EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 28 Jun 2010, 11:51 PM   #1
Matt Stevens

Problems with iOS 4?

Has anyone been able to use a Fastmail account on an iPhone with iOS 4? My setup worked great on iOS 3, but since upgrading the account has had problems. New messages do not always appear, or appear as blank with a date of 12/31/00, unread counts are wrong, and some messages refuse to be marked as read.

Things appear fine in the web interface and in Apple Mail on OS X, it's just the iPhone having problems. I tried deleting and re-creating the account on the iPhone according to the instructions on the help page without any luck. I'm wondering if there is something specific with my account, or is iOS 4 just incompatible with Fastmail?
Matt Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29 Jun 2010, 01:26 AM   #2
Mystakill
Cornerstone of the Community

I don't recall seeing issues with mail, invalid '00 & '69 dates and blank messages in my case, until after I jailbroke my phone after upgrading to iOS 4. My biggest issue with iOS 4 is that it killed support for hundreds of accessories in an effort to force manufacturers to sign up for Apple's "Works with iPhone" licensing program; consumers be damned. My newly-installed car stereo interface no longer works as advertised...
Mystakill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2010, 01:39 AM   #3
Matt Stevens

No jailbreak here, just the official updates as they've been released through iTunes.
Old 29 Jun 2010, 03:24 AM   #4
Mystakill

Well then, I suppose it's "good" for me that the jailbreak isn't responsible then

I'm actually reloading mine from scratch so that I can send some logs to Apple to troubleshoot the unsupported accessory issue. I'm not expecting anything to come of it though.
Mystakill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2010, 03:29 AM   #5
naa

Unhappy

Same problem here; original iPhone 3GS, no jailbreak, updated to iOS4.

Unread messages not correct.
Empty messages appear and disappear dated ##-##-70

Regards,

Norbert
naa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2010, 09:13 AM   #6
beq

FWIW I haven't (yet) noticed any such IMAP problems after upgrading to iOS 4.

(And personally I'm still waiting for the various jailbreak tools for iOS 4 to be further developed before taking the plunge. Plus there's a rumor that Apple may release iOS 4.01 this week...)
beq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2010, 09:58 AM   #7
yositimy

My iPod Touch upgraded to iOS4 works the same. It is the older 16GB version (multi thread not supported).
yositimy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jul 2010, 05:30 AM   #8
louisw

Unread / Read Status on Iphone (ios 4, iphone 3g)

This does not seem to get updated when I mark read/ unread via the web interface.
louisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jul 2010, 08:52 AM   #9
matthewc

No problems here.

Maybe try:
http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/...sues-20100622/
matthewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jul 2010, 11:02 PM   #10
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

I had these problems. I did a hard reset (hold power button and home button until Apple logo appears) and the problems seemed to clear up completely. May have just been my lucky day, though..
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2010, 11:10 AM   #11
pedalvet

Me too

My new iPhone 4 isn't playing nice. Frequently when retrieving mail it will chime (indicating new mail) but nothing shows up. Often messages will remain unread despite opening them several times.

Completely powering down and back up seems to solve the problem, but a takes a long time and is annoying!

Any better solutions out there?
pedalvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2010, 11:54 AM   #12
Matt Stevens

I found a solution to the problems I was running into: add another mail account. As soon as I added a Gmail ActiveSync account all the issues with my Fastmail account went away.
Old 27 Jul 2010, 01:06 AM   #13
jtamboli

I've seen this issue, too, and there are lots of reports of similar problems on Apple's discussion boards. I think it's a bug with the iOS, not with Fastmail.

I've noticed that restarting the iPhone clears it out temporarily—it's probably forcing Mail to refresh all its info from the server. You can also force just Mail to quit: From Mail, hit the Home button to go to the home screen. Double-tap Home to open the app switcher. Tap and hold on Mail until it start jiggling and shows the red minus badge. Tap the badge to quit Mail. Hit Home again. When you next launch Mail, it should show correct information. Temporarily.

/jgt
http://tamboli.cx/, PGP key ID*2BC5D9A9
jtamboli is offline   Reply With Quote