EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 21 Jun 2003, 03:49 AM   #1
leisuresuitlary

Thumbs up Give Me Your Best!

Straw poll:

What is the piece of software that you could not live without and why? (not the obvious choices like Win XP as without it my PC wouldn't load!!!!!)

So give me your best shot.

I'll start by saying
Ghostscript (useful for making pdf if youve not got Acrobat)
SnagIt (good for getting images from files with image extraction security protocols)

Larry
leisuresuitlary is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 21 Jun 2003, 04:19 AM   #2
Drencrom
Master of the @

Opera - Fastest browser
TheBat! - Fastest email client
Norton Utilities - Useful tools
Kaspersky - Best antivirus
&RQ - Something instead ICQ
FlashGet - A pleasure to download
Drencrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2003, 05:28 AM   #3
David
Ultimate Contributor

TextEdit (Mac) or Notepad (Windows) You have to have a basic text editor to create and edit scripts.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2003, 05:56 AM   #4
mammaduck
Cornerstone of the Community

Openoffice - it's free and I prefer it over MS Works or Office
AVG anti-virus - it's free and so far kept my PC safe from viruses
Spywareblaster - it's free and keeps me safe from "drive-by" spyware/browser hijackers.
Spybot - it's free and keeps my PC clean from spyware
Irfanview - guess what?? It's free and easy to work with since I am not a genius with picture editing and resizing.

Hanneke
mammaduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2003, 07:07 AM   #5
odedp
Master of the @

Macro Express - Outstanding automation tool
odedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2003, 07:35 AM   #6
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by David
TextEdit (Mac) or Notepad (Windows) You have to have a basic text editor to create and edit scripts.
Editpad is a much better basic text editor than Windows Notepad. Notepad doesn't even have a toolbar with cut and paste buttons!
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2003, 07:42 AM   #7
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Frankly, I can live without a computer, and I can live with a computer that doesn't have any of my favourite software. Since my old desktop "died" I've been using my new PC "as-is", i.e. without installing any software. (I even use the windows n\Notepad as text editor).

Two exceptions, i.e., two pieces of software I did install:

1. NetSwitcher: to change and also to save and reload network configuration without digging through the Windows control panel (and needlessly inserting the Windows CD when it isn't needed, and needlessly rebooting etc.)

2. FastCheck: to instantly know when new email arrives at FastMail.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2003, 07:44 AM   #8
anj
Master of the @

#1 Powermarks. This program for bookmarks has stayed with me through 3 machines and 5 web browsers. Its keyword system makes it a snap to file & find my web bookmarks. It is not free but I use it everyday and it makes my life online a lot easier.

#2. Irfan viewer. I don't use this everyday, but it is a must have for ameteur digital photographers and web designers. I use it for resizing our snapshots for webpages. It also has great compression and cuts the jpg file sizes in half, even when you don't change the image size. For those of us who do not need an expensive graphics program, this is the best.

#3 Opera browser. I also don't use this everyday, but I have used it for years. I prefer it for all research intensive tasks where I have multiple browser windows. It is faster, more stable, and allows more control (e.g., turn off images, levels of pop-up blocking), than any other browser I have tried. It also allows you to save a the configuration of windows you currently have open in a file, for returning to later -- again perfect for research. Right now I have a session saved, in my search for a suitable web host.
anj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2003, 09:22 AM   #9
kander
The "e" in e-mail

1) Opera, the browser of choice.
2) Crimson Editor, a simple texteditor which does a great job when writing scripts.
3) Python 2.2.2 Only started using it today, but programming in Python is something I already know I'm going to enjoy for a long time.

Possibly 4: Windows XP, not because my PC won't boot without it (it would, I also have Knoppix ready on CD, and a fall-back windows installation on another harddisk which I can plug in when needed) but because of the way it's changed my experience of the Windows OS, it's become part of many daily activities such as resizing images and stuff like that.

Ack, how could I forget FastCheck?? I am sure I'd survive without it, but life sure has become easier because of it! Many thanks, Eric!

--K
kander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2003, 11:01 AM   #10
Gankaku

TexNotes - holds all my notes, articles, web stuff, addresses, images, everything.

DigiGuide for my tv reminders. I don't watch tv much but I do want reminders for particular things that I like to watch/tape.

Irfan View - I love the thumbnail view of the tons of images I have in my graphics directory. Makes it easy to see what's where.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2003, 08:41 PM   #11
gpdoyon

It goes without saying that I couldn't live without my computer, and especially e-mail. So:

Mulberry : The best overall e-mail software I've ever used. The Bat would be better if it REALLY did IMAP well.

Magellen Explorer : The best Windows Explorer (file manager) replacement I've ever had the pleasure to use. It's great for FTP'ing as well.

Unreal Tournament : A great stress reliever for me. One of the best games I've ever played and the one that has stayed on my PC the longest.

Avant Browser : The best browser (or browser shell) that I have ever used, including Opera, which IMHO is getting bloated.

Paint Shop Pro : The best photo and graphics editing package that most mere mortals can afford to pay for.

- Gerry

Last edited by gpdoyon : 22 Jun 2003 at 05:19 AM.
gpdoyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2003, 03:02 AM   #12
ivec
Essential Contributor

The only piece of software that I couldn't live without is Total Commander.
ivec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2003, 07:27 AM   #13
Drencrom
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by gpdoyon

Avant Browser : The best browser (or browser shell) that I have ever used, including Opera, which IMHO is getting bloated.

- Gerry
Dear Gerry, thanx, this Avant Browser is just great! Do you happen to know how to import Opera bookmarks into it and whether that is possible? I get "Not a valid bookmark file" all the time when trying to do this.
Drencrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2003, 08:00 PM   #14
leisuresuitlary

Opera

Having heard a good deal about Opera from other theads and seen that is has come up here more than once I decided to download it.

Clearly i have not had much time to evaluate it but there is one thing which I immediately dont like and will probably cause me not to use it in the future. Far too much space is taken up by menus lists etc leaving the actual info window - what i really want to see a comaritively tiny thing which it is simply too small.

Sorry if this is an heratical statement but I want a browser that shows me the subject of what I am browsing all the time and does not clog up the srceen with fancy boxes no matter how useful the contents may be.

Larry

Last edited by leisuresuitlary : 22 Jun 2003 at 08:31 PM.
leisuresuitlary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2003, 08:38 PM   #15
JeffK

leisuresuitlary,

FWIW pressing F11 appears to remove all except the actual browser window contents. Presumably one can then use keyboard shortcuts to navigate if you want to. For other similar browsers I have been a fan of MyIE and Smartbrowser also is good.

Regards, Jeff
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote