EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 24 Dec 2017, 02:57 AM   #16
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
Gmail inactivity limit is 9 or 12 months, I'm not sure by heart. In either case, if you don't check your mailbox for more than 9 months, then I would assume that you don't really need it that much.
I have been lucky enough to have a few Google Apps Legacy Free Edition (grandfathered) accounts that I haven't used much in recent years.

But I get reminders (via secondary e-mail addresses that I previously set up) once a year from Google reminding me I haven't used Account X for a year and it will be deleted if not logged into within X days.

I always log in to secure them for another year - just in case I might want to use them again.

Plus I have reminders set up on my calendar to check all the grandfathered accounts.

Just a little application on your part, and then you won't have to worry about losing an account.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2017, 09:36 AM   #17
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Without glorifying Yahoo: is it really that insecure in comparison to other providers such as Gmail, Outlook.com, etc?
In the end we're still talking about one of the biggest players on the internet, especially when it comes to email (but not only email, for example photo gallery hosting with Flickr is very widely used too). You'd expect that this would give some peace of mind and stability, as opposed to well-intended new providers not backed by a wealthy company, and with the open question whether they'll survive on the long term or not.

(by this I'm not saying there's no better options than Yahoo, I guess that also depends on one's needs... But it'd be odd that one of the biggest players in the industry would also be one of the least reliable ones)
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2017, 11:30 PM   #18
TenFour
Master of the @

In my experience Yahoo mail was always pretty unreliable, with a terrible interface and swamped with spam. I never could understand why anyone would use it.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Dec 2017, 03:18 AM   #19
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Some friends of mine have used it for years and never had complaints. I think they however don't mind the interface that much. Nor they care about ads.

I won't dispute that there's better looking services out there. But when it comes to reliability and security, it'd surprise me a bit that such a big player would be insecure.

Their photo hosting service Flickr looks very neat. I'm mainly thinking of giving that one a try (but reliability and security is key, not only for email but also for blogs, webhosts, ...)
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Dec 2017, 03:19 AM   #20
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
In my experience Yahoo mail was always pretty unreliable, with a terrible interface and swamped with spam. I never could understand why anyone would use it.
Actualy imho the Yahoo webmailer interface looks pretty decent; infact I prefer it over the look of Gmail any day!!The problem is the tech part which realy suxx monkey balls.

Yes I think if you use yahoo on a daily basis in 2017/2018...you are asking for problems.

Then again,...it could not get any worse as AOL....lol. Its good these 2 "kids" found eachother.

I hope Verizon (OATH) will rebrand these 2 email providers...but i think that is not going to happen.

In the meantime i realy suggest for using personal (free) email you should use something else.....I for my part stick with Yandex:-) Free,ad-free, unlimited storage and tons of other features.

Dutchie.
Dutchie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Dec 2017, 09:36 AM   #21
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
Without glorifying Yahoo: is it really that insecure in comparison to other providers such as Gmail, Outlook.com, etc? ...
I'm thinking that the huge hacks of Yahoo email services may give us a clue as to how secure it is. I don't think there is anything comparable involving Gmail or Outlook. They seem to be managed much better. I agree with others that the Yahoo web UI is not very pretty -- and the ads are obnoxious.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jan 2018, 08:00 AM   #22
TenFour
Master of the @

Where I used to work I had a Yahoo account just to test certain things and it was always jarring to log in and view that horrible interface and an Inbox full of the junkiest possible spam that any filter should have caught. Maybe things have changed now that it is combined with AOL and Verizon? It's funny occasionally seeing someone with an AOL address, which typically means they have been using email as long as I have!
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote