EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 8 Mar 2010, 02:35 AM   #1
ericd

Spam that says it's from me

This has probably been covered somewhere in the forums. My spam problems are pretty much under control now, only because I've spent an inordinate amount of time setting up a million filters. The only ones that I'm getting now are the messages that say that they are from me, but they are not, they are spam, I know that you're aware of this issue. I've been told before not to whitelist myself, but I need to, because I do actually send myself messages related to my work. I've tried to set up filters like I normally do to delete any message with certain words in the "from" or "subject", but now I realize that it isn't working because it won't apply the filters to any message that it thinks is from me because I'm whitelisted. So I think that you can tell me how to design a special filter that will get around that issue, at least that's my big hope.

Thank you,
Eric
ericd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 8 Mar 2010, 05:00 PM   #2
tomhab
Essential Contributor

First off, I'd really recommend removing yourself from the whitelist. It really will help.

Secondly, (note this won't work on items sent from webmail) if you have a static IP you could stick a high priority (ie low number like -50) filter on:

Received: from [<external-IP>] (helo=[<internal-IP>])

or just

Received: from [<external-IP>]

Heh, I've just tried it out and it works As it happens I've got it on a low priority, only just above a not USER_IN_WHITELIST check.
tomhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Mar 2010, 06:51 PM   #3
kservik
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericd View Post
I've been told before not to whitelist myself, but I need to, because I do actually send myself messages related to my work.
Do you send messages to yourself that are likely to be picked up as spam? If you do that then I suggest you send to an alias that you Whitelist.

The best filter you can add to see less spam is: Order [-50] - [Header] - includes - [X-Spam-Level: ******] - deleted. That will delete the worst SA-Spam before it arrives in your account, leaving you with a lot less spam to sift trough.

Kim
kservik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2010, 03:05 AM   #4
ericd

Spam messages that say they're from me

Kim,

I do already have a filter set up that says if something is identified as spam that it should be automatically deleted, and that works great, so I actually get very little spam now. The ones that I get every day now are the messages that say that they are from me but they are not. If I remove myself from the whitelist I will not get the messages that I actually do send to myself that are important for my work. So what I'm try to do is set up a filter that says "if whitelisted, then apply these filters", because I already have the filters set up to delete these messages that say in the subject line things like "70% off, 85% off for ericd, girls from Russia", but right now it won't apply the filters because I have myself whitelisted. So, can I set up a filter that will apply to whitelisted senders? Because if I can just get that done, it will work just like I want it to, because my whitelisted senders will not have these crazy words in the subject line.

Thanks in advance for your help, I'm getting nearly no replies to this request for help.

Eric
Old 10 Mar 2010, 03:36 AM   #5
kservik

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Does it actually happen that messages you send to yourself is stopped by the spam filters?

If yes, then I guess it is DSPAM that stops them?

Kim
Old 10 Mar 2010, 03:43 AM   #6
ericd

Yes, before I whitelisted myself DSPAM would delete my messages from myself. But as it is now, with me having myself whitelisted, it doesn't delete my messages. Because I get so many of these spam messages that say that they are from me, and I always train them as spam, then delete them, so if I didn't have myself whitelisted DSPAM would for sure think that everything from me is spam.
Old 10 Mar 2010, 05:17 PM   #7
kservik

Representative of:
Runbox.com
You should never just delete spam caught by DSPAM.

You need to train DSPAM messages both ways or the filter will just get worse and worse as it thinks it never makes a mistake. Either that or turn the DSPAM filter off.

DSPAM needs to know when it makes a mistake so that it can correct the behavior.

Its not really many emails that DSPAM will handle as SpamAssassin will catch most of the spam.

Kim
Old 17 Mar 2010, 02:14 AM   #8
ericd

Hi Kim,

Sorry about the delayed response. I don't actually know the difference between DSPAM and SpamAssassin, so your probably assuming that I know more than I do. Can you see my response from tomhab, and tell me if he's onto something with what he's telling me? I'd like to know how to set up a filter trigger that says something to the effect of "if whitelisted, yes then...."

Thanks again,
Eric
Old 17 Mar 2010, 02:36 PM   #9
dbowdley

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Hi ericd,

You could try 2 ways to do this.

The easiest is to create an alias to your main email address that you can send work emails to, and then whitelist that address. You can create aliases in your account here:

https://beta.runbox.com/mail/account_alias

The other way to achieve this is a bit more involved. You can use a special addressing feature of email (that Runbox implements) that allows you to write your email address as:

username+work@runbox.com

Emails to this address will be delivered to username@runbox.com just as if they didn't have +work at the end of them, but you can use a filter to find username+work@runbox.com and place the email message in any folder you like.

There is a discussion below that explains the order that the filters work in, and it is possible to filter a message before it gets to the SPAM filters and whiltelist filter.

http://www.emaildiscussions.com/show...threadid=34629

You might also be able to whiltelist the +work address but I am less sure about that. My Runbox colleagues might be able to confirm this as they know more about the detailed workings of the Runbox servers.

I hope one of these works for you. Please let us know in this forum so that it might be of use to others :-)

Best wishes
David
dbowdley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2010, 01:12 AM   #10
ericd

Talking Spam messages that say they're from me

David,

Thanks so much for your reply, that is the sort of information that I was trying to find. I will work on that and get back to you with what happens!

Cheers,
Eric