EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 2 Sep 2018, 12:30 AM   #1
tyler4402

My pw is always rejected

Hi all
I am now at my wits end after hours and hours of juggling about with my email settings and getting no result.
I use Thunderbird as a platform for my two email addresses and in the last 5 yrs or so I have never had the Sky address working properly, my latest attempt to make the sky address work has resulted in the google account refusing to work as well, and now I cannot send or receive from either account's.

I have checked and rechecked the server settings and tried both imap and pop settings and their respective port numbers to no avail, I have also turned on both imap and pop in the google mail app, and before I send/ receive mail I am now asked for a password, the frustrating thing is I have tried the pw that I have saved for the account and every pw that I have saved and nothing works.
In my frustration, I deleted the Sky account, and each time I try to make a new Sky account it states that the “Configuration could not be verified, Username or Password” is wrong ( so again the new pw I just made and entered was rejected) as was all the others I have tried
I do not know what to try next and any pointer will be most welcome. Regards Robert
tyler4402 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 2 Sep 2018, 02:55 AM   #2
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Are you using Thunderbird on one computer only, and do not access your e-mails any other way, apart from via webmail?

My initial thought is that there is a problem with your Thunderbird settings.

I myself would test by trying an alternative client or by using a Thunderbird PORTABLE set up, installed in a separate folder or usb drive.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Sep 2018, 03:39 AM   #3
tyler4402

Hi Fred
thanks for your reply, yes I only have a desktop pc and I access my email through Thunderbird and in fact I would get rid of Thunderbird if I could manage to set something else up which allowed 3 addresses to be used, actually I have tried a few times but I never seem to be able to get email platforms working.

By webmail I presume you mean by clicking on google chrome and going to Mail? which I can do but I would rather have all my mail accounts on one platform, but I can get the Sky mails and gmails by logging into them separately if I need to.

Sorry I wouldn't know how to run an email prog from a widgit, regards Robert.
Old 2 Sep 2018, 05:04 PM   #4
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

When you save a password, are you doing that by copy&paste from somewhere, or are you retyping what you (think you) typed earlier?

Do you have the same problem with passwords on other websites?

Dos the service concerned have a "forgotten password" option which will email a new password, or reset-code, to you?

You also mention a "password cannot be verified" problem; that might mean that after you've signed-up for something the service has sent you an email telling you to do something... to confirm that the email address really is YOU. Maybe you either haven't received those emails, or you haven't done the action they request? That would mean that the account was never properly setup.

Alternatively some services (eg recently the Scottish Government) send emails with password reset information in them, but only send the info in html (ie they do not send a plain text part of the email as well). I was viewing them 'in plain text'. Apparently the webmail system I was using was presenting some of the information it had automatically extracted from the HTML version of the mail, in upper-case (as an alternative to making it bold). Unfortunately that meant the mixed-case passwords in the 'you forgot your password, here's a new one" emails never shown to be all in capitals, and when I entered them on the website they were always rejected. It took a long time to resolve that because the helpdesk people simply assumed I was an idiot incapable of using the new password they kept sending. It was only when one of them actually believed what I'd told them that they found out what was happening, and fixed it.

Increasingly often companies either don't send plain text at all, or if they do, at some point they change something in the html part of the mail and forget to make the same change in the plain text part. Both parts are meant to contain the same message, but you can't rely on it.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Sep 2018, 07:32 PM   #5
tyler4402

Hi Fred, thanks for your help, on registering with a site I do make a pw and then write it down and save it to a dedicated folder saved to another HDD, and yes I do confirm using the link they send, I have found that lately some long used pw’s have been rejected on sites like google so I make another and I might not use that site for months but the next time I login the pw will be rejected and I have to click “forgotten password” again and make a new one, my pw's are all different as I never use the same pw again.

The “cannot be verified” message came after I had zapped the Sky account in frustration!! and I had made a new account using the correct parameters and a new pw, after that new pw was rejected I tried the old one, and all others I had for Sky, none worked.

I have just logged into gmail from chrome browser and a banner was displayed so I clicked it and this massage showed >

from other accounts:
Learn more
robert.bev@sky.com (POP3)
edit info
delete
Authentication error. Mail from this account has not been retrieved since 19/01/2017.**View details

I make my pw’s from letters and numbers like so... r0byl04ke5... I also use the free Dashlane pw manager, although I don’t let it make pw’s for me I make my own then write them in my dedicated folder and then let Dashlane save it, at first some saved pw's were also were rejected until I figured out that I could only use 16 digits with the free version, so if I made a 20 digit pw it saved 16 which were rejected the next time that Dashlane entered the pw.
Hope I am not confusing you, sorry, regards Robert
Old 3 Sep 2018, 02:56 AM   #6
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Something I do on some sites if I want to be sure that a registration has worked and that the password value I 'wrote' down (by which I mean typed) is correct is log out (if the registration process left me logged-in) and try immediately to log on again with what I think the userid and password are.

When you say "I have found that lately some long used pw’s have been rejected" did you mean long-UNused?

If you're regularly using sites which reject you if you haven't used them for ages, maybe you need a reminder program so that you do login once every month or two, just to show you're still one of their users.

I don't use gmail so I've no idea if they suspend long-unused accounts, but I don't think it's unreasonable that they might warn you if you try to login more than 18 months after last using the account. From their point of view it must be quite unlikely that you're you... more likely that someone else is trying to use your account. In fact, I'm surprised they still think it IS your account.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Sep 2018, 10:26 AM   #7
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Have you followed the instructions in this post?
https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Email/U...2866944#M64271

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Sep 2018, 08:00 PM   #8
tyler4402

Hi again. thanks for the info, yes I do test a new pw after registration, and yes some sites I register with are unused for many months sometimes over 12 months, and yes I could do with a reminder prog it's a good idea, I didn't know there was such a thing.
I have opened the link you kindly sent and followed the instructions as far as opening the server settings in order to put in the generated pw, unfortunately there is no obvious box for a pw in the server settings, if I click the advanced button there is nothing at all entered in the Advanced Server Settings box, and back in the Server Settings on clicking the Brows button opens the Local Directory which shows a list of imap folders namly... imap.gmail.com, imap.mail.yahoo.com and next imap.tools.sky.com-1 through to, imap.tools.sky.com-9 so I am still flumaxed regards Robert
Old 5 Sep 2018, 01:16 AM   #9
tyler4402

Update, I have tried the sky forum link you sent and I tried the recommended process but after generating a pw there was no box in the sky Server Settings or in the gmail Accounts to paste the generated pw into, so still no progress yet, regards Robert
Old 7 Sep 2018, 04:34 PM   #10
tyler4402

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
Have you followed the instructions in this post?
https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Email/U...2866944#M64271

Bill
Sorry for the late response, yes I tried the link you kindly sent I tried for many hours but I can't find anywhere to paste the generated pw, I'm not sure where to paste it because in thunderbird there is nowhere to put a pw, my pc runs windows7 so to generate a pw in the box I select "windows computer" but I'm stuck from there, I can't figure out where to paste it, the video shows the pw is pasted through Outlook 2018 which I have only just downloaded and all the info online is for earlier versions so I can't get that to work either as I imported the address book but only the names came and no addresses, so still struggling, regards Robert

Last edited by tyler4402 : 7 Sep 2018 at 05:08 PM.
Old 8 Sep 2018, 03:15 AM   #11
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

A web search for “Thunderbird password” produces this information on how to change your password:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...lete-change-tb
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Sep 2018, 02:14 AM   #12
tyler4402

Hi again thanks for the info, I have been at it for 7 hrs today with no results, I have made new account pw's for both the google and sky accounts several times, and I did get a load of emails into both accounts at one time but neither will send mail to or from the thunderbird platform.
I have followed the links and generated new security pw's but I still can't find anywhere in the "Saved Passwords" to paste them, and whatever I try I still get the "Outgoing Server smtp password required" I think I will uninstall Thunderbird tomorrow and try to get Outlook 2018 working,, regards Robert
Old 10 Sep 2018, 01:01 PM   #13
emoore
Essential Contributor

There is a bug in Thunderbird where if a hard connection error occurs the perfectly good password (and any password you enter when prompted) fails. The workaround is to delete the saved password using tools -> options --> security -> passwords -> saved passwords, exit (since the deleted password is still in memory), and restart.

A gmail IMAP account can use either a password or a OAuth2 token as the authentication method. Configuring OAuth2 is usually easier to troubleshoot as you mainly need to worry just about clicking on "Settings -> Forwarding and POP/IMAP ->Enable IMAP" in the Gmail webmail's settings, and checking that cookies are enabled for google.com in Thunderbird. Cookies are normally enabled by default (Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> Accept cookies from web site is checked, and "Keep until" is set to "until they expire").

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Gmail

By Sky do you mean Sky Yahoo? According to https://www.sky.com/help/articles/ge...sky-yahoo-mail it requires you to create a app password.and use it instead of the normal password in Thunderbird. That is very similar to using a Gmail account with Two step verification enabled (it too requires you to use a app password in a email client instead of your accounts password)
emoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Sep 2018, 06:50 PM   #14
tyler4402

Hi, many thanks for your advice, I thought that there must be a bug or something as T/B has never worked properly although its easy to use, I got so frustrate and downloaded Outlook 365 but I was getting the same server login error messages as I was with T/Bird so I uninstalled it, funny though Revo uninstalled Outlook but Outlook 365 is still there and is usable but I can't find it in the add/remove programs or in Revo's list, but a version of outlook which looks better than the 365 version shows in a sub file in prog files x86 of M'soft office.
Pity they gave up with windows live mail that was easy to use.
Anyway if I can find something which supports three email addresses and is simple to setup I'll remove T/B.
I did follow the link you sent and generated a pw (several times) but again I opened the options- show pw's etc and put in the new pw it still does not work for Sky/Yahoo or gmail. I got some mail into the sky yahoo account this morning but it still asks for my pw before sending, and each time I make a new pw it rejects it, I have also tried copying the hidden pw but that does not work either, anyway I am away for two days now so that will give my brain a rest, again thanks for your help, regards Robert
Old 12 Sep 2018, 12:40 AM   #15
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler4402 View Post
I have followed the links and generated new security pw's but I still can't find anywhere in the "Saved Passwords" to paste them, and whatever I try I still get the "Outgoing Server smtp password required" I think I will uninstall Thunderbird tomorrow and try to get Outlook 2018 working,, regards Robert
Maybe not the password is the problem, but the outgoing (smtp) servers settings. Did you check that?
Quote:
Set up your emails
Select Tools then E-mail accounts.
Select Account Actions and then Add Mail Account. Enter the following details and select continue: Your Name: Your first and last name
Email Address: Your Sky Yahoo Mail address
Password: Your unique 16-digit app password
When the window refreshes select POP3 and the suggested settings will be displayed. Select Manual config and when the window refreshes, enter the following information: Incoming POP3: pop.tools.sky.com, Port: 995
Outgoing SMTP: smtp.tools.sky.com, Port: 465
Select Done to complete the set up.
https://www.sky.com/help/articles/ge...sky-yahoo-mail
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote