvenNY

I noticed that you have to identify the browser as Opera and not the default IE.
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2005, 10:08 AM   #4
psalzer

Opera 8 works fine with Gmail, but no rich text editing if you care about that.
psalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2005, 11:58 AM   #5
oysterquartz
The "e" in e-mail

I'm identifying Opera 8 as IE and it seems to work OK. No rich text composition though ... why not? It works well with Firefox.
Old 26 Apr 2005, 12:07 PM   #6
ReuvenNY

Try my suggestion above (Opera, not IE). See if it works better for you.
Old 26 Apr 2005, 12:18 PM   #7
oysterquartz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by ReuvenNY
Try my suggestion above (Opera, not IE). See if it works better for you.
Are you saying that you get Rich Text composition in Gmail if you identify it as Opera?
Old 26 Apr 2005, 12:22 PM   #8
ReuvenNY

Sorry, no rich text
Old 27 Apr 2005, 09:29 PM   #9
oysterquartz
The "e" in e-mail

Gmail, HTML and Opera 8

I had Opera 8 crash last night in an attempt to view an email rendered in HTML. Bascially a cut and paste of a web page which was sent to my gmail account.

No problems in Gmail via Firefox or IE (or in other accounts through Opera).

Anyone else having these issues?
Old 29 Apr 2005, 10:46 AM   #10
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

I've had the same problems. I was hoping that maybe this would be different with Opera 8 but, alas, it isn't. That's been one of my gripes with using Opera, as well as site-compatibility issues.
rmns2bseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Apr 2005, 05:42 PM   #11
adam15c
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by rmns2bseen
I've had the same problems. I was hoping that maybe this would be different with Opera 8 but, alas, it isn't. That's been one of my gripes with using Opera, as well as site-compatibility issues.
Opera's stand point on email is currently that email should remain plain text. Whether this is right or wrong the debate rages on, even on the Opera forums. My personal opinion is that I would like the option of using rich text rather than html in my email.

With regard to site compatibility issues. Opera is a standards compliance browser. You cannot blame the browser if web designers do not design to standards or they "sniff" out Opera and send it a different page. This can of course be frustrating when visiting a page that doesn't work correctly. I use Opera 99% of the time, the benefits of this browser far out-way the problems accessing a few sites. Furthermore they have listened to their users and introduced "workarounds" for some of the browser sniffing websites to actually hide Opera's identity to allow viewing of these websites.
adam15c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2005, 05:47 AM   #12
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by kobukan

With regard to site compatibility issues. Opera is a standards compliance browser. You cannot blame the browser if web designers do not design to standards or they "sniff" out Opera and send it a different page.
You're quite right about that...as if IE and Mozilla products are the only things that anyone ever uses I've liked alot ot things about Opera ever since 6.x and have downloaded and use version 8 occasionally (I still use the seamonkey mainly though). I didn't mean the site-compatibility gripe to be a knock against Opera itself.

Last edited by rmns2bseen : 30 Apr 2005 at 05:53 AM.
Old 2 May 2005, 12:44 AM   #13
sardonyx

Quote:
Originally posted by oysterquartz
Gmail, HTML and Opera 8

I had Opera 8 crash last night in an attempt to view an email rendered in HTML. Bascially a cut and paste of a web page which was sent to my gmail account.

No problems in Gmail via Firefox or IE (or in other accounts through Opera).

Anyone else having these issues?
I'm using Opera 8, Win XP, and my HTML newsletters have no problem showing up in my Gmail account...
sardonyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2005, 11:24 AM   #14
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

it's the HTML editing that's lacking...but it isn't such a great loss to me anyway as I use plain text just about all the time. It's just nice to have that option I guess
Old 3 May 2005, 09:11 PM   #15
oysterquartz
The "e" in e-mail

Any issues in attempting to print a Gmail email using Opera. Tried it yesterday and I got completely blank pages. Firefox worked fine. I "Identify as Opera" in Gmail. Anyone else having this problem?