EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 3 Sep 2014, 11:48 AM   #61
randian
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
I bought my domain from Namesecure many years ago, and renew through them. These days I only use them to point the NS to Fastmail, which hosts my DNS records.
Pretty much all I do with my registrar, though if Fastmail would get DNSSEC support working (their DNS infrastructure supports it, more a matter of making an admin UI and a usable key rollover system) I'd have more work to do.
randian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Sep 2014, 12:17 AM   #62
Gankaku

I bought a domain name I would use for a long time. Actually I have two I like. One is for personal email from friends and family only. I also used it for business/work because it was so reliable.

I've had my created-for-work gmail account shut down one time for no reason. It's impossible to rely on email services that you don't pay for. So I have had a Fastmail account for years, which I route my mail through them and to my inbox. I've never lost mail using this method.

I also have a domain at which I receive everything else, newsletters, other email. It also goes to Fastmail. I have on occasion lost email this way, because Namecheap (the registrar) sends the mail directly to my mailbox. Namecheap is great, which is why I'm still with them, but they have done funky things twice causing my mail to get hung up and not be delivered. It's only newsletters and such - no biggie - but when you register with a site and are waiting for the confirmation mail that doesn't come and you realize something's wrong...well that's a real pain. I've had to fix things these times with Namecheap and all was well quickly. However, I don't want to lose personal email ever (or work email!) and this is why I have Fastmail handle my domain.

Pick a name you REALLY like. If I could do my newsletter-receiving domain again, I would choose something more professional sounding...some email-ish type of domain. There were a lot of .com ones I came up with back when. They're all gone now of course.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Sep 2014, 12:30 AM   #63
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gankaku View Post
Pick a name you REALLY like..
All the good ones are taken
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Sep 2014, 02:49 AM   #64
B4its2L8
Master of the @

Quote:
I also have a domain at which I receive everything else, newsletters, other email. It also goes to Fastmail. .... It's only newsletters and such - no biggie - ... If I could do my newsletter-receiving domain again, I would choose something more professional sounding...some email-ish type of domain. There were a lot of .com ones I came up with back when. They're all gone now of course.
Just curious... if your secondary domain is only for newsletter type things and you're otherwise very satisfied with FM, why wouldn't one of FM's own domains do for those newsletter-ish things (mailhaven.com, fmailbox.com postpro.net, elitemail.org, etc.)
B4its2L8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Sep 2014, 03:03 AM   #65
17pm

For my newsletters, I use something like:

myname.newsletter@mydomain.tld
17pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Sep 2014, 03:07 AM   #66
EmailHosting

Representative of:
EmailHosting.com
Wink Using Own Domain for Email

If you own a business, it makes sense to use email on your domain name. It's affordable and it just makes sense from a professional standpoint.

It always irks me to see businesses use a gmail or hotmail address. It's simply not professional. Also, by using your domain name in the email address, you will automatically be building brand identity as well.

I see nothing but 'pros' in using your domain name in your email address.
EmailHosting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Sep 2014, 02:28 AM   #67
Gankaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
All the good ones are taken
Ain't that the truth! But you know I saw a domain provider, hover.com, and they have a huge list of domains you can get. Of course the non-standard ones are quite a bit more expensive per year, but it doesn't hurt to go through the list. There are sooooo many tlds now, and if you want to spend the money I'll bet you can get a cool myinbox.tld domain that would be fun to use for a long time.
Old 8 Sep 2014, 02:30 AM   #68
Gankaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4its2L8 View Post
Just curious... if your secondary domain is only for newsletter type things and you're otherwise very satisfied with FM, why wouldn't one of FM's own domains do for those newsletter-ish things (mailhaven.com, fmailbox.com postpro.net, elitemail.org, etc.)
Because...what if...I decided not to use Fastmail anymore? *gasp* It would be a bear of a job/impossible task to get all my newsletters and subs transferred over. I'd rather own the domain, and point it to the provider I want. And I was heavily considering pointing my newsletters/subs domain to go somewhere else when Opera owned Fastmail. Now that Fastmail is privately owned again, I want to support them so I haven't thought about moving since.
Old 8 Sep 2014, 02:56 AM   #69
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Ain't that the truth! But you know I saw a domain provider, hover.com, and they have a huge list of domains you can get. Of course the non-standard ones are quite a bit more expensive per year, but it doesn't hurt to go through the list. There are sooooo many tlds now, and if you want to spend the money I'll bet you can get a cool myinbox.tld domain that would be fun to use for a long time.
Check out:

http://7thspace.com/expired_domain_names/search.html

I've snagged a few choice domains here.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Sep 2014, 04:52 AM   #70
17pm

One question that I should probably have asked before buying the domain:

So, I bought my domain from a US registrar and pointed them to runbox.

Now, the question is:

Do my e-mails go through the registrar?

I ask this because I'm worried about my e-mail going through NSA servers and a copy being saved there.
17pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Sep 2014, 05:37 AM   #71
lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17pm View Post
One question that I should probably have asked before buying the domain:

So, I bought my domain from a US registrar and pointed them to runbox.

Now, the question is:

Do my e-mails go through the registrar?

I ask this because I'm worried about my e-mail going through NSA servers and a copy being saved there.
If you set the MX values at your registrar to point to Runbox, then no, your emails will not go through your registrar.

However, your emails might go through the United States. For example, if a person with a US account sends you an email. Even an email, let us say from Australia, might get routed through the US on its way to a European country - the internet snakes everywhere. If your sender's email system uses a secure link and your own email vendor also does so, then the transmission is encrypted along the route and you will be fine.
lane is offline   Reply With Quote