EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 30 Nov 2018, 02:45 PM   #1
noclue
Cornerstone of the Community

App issues

I know I am going to feel really stupid when I get an answer to this question, but here goes: Where the heck is my list of contacts? I need to edit one of them, and I cannot figure out where it is. I have no issues with webmail; I know where to find my contacts there. But the app is baffling me. Everything is so well hidden.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 1 Dec 2018, 03:00 AM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

In the upper left you should see a big button which says “Mail”. Click it and you can access these additional features:
  • Contacts
  • Files
  • Notes
  • Calendar
  • Settings
  • Help
  • Several other features
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Dec 2018, 04:07 AM   #3
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Not sure if you're using Android or iPhone, but for Android, there isn't a "Mail" link. You click the < in the top left corner.

See image here.
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Dec 2018, 05:53 AM   #4
noclue

I am using the Apple on an iPad Pro. Nothing anywhere says “Mail.” I see that on the webmail, but not on the app. When I open my fastmail on the iPad, it goes directly to my inbox. On the right are icons, and on the left is “mailboxes.” Nothing about contacts.

I’m sorry, but I can’t open sflorak’s link.
Old 1 Dec 2018, 12:13 PM   #5
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Are you using the Apple "Mail" app or the Fastmail app?

The Fastmail app icon looks like this:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fast...ts/id931370077
The icon you use to start the Fastmail app looks like the big icon on that page (the envelope with a yellow wave). If you don't see Mail in the upper left corner, touch the left arrow in the upper left. Once you see Mail you touch it to see the menus I listed below (including Contacts).

Fastmail is changing their iOS app to a new user interface (which is now in beta). With the new app you will see Mail / Contacts / Calendar / Notes / ... More at the bottom of the screen (instead of the Mail button in the upper left used by the old iOS app).

The Apple Mail app icon looks like this:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/52/Mail_iOS.svg/1024px-Mail_iOS.svg.png
If you are using the Apple Mail app, you will need to use the separate iOS "Contacts" app to edit your contacts. The Contacts icon looks like this:
https://www.briomedia.co.uk/wp-conte...-1032x1031.png

Bill

Last edited by n5bb : 1 Dec 2018 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Added comment about new iOS app appearance and Apple Contacts app
Old 1 Dec 2018, 04:20 PM   #6
noclue

Thank you, Bill. I know all of those icons. I am accessing my mail via the royal blue envelope, not the FastMail icon. That's how my Apple lady set it up. She groused the whole time, but I told her I would NOT give up my FastMail for an iCloud address. The app opens up just like the webmail page. The actual mail looks exactly the same, but the surrounding icons do not. I guess I am screwed as I appear to have a hybrid which doesn't let me access my contacts.
Old 1 Dec 2018, 08:27 PM   #7
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue View Post
Thank you, Bill. I know all of those icons. I am accessing my mail via the royal blue envelope, not the FastMail icon.
So you need to look for your Contacts app (see icon in my earlier post).
Old 2 Dec 2018, 06:21 AM   #8
noclue

I think the problem is that I do not use my ipad for phone calls; I use my actual phone for phone calls. Therefore, I have no “contact” icon anywhere on my iPad which is where I receive my email.

I know the phone and iPad are “married” for my photos. A photo taken on my phone will end up on my iPad. If I edit contacts on my phone, will they be edited on my FM email on my iPad? There is no FastMail on the phone.
Old 2 Dec 2018, 06:59 AM   #9
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
Fastmail is changing their iOS app to a new user interface (which is now in beta). With the new app you will see Mail / Contacts / Calendar / Notes / ... More at the bottom of the screen (instead of the Mail button in the upper left used by the old iOS app).
Off topic: screenshots, Bill?
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2018, 03:24 PM   #10
noclue

I think news of the beta is just what I needed to hear. There is hope that this will address my issue! I an't access contacts with the current app, so that's something to look forward to.
Old 3 Dec 2018, 09:12 AM   #11
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow New Fastmail mobile JMAP app version

I recommend you go to the App Store (icon on your iPad) and search for Fastmail. Then choose the app with the yellow curved ribbon in the icon. You can use your regular web login password.

The Fastmail app is what I thought you originally were asking about. It provides access to your mail, contacts, calendar, notes, and files (same as the web login). The Fastmail app for iOS has been available since 2014. The new version of the app seems to now be out of beta and available for everyone, but the help doesn’t seem to have been updated yet. The recent changes are on the server, so no changes to the app you download from the App Store are needed. The major differences in this new version include:
  • The big Mail button in the upper left now only has two features: Help and Log out. The other features are now using the feature selection buttons at the bottom of the screen.
  • The top bar now has these features:
    • On small screens, left and right arrows < > control viewing either the folder tree or the messages in the current folder.
    • The current folder name (and number of unread messages in parentheses) is shown in the center at the top.
    • A new icon (horizontal lines inside a circle) controls the View (All Mail, Unread, or Pinned) and Sort (newest first, oldest first, by sender, by subject, by size) and pinned viewing choices (keep pinned on top or sort pinned with the rest).
    • The message compose icon (pencil inside a square] is in the upper right corner of the display.
  • Message selection boxes (actually circles) are always visible at the left adjacent to each message. Once you select at least one message, the top bar changes to show the following:
    • X to remove all message selections.
    • The number of selected messages.
    • Select All to select all messages in that folder.
  • The Search mail tool is always available above the message listing. Selecting the field allows additional selection of the Advanced search... features.
  • Many features are now at the bottom of the screen. On large screens (large iPad, for example) all of these are always shown. On smaller screens the message options are only shown when a message is opened for reading or at least one message is selected.
    • Feature selection buttons at the bottom: Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Notes, and More... (which provides Undo/Redo, Files, and Settings).
    • Message option buttons at the bottom: Report Spam, Delete, Archive, Move To, and More... (which provides Mark as Read, Mark as Unread, Pin, Unpin, and Forward as Attachment).
I think this is a great improvement to the Fastmail mobile app.

Bill
Old 3 Dec 2018, 03:50 PM   #12
noclue

Thank you, Bill. You always pull through! I'll give the updated app a go and see what happens.
Old 3 Dec 2018, 06:11 PM   #13
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Bill would that need an application password from Fastmail.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Dec 2018, 06:15 PM   #14
noclue

My Apple lady has wrestled with those endless passwords in setting up the “hybrid” mail app I am using now. When beta is perfected, I’ll ask her to help me. Thanks, Terry.

I need to make any vestige of Apple mail disappear on my tablet and PC.
Old 3 Dec 2018, 08:42 PM   #15
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

As I said, you do NOT use an application password with the Fastmail app! This is from the Fastmail help:

Why don't I need an app password for the FastMail app?
An app password cannot be used to log in on the web or the FastMail app.

Unlike 3rd party apps, our own app does not need to save your password. After you successfully log in, the server sends our app a long random token (much like an app password!) which it then uses to authenticate you from then on. This gives you all the same benefits of an app password, without the inconvenience of having to generate it in advance.

Our app supports two-step verification, which is the best way of keeping your account secure. If you enable this, then even a key logger would not be sufficient to gain access to your account, since the second factor is different each time.

If you lose your phone, you can remotely log out the app in the Logged In Sessions section of the Settings → Password & Security screen.

Bill