EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 28 Jan 2004, 09:19 AM   #1
Ann_jr

Question Forwarding rule not accepted

I am trying to create a rule that mail sent to a particular address gets forwarded to five other addresses. I'm using the easy interface, not having worked with Sieve directly.

I get this error message:
ERROR: the new sieve script has errors and will not be used. The most recent working version of the script is still in place. The errors in the new version were: line 72: address '[a@b.com, c@d.com, e@f.com, g@h.com, i@j.com]': parse error, expecting `$'

I've tried searching the forum, the FAQ, and the Wiki, but haven't come up with what I'm doing wrong.
Ann_jr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28 Jan 2004, 01:55 PM   #2
aussieboykie
Essential Contributor

Have you tried adding each target address as a separate forwarding rule?

Regards, AB
aussieboykie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2004, 02:11 PM   #3
Ann_jr

Silly me. I was thinking that I had successfully made a rule using two addresses, in a different account. I just looked -- planning to be very brave and see what the sieve script looked like for it -- and found that in fact I had two rules.

So I will go the route of separate rules, unless someone comes along and says that there is a way to construct one forwarding rule with multiple addresses.
Ann_jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2004, 02:38 PM   #4
aussieboykie
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ann_jr
So I will go the route of separate rules, unless someone comes along and says that there is a way to construct one forwarding rule with multiple addresses.
I'm sure there is a section in the Wiki on the use of advanced rules to do things like this. However, there is unlikely to be a measureable performance difference between doing it with five rules and doing it with one compound rule, and the separate rules approach has the advantage of clarity.

Regards, AB
aussieboykie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2004, 04:05 PM   #5
Daniel S

Re: Forwarding rule not accepted

Quote:
I am trying to create a rule that mail sent to a particular address gets forwarded to five other addresses. I'm using the easy interface, not having worked with Sieve directly.

I get this error message:
ERROR: the new sieve script has errors and will not be used. The most recent working version of the script is still in place. The errors in the new version were: line 72: address '[a@b.com, c@d.com, e@f.com, g@h.com, i@j.com]': parse error, expecting `$'

I've tried searching the forum, the FAQ, and the Wiki, but haven't come up with what I'm doing wrong.
maybe this?
Code:
address ["a@b.com","c@d.com","e@f.com"]
Old 18 Oct 2004, 12:35 AM   #6
mlevin
Cornerstone of the Community

The problem with multiple rules is that if you want to save a copy, you'd have to manually make all but the last rule a "discard" rule so you'd only get one copy, right?
mlevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2004, 01:44 AM   #7
SusanUKF
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally posted by mlevin
The problem with multiple rules is that if you want to save a copy, you'd have to manually make all but the last rule a "discard" rule so you'd only get one copy, right?
Or you could just delete the other copies as well.

Susan.
SusanUKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2004, 02:30 AM   #8
Sherry

Quote:
I'm forwarding some to gmail and also keeping a copy. I used the "Rejecting emails" section with the "Look In:" set to Advanced and the "For Text Matching:"

header :contains "from" ["address1", "address2"] {redirect "address@gmail.com"; } if false

I have a check mark in "Silent"

This sends a copy to gmail and auto files to the matching SubDomain folder. I'm not sure what to do if you don't want a copy kept?

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2004, 08:48 PM   #9
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by mlevin
I don't think so, unless it's changed recently, it works through keep, and keep is idempotent.
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2004, 10:19 PM   #10
mlevin
Cornerstone of the Community

so if I want a message to a@mydomain.com to go to b@mydomain.com and c@mydomain.com and I also want to keep a copy, my rules should be, in this order ("basic" rules screen):

to/cc a@mydomain.com b@mydomain.com
to/cc a@mydomain.com c@mydomain.com DELETE

sorry, I'm trying to do this from memory -- can't get into FM's web interface at the moment
mlevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2004, 10:47 PM   #11
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

As long as you dont set them all to delete a local copy is kept. Apart from that it doesn't matter.
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2004, 01:12 PM   #12
Sherry

Quote:
You may not need this now but thought I'd put it out here in case it works. (not sure if it will but I didn't get any error from it)

Look In: Advanced
For Text Matching: header :contains ["to", "cc"] "jcitizen@fastmail.fm"
Forward To: joecitizen@example.org"; redirect "address2@example.org"; redirect "address3@example.org

Hope you don't mess up your rules trying this unless someone says it will work...

Sherry

EDIT: This does work. Just tried it.

Last edited by Sherry : 24 Oct 2004 at 03:07 PM.
Old 24 Oct 2004, 10:07 PM   #13
Daniel S

It would be better to use the X-Delivered-To header (or equivalently, the "envelope" option from the drop-down), I think.

Code:
Originally posted by Sherry
joecitizen@example.org"; redirect "address2@example.org"; redirect "address3@example.org

Sherry, do you know if it's possible to use a second "require" statement without using a custom script? I couldn't do this, because I couldn't find out how to insert it before the first "if".
Old 25 Oct 2004, 02:25 AM   #14
Sherry

Wow Daniel, I can't believe you're asking me a question about doing something in sieve. My knowledge is a teeny drop in the bucket where yours is the whole bucket full.

Anyway, I don't even know how I got it to work. I also don't know if it would mess up someone’s script if they tried it. (it didn't mess up any of my file into folder or reject rules. I just tried a whole bunch of combinations with and without the quotes, brackets, commas and semi colons until, all of a sudden there was no error and when tested, it worked.

I didn't use the X-Delivered-To because, if I understand it right, it would not work with a subdomain. The To: address I tried it with is a subdomain address.

Sherry
Old 25 Oct 2004, 04:34 AM   #15
kurianja
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Daniel: I don't think you can add a second require with the basic rules interface. But, why are you trying to do this?

Btw, Sherry's solution looks cool. And using X-Delivered-To header is a better option - else, you might miss Bcc'd messages when redirecting.
kurianja is offline   Reply With Quote