EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 10 May 2017, 01:26 AM   #1
jwm

Mystery extra sent messages folder

I have a fastMail account which I access online via IE using the FastMail website at work, on my mobile phone and tablet using AquaMail and on my home PC using Thunderbird. I use IMAP.

I have a problem which is related to sent email messages, the vast majority of my sent messages are to be found in a folder called "sent" but occasionally when I look for a sent message I cannot find it and after some investigation and searching I have discovered that there seems to be a folder called "sent items" and sometimes one of my sent messages is in that folder.

I did a search on the Fastmail website for a sent message that I could find no trace of from a week or so ago. I found it and according to the search it was in a folder called "Sent items" which I notice is there but doesn't have much in it.

I'm wondering whey occasional messages end up in this second sent folder and why it exists at all. Would the best thing be just to copy all the messages in there into the real sent folder and then delete the extra folder?

Thanks
jwm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10 May 2017, 03:46 AM   #2
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm View Post
I have a fastMail account which I access online via IE using the FastMail website at work, on my mobile phone and tablet using AquaMail and on my home PC using Thunderbird. I use IMAP.

I have a problem which is related to sent email messages, the vast majority of my sent messages are to be found in a folder called "sent" but occasionally when I look for a sent message I cannot find it and after some investigation and searching I have discovered that there seems to be a folder called "sent items" and sometimes one of my sent messages is in that folder.

I did a search on the Fastmail website for a sent message that I could find no trace of from a week or so ago. I found it and according to the search it was in a folder called "Sent items" which I notice is there but doesn't have much in it.

I'm wondering whey occasional messages end up in this second sent folder and why it exists at all. Would the best thing be just to copy all the messages in there into the real sent folder and then delete the extra folder?

Thanks
This is a well known problem with Thunderbird - if you do a search here on the forum with relevant search words you should find the information.

I use AquaMail myself without this problem occurring, so would assume that Thunderbird is at fault for you.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2017, 06:11 AM   #3
Adrian Bell
Cornerstone of the Community

In Thunderbird go to the "Account Settings" and "Copies & Folders". For all of the options click on "Other" and choose the folder you wish from the drop down list. You can choose whatever folder you would like your "sent mail" to go to.

<edit> Before you do this, right click on the Inbox an click "Subscribe..." You can then chose the folders on the server which you wish to be visible. You can go back and change this later.</edit>

This is not a problem with Thunderbird, this behaviour is common to most email clients. Most just guess the correct name (Sent/Sent Items/Sent /mail etc.). With most email clients you can chose the "system default" folders in the settings. However, you can't with the default Android app (at least on the versions I have tried). You should be able to do this with Aquamail, but from FredOnline's comments, maybe AquaMail guesses correctly.

I think Fastmail supports a system which tells the email clients what the default folders are, but not many clients support this. Maybe Aquamail does, I don't know?

Note: For some reason the Fastmail calls the folder "Sent" in their web interface but it is actually called "Sent Items" when seen by the email client. This only confuses matters in my opinion. I don't know why they do this.

Last edited by Adrian Bell : 10 May 2017 at 06:18 AM.
Adrian Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2017, 06:48 AM   #4
jwm

Great thanks for that I'll give it a go
jwm is offline   Reply With Quote