EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 21 Jul 2018, 11:04 PM   #1
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Life before Google: What was it like?

In the 20 years since it was founded, Google has provided answers to the most random queries, become a verb and, on Wednesday, received a record $5bn fine after giving itself a bit too much of an edge over its rivals.

Some jobs with an emphasis on research have been altered in major ways by its invention, to the extent that it's hard to imagine how those jobs were once done.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-44871028
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 8 Sep 2018, 03:48 PM   #2
RaymondClaypool

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
In the 20 years since it was founded, Google has provided answers to my why do i become a verb and, on Wednesday, received a record $5bn fine after giving itself a bit too much of an edge over its rivals.

Some jobs with an emphasis on research have been phenq from GNC altered in major ways by its invention, to the extent that it's hard to imagine how those jobs were once done.
I remember using Yahoo, AltaVista and Ask Jeeves. Also, there was WebCrawler, which I believe is still alive.

Last edited by RaymondClaypool : 24 Oct 2023 at 03:59 AM.
RaymondClaypool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Sep 2018, 10:37 PM   #3
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/88/1b/1d/8...41f29b8071.jpg

- Bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Sep 2018, 03:41 AM   #4
Gankaku

Before the internet, it was encyclopedias and much library research.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Sep 2018, 05:45 AM   #5
TenFour
Master of the @

There were lots of ways to search for things well before Google existed. I used to amaze people by how fast I could find obscure stuff using Apple's Sherlock, starting around 1997 or so I think. Prior to that I was accessing government records and such using the Internet before the World Wide Web existed. I created several printed books that were best sellers in their obscure niche based on my accessing this stuff using the Internet before most people even knew what it was. Google was/is really good at searching, but it has cemented its dominance by creating an entire ecosystem of services like Gmail, Google Drive, Google Photos, etc.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2022, 08:46 PM   #6
TroyWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondClaypoosl View Post
I remember using Yahoo, AltaVista and Ask Jeeves but when i searched and found this webpage regarding best otc weight loss pills. Also, there was WebCrawler, which I believe is still alive.
Libraries were more popular, research articles were more original, the world was somewhat disconnected, recommendations were made by only people

Last edited by TroyWhite : 20 Jul 2023 at 03:30 AM.
TroyWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2022, 04:58 AM   #7
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

I remember around 1980 when I was in high school and we needed to write an essay about something from World War 2, I took the bus to Tel Aviv to a library that kept an archive of newspapers from back then and looked for information there.

Lat week I found some phone-books in my basement (thought they were not from pre-Google era. They were from 2012, not so long ago).
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote