EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 4 Jul 2002, 08:21 AM   #1
ikxu

Cool well.....

As I look at different email services I believe the two BEST free services are laposte.net and gmx.net.
laposte being the best of the two.
One in French and the other in German.
I always read here how forum members post about their favorite service several times pointing out the great things their service offers, this is why I am mentioning laposte.net and gmx.net
ikxu
ikxu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 4 Jul 2002, 08:40 AM   #2
kchess79
Master of the @

I'm a big laposte.net fan, too, I've started using it more recently, and really like the setup. Maybe because I understand some french, which makes it easier for me...
kchess79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jul 2002, 02:18 PM   #3
ikxu

Cool good

I use several services for different reasons.
laposte.net is my main email server and I like it very much. gmx.net is my second one right now.
Plus 10 MBs of space is what I need.
I also use australia.edu with 100 MBs of space which comes very handy when my family sends me photos and family documents.
What I like most about these services is that they do not have bandwidth allowance and they are free services.
Well, I am glad you are a fan of laposte.net kchess79.
ikxu
ikxu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jul 2002, 02:15 AM   #4
ReuvenNY

What do you people think of swissinfo.org? It is available in many languages and has IMAP support. Free, of course...
ReuvenNY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jul 2002, 04:03 AM   #5
zar

Thumbs up swissinfo.org

Swissinfo is great!

I like their web interface as well as their other options (POP, IMAP and SMTP)

Their webinterface is like myownemail.com sort of like outlook express with the 'preview message' option on. I find that really handy! Plus there are no ads... or at least my eyes haven't wandered onto any.

Great service!

BTW How long does it take for the verification code to get to you by latposte (sp)?

Zar
zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jul 2002, 06:12 PM   #6
Jessm
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by kchess79
I'm a big laposte.net fan, too, I've started using it more recently, and really like the setup. Maybe because I understand some french, which makes it easier for me...
Hi kchess79,

Could you ask them if there are plans to have an English version of their service? Unless this has been answered somewhere else. If so, I apologize..

Thanks!

Jessica
Jessm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jul 2002, 06:15 PM   #7
esTester
Cornerstone of the Community

I tried using it the other day because of the comments on this thread and I decided that it just wasn't worth the time. I couldn't understand what I was doing because I can't read french. I did use a translator during sign up and it worked fine, but I figured that it wasn't worth the work because I probably wouldn't use it that much anyways. I looks like a nice service though and I think it would be great if they had an English version. I am sort of wondering too, if anyone knows about an English version.
esTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jul 2002, 06:48 PM   #8
kchess79
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by Jessm

Hi kchess79,

Could you ask them if there are plans to have an English version of their service? Unless this has been answered somewhere else. If so, I apologize..

Thanks!

Jessica
I sent them an email asking them do they plan to offer this service in english or other languages (and I even double-checked it with google's translator to make sure I was word-perfect....good thing I did, because I misspelled 'offer' ). I didn't see it in the "FAQ", so I'm hoping they'll get back to me soon...offhand, I think it would be nice if they DID offer laposte.net in multiple languages, but I get the feeling it's probably not something they're looking into, since it's run by the french post...
Old 5 Jul 2002, 06:54 PM   #9
Jessm
Essential Contributor

Thank you, kchess79. Looking forward to their response.

Jessica
Jessm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jul 2002, 08:30 PM   #10
kchess79
Master of the @

Got this from Laposte.net (translated) :

Hello, In the current state of the interface, this functionality is not yet available. We inform you that your request was indeed taken into account. We transmit it to the service in load modifications of L interfaces. Cordially. The customer service Internet General public of the Post office.
Old 8 Jul 2002, 08:40 PM   #11
Adam Lachlan
Master of the @

I don't like GMX because they delete all your messages after 30 days. I'm also the sort of person who doesn't mind paying a small fee a year for email (I email a hell of a lot ) so I am subscribed to Oddpost and Another.com (I've been with them for absolutely years, from when they used to be Funmail)

Mf
Adam Lachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jul 2002, 01:09 AM   #12
kwwelch

I found laposte.net much more enjoyable and useful once I figured out (through trial and error) that "trash" = "corbeille".
kwwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jul 2002, 01:35 AM   #13
mailmaniac
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by kwwelch
I found laposte.net much more enjoyable and useful once I figured out (through trial and error) that "trash" = "corbeille".
You could have just asked someone here - me, for example!
I speak French, German, English and Italian and would be glad to help when needed. (and I also use laposte.net)

Andrea
mailmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jul 2002, 01:42 AM   #14
kchess79
Master of the @

And if no one's online that can speak French (or the language you're seeking), try http://world.altavista.com or http://www.google.com/language_tools?hl=en for quick translation.
Old 9 Jul 2002, 05:19 AM   #15
kwwelch

I know I could have asked someone, but I never remember anything I learn that way. I'm an old-fashioned RTFM kind of guy.

But thank you very much for your gracious offer.
kwwelch is offline   Reply With Quote