EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 5 Aug 2017, 01:57 AM   #1
jdmc

Question iOS app stopped working

I've had the FastMail app on my iPhone 6s for a long time, no problems. But ever since a few days ago, when I launch the app, it displays the pulsing progress indicator… indefinitely. (I've waited as long as several hours with the app in the background, with no change.) Quitting and re-launching the app doesn't help. Rebooting the phone doesn't help. I'd prefer not to remove and re-install the app, but I guess that's next. Any other ideas?

Note: I'm not sure, but the onset of the problem *may* have coincided with the recent installation of the iOS 10.3.3 update. (I'm on Sprint in the U.S.)

=jdmc=
jdmc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5 Aug 2017, 08:18 AM   #2
Pfolson
Essential Contributor

No help from me, I'm afraid. But I did want to note that I'm running 10.3.3 on an iPhone 6 and haven't seen any problems with the FastMail app. My carrier is Verizon.

Over the years, since first installing the app on its initial release, I have occasionally seen slow load times and that frustrating progress indicator. But I'm talking a matter of perhaps eight or ten seconds -- which can be irritating, but is nothing like you're describing. Lately, though, it seems to be running smoothly and speedily.

Although you don't want to, you probably will have to end up deleting the app and re-installing.
Pfolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Aug 2017, 02:13 PM   #3
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I have had no problems with the latest Fastmail iOS app on an iPhone (Verizon and WiFi) and iPad (AT&T and WiFi).

Look at the Fastmail settings (bottom of the Settings page in iOS). The current version is 1.2.5-406, and you should normally be using the Production backend. Also try rebooting the iOS device.

Bill

Last edited by n5bb : 10 Aug 2017 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Added . between 2 and 5 in version number.
n5bb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Aug 2017, 03:05 PM   #4
NorthernLightSE

I have the same issue that the app recently started hanging at the pulsing progress indicator. Usually I am giving up and use other mail apps. In most cases, I can log into my inbox later. No, my inbox has not many mails. Wonder what is causing this.
NorthernLightSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Aug 2017, 04:03 PM   #5
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Again, I have no problems with my two iOS devices running iOS 10.3.3 and one old device running iOS 9.3.5 (which can't be updated). All three devices are running the Fastmail app version 1.2.5-406 in Production mode.

In addition to my earlier suggestions (checking the app version/mode and rebooting the device), I suggest looking at your App Store > Updates tab and verifying that you don't have updates in progress on updated apps (which is often the case after an iOS update). Anything which is using up bandwidth will make the Fastmail app run a bit slower.

Of course, your internet connection speed will affect how the Fastmail app and other heavy remote data apps respond. Have you tried your device in a location with a fast WLAN (WiFi) connection?
  • Using LTE connections (with two different cellular systems on two devices) I have download speeds of over 5 Mbps, and it's an order of magnitude faster at my house using WiFi. That's using the free OOKLA speed test app. When I send a test message to myself from my desk PC, my iPad and iPhone normally ding announcing the new message within a couple of seconds.
  • I often use much slower connections and of course very slow connections slow down the Fastmail app. It's also possible that your internet provider or cellular carrier has a network connectivity issue with the Fastmail servers, but I find this to be a very rare situation which I can't remember seeing in several years.
  • Fastmail does have occasional uptime issues, mainly due to their network provider. So be sure to check this link if you have trouble:
    https://www.fastmailstatus.com/
  • If you device is on a fast network using the current version 1.2.5-406 and it still hangs for a long time often, I suggest you file a Fastmail support ticket.
Bill
Old 10 Aug 2017, 04:30 PM   #6
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLightSE View Post
I have the same issue that the app recently started hanging at the pulsing progress indicator. Usually I am giving up and use other mail apps. In most cases, I can log into my inbox later. No, my inbox has not many mails. Wonder what is causing this.
I have this on Android sometimes. Closing the app (from memory/cache) will help.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Aug 2017, 04:08 PM   #7
NorthernLightSE

Hi Bill,

Yes, sure, it is the latest Fastmail app version on two iPhones and one iPad, all of them with the latest non-beta OS versions. I have the issue at home with a 300 Mbps WLAN connection, and the same on LTE.

If it doesn't get better, I will file a ticket.
NorthernLightSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2017, 11:53 AM   #8
jdmc

Follow up to original post

Eventually I removed the Fastmail app, and then re-installed it. It has worked fine since then. *shrug*
jdmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2017, 11:56 AM   #9
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmc View Post
Eventually I removed the Fastmail app, and then re-installed it. It has worked fine since then. *shrug*
Yes, that's always a possible solution to software problems. My experience is that even the very latest version of iOS can even crash from time to time.

Bill