EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 14 Mar 2015, 07:28 AM   #1
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
3rd level domain emails

As not everyone seems to want to buy their own domain for email, but since some services (eg mail.ru and zoho.com) can host email for free if you bring your own domain ... are there any 3rd level domain/subdomain providers for email?

This can either mean
a) you host your email with them but you can choose the subdomain yourself to have a personalised address (like .zzn.com used to do in the past, you could create your-own-name.zzn.com for email)
b) a subdomain provider similar to .de.vu, .co.tv, .co.nr, .fr.st, .eu.org, .uni.cc, ... but allowing to change A Records and MX Records so that you can take your chosen subdomain to a mail provider allowing you to use your own domain (eg Zoho, or mail.ru)

Any suggestions?

PS: I have several own domain names, but I created this thread for the sake of those who don't, as I notice not everyone is willing to purchase an own domain name. Also, I like to try out internet services, even when I have purchased several own proper domain names I am still curious enough to try out other services for the sake of curiosity
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16 Mar 2015, 07:07 PM   #2
adamlau

b) Only if the provider also hosts or controls your nameserver records e.g. FastMail virtual domains.

Last edited by adamlau : 16 Mar 2015 at 07:55 PM.
adamlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2015, 11:48 PM   #3
scryptmail

Representative of:
Scryptmail.com
Just my 5 cents.
Offering subdomain for users is more complicated that beneficial. Email provider has to make DNS records for all of them. In my opinion its doable but DNS wasn't design for such and will require workaround. Besides pure academic interest I hardly can see any application to it
scryptmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2015, 04:45 PM   #4
patrizio

Representative of:
Servermx.com
if you have the control of your domain name you can just create one or more mx records this way, for example

sub1.yourdomain.tld 3600 MX 10 somemx.someprovider.tld

for me it works this way.
For example when a company wants different mx for different branches

it.mycomany.tld
es.mycompany.tld
fr.mycompany.tld
nl.mycompany.tld
patrizio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2015, 08:38 AM   #5
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by scryptmail View Post
Just my 5 cents.
Offering subdomain for users is more complicated that beneficial. Email provider has to make DNS records for all of them. In my opinion its doable but DNS wasn't design for such and will require workaround. Besides pure academic interest I hardly can see any application to it
Well, I prefer to have my own real domains too. I own several. But subdomains are handy for eg not financially strong students, or for trying out new things. Especially curiosity makes me want to try out some things like that, even when I already own several real domains.

In theory, for a personalised email domain at no cost, all you need is a somewhat stable (= not likely to cease operations) subdomain provider that would allow to move your subdomain away and host it on a mail provider allowing to bring your own (sub)domain like Zoho or Mail.ru

I believe that uni.cc, eu.org, nl.nu all allow to register a subdomain under those domains and use your own DNS for it (so those could be used for email purposes too if you create for example your-name.uni.cc and create an email address you@your-name.uni.cc using the services provided by eg Zoho allowing to bring your own domain)

I am not sure which other subdomain providers would allow to move your subdomain to your own DNS of your choice though, this is necessary for it to function.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2015, 02:19 PM   #6
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

If you insist on a special subdomain (and I don't know why that is needed), you can set up a Fastmail Lite account for US $10/year (less than 3 cents a day, which anyone can afford). A Lite account offers users the ability to use one username at up to three Fastmail-owned domains (such as mm.st or eml.cc or fastmail.com or dozens of others). If your username was "example", you could then use email with subdomains such as @example.mm.st, @example.eml.cc, or @example.fastmail.com, where "example" is your name.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2015, 07:35 AM   #7
htetrasme

You can register subdomains and edit the MX records at cu.cc
htetrasme is offline   Reply With Quote