EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

View Poll Results: Is it spam?
Yes 15 93.75%
No 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10 Jan 2016, 12:13 AM   #1
xweque

Smile Is this spam?

So I run a dedicated server with a number of clients on. We provide them with email and web hosting and manage their website(s).

Today one of them approached us asking us to create a mail design. Instinctively I asked what it was for and it turns out they are planning on advertising through email. These are not emails for users, they are for potential new costumers. They will however only be targeting companies that they find could be in need of their services, as an example a farmer contacting a market or a paper producer contacting a book publishing company.

All emails are personalized and don't come from a email list, all companies they want to contact has been found by looking at certain properties of their company.

Would this be considered spam? Please elaborate on your answers
xweque is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10 Jan 2016, 02:08 AM   #2
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Considered by whom?

Personally, when I receive a single email with some sort of unsolicited "special offer", I consider it spam, but if its a one-off, I can't be bothered to do anything.

Consider, however, a possibility that by sending a large number of messages of this type your service may get marked as a spamming site and blacklisted..
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2016, 02:09 AM   #3
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

I would suggest a poll here on the forum, with 2 choices:

Is this SPAM - YES
Is this SPAM - NO

That would give you an overview of what the forum members think.

Some may wish to elaborate and answer in depth.

But, bear in mind, the targets of the unsolicited e-mails may give different responses.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2016, 04:17 AM   #4
jarland
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
MXRoute.com
I would say yes, unsolicited marketed email is what I would consider to be spam.
jarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2016, 04:54 AM   #5
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I agree with the general definition for spam given here:
https://www.spamhaus.org/consumer/definition/

In the US there are legal prohibitions to sending spam, so you should examine the FTC rules:
https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/busi...guide-business

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2016, 07:41 AM   #6
buyog

If they will target companies then I would not consider it as spam but who knows they could be desperate about their business/ ads and would cross the line.

It is a risk on your part especially if you have other clients using the same mail/smtp servers.
buyog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2016, 08:07 AM   #7
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

The anti-spamming laws don't differentiate between individuals or companies receiving spam.
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2016, 12:49 PM   #8
kijinbear
Cornerstone of the Community

As n5bb's link above says, spam is unsolicited bulk email.

Either condition alone does not suffice. Both conditions must be met. Your client's emails are clearly unsolicited, so the first condition is met. The question, then, would be whether they are "bulk".

"Bulk" means sending substantially similar content to multiple recipients. The content doesn't need to be 100% identical. Merely personalizing the recipient's name and address is not enough.

So I would say Yes, it is spam, unless your client is planning to type each letter individually and customize the offering for each recipient. And even if they did, the recipients probably wouldn't know, so they would still consider it spam.

Reaching out to potential customers via email is basically dead as a business model. The only kind of mass email that most people tolerate nowadays are those that are sent to existing customers, and even that is becoming increasingly dubious.
kijinbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2016, 05:45 PM   #9
Bamb0
Master of the @

Yes nothing I hate more!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb
I agree with the general definition for spam given here:
https://www.spamhaus.org/consumer/definition/
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2016, 04:46 PM   #10
Just Bill