EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 22 Jan 2018, 04:26 PM   #1
jason1325

Do you know mailnesia?

accidentally discovered that @mailnesia is very convenient, no need to verify anything. Just remember your username, but do not know if it lasts long.
jason1325 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 23 Jan 2018, 12:38 AM   #2
jdtaylor
Master of the @

Interesting, very close to a Italian food name Milanese so don't get the two muddled.
jdtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Feb 2018, 03:53 AM   #3
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Reminds me more of Micronesia (the island nation) than Italian food. I like the domain.

However, how do you not need to verify anything and only have to remember your username? What about password to log in?

Also, how long has this provider been around? Are they backed by any financially manageable person or organisation?
I hope this won't be the next short lived service, and that they'll prove that surviving is still possible when your name is not Microsoft, Yahoo, Google etc
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Feb 2018, 06:48 AM   #4
TenFour
Master of the @

Mailnesia sounds like a disease I don't want to have. Think they need a better name.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Feb 2018, 11:46 AM   #5
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

All of these questions are answered at the Mailnesia website:
http://mailnesia.com/
A few points:
  • The service is currently free. It is run by one individual who was going to close the service on Jan 10, 2018. But they moved to a new server and kept it going. Read about this here:
    http://blog.mailnesia.com/
  • The basic feature allows you to pick any address @mailnesia.com and start receiving messages at that address. Unfortunately, since there are no security features anyone else can also read those messages. They just need to know the mailnesia address you are using.
    • So if you tell anyone (or any service) to send you messages at your mailnesia address, anyone who knows the email address you used can read email from anyone sending to that address.
    • Mailesia even has a random link that lets you read random accounts.
  • To prevent anyone knowing your mailnesia address from reading other messages sent to that mailbox, you can assign one or more aliases to a main mailnesia account.
    • Nobody can log into an alias address to read emails.
    • But all messages send to an alias are transferred to the parent account, where they can be read.
    • If you are using an alias, nobody can read your email unless they guess your main account address.
  • There is no fixed storage time for emails. Currently messages are deleted after 8 days 11 hours. But this storage time can change at any time.
  • Messages larger than 500 kB are rejected.
  • I don't think there is a limit to the number of messages in the single Inbox folder, since they are all discarded in around a week.
  • There are no email sending features. You can only receive email.
  • Again, the only way to prevent others from reading your mail is to use a main address which is long and random (so very hard to guess) and also use an alias. Addresses can be up to 30 characters in length. Only give out the alias.
  • I see no promises of continued operation of this service. It nearly shut down a month ago. If you set up a mailbox and alias I'm not sure if they will be usable in a year. The messages will all be gone in about a week after reception.
Bill (and I am not the user or users, since anyone can use any address, of bill @ mailnesia.com!)
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Feb 2018, 07:39 PM   #6
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

All in all this looks like a site functionally similar to mailinator.com (" for when you don't want to get spammed at your real email address"), which also is read-only & offers no privacy.

But mailinator has been around for donkey's years....
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2018, 10:13 PM   #7
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
If you want an email address to sign up to forums, social media etc for, better create a separate email account or even an email address existing for just 24 hours or so; guerillamail.com does a good job in that (and even allows for sending mails or responding to mails, if I remember well). An email address everyone can access doesn't make any sense. Even if you use it purely for signing up to sites, do you want other people to just be able to access your Twitter/MeetUp.com/Tinder/BigSoccer.com/LinkedIn/DeviantArt/whatever account simply by clicking "forgot password" and then go to your Mailnesia account?!

I wouldn't touch this service with a long stick, since the very idea of a service not even trying to be private contradicts with the very point of using email.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote