EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Google Gmail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Google Gmail Forum Discussions related to Google's Gmail service should go here: suggestions, tips, comments, requests for help, tech issues etc.

Old 11 Mar 2021, 03:57 AM   #1
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Password reset effect on Gmail app (Android)

If I reset my Gmail account password on my laptop, while that same email account is also in my Gmail app on my Android phone (I read and send mails from my phone that way), does this have any effect on the sending and receiving mails on my phone?

What I'd hate most is losing access to my emails on my phone. I didn't delete most of my emails so that I can re-read them on my phone, would hate them to be gone due to a password change.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11 Mar 2021, 07:53 PM   #2
TenFour
Master of the @

At first you probably will find Gmail works for awhile on your phone even after resetting the password on your account. But, you will eventually get a message that you need to resign in, but you won't lose anything that is stored in your Gmail account. All of that information is up in the cloud as long as you have your phone set to back everything up to Gmail. That's one of the huge advantages of using Gmail, Google Drive, Google Photos, etc. Even if you lose your phone you can just buy a new one, log back in, and there is all your stuff!
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2021, 05:07 PM   #3
mister
Essential Contributor

After verifying of course, which happens any time you sign in on a new device, which can be a nuisance
mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2021, 12:56 AM   #4
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

I guessed already that there'd be the need to verify the new password on my phone in the Gmail app too. Why is this a nuisance?

I would say that the most important thing is that all emails remain disaposible on my phone, that no emails are being lost. Avoiding that is my main concern when it comes to resetting the password.
Old 16 Mar 2021, 03:13 PM   #5
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

If you changed your password to Gmail, then it stands to reason you will have to change the password for all programs/apps that access that account.

If I changed my password using the Web interface to Gmail, how is my phone Gmail App going to know I changed it? If it still works, that probably because you are always logged in to Gmail (or Google) on that phone.

For me I also have to change the password on my mail client program.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2021, 06:39 PM   #6
TenFour
Master of the @

Just to summarize: each Gmail account uses the same password wherever you are using it, whether on your laptop, on your phone, or in an Internet cafe. If you change your Gmail password in one place you will have to eventually change it in the other places to see your Gmail. However, if you use a non-Gmail app or a desktop email client to access Gmail you might need to create a special "app password" to be able to use it.

You won't "lose" any Gmail on any of your devices, assuming they are all connected to the Internet, because they all sync your Gmail to Google's servers around the world.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2021, 01:56 AM   #7
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
However, if you use a non-Gmail app or a desktop email client to access Gmail you might need to create a special "app password" to be able to use it.
I only check Gmail on my desktop using webmail, and on my phone using the Gmail app.

The only email service I use a desktop client for, is Outlook.com