EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 2 Mar 2014, 04:26 AM   #1
randian
Cornerstone of the Community

Do forwarding rules have SRS turned on?

While aliases and virtual aliases have an explicit SRS checkbox, when you set a forwarding rule there is no SRS checkbox, so it's unclear if SRS is turned on in that case.
randian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 2 Mar 2014, 09:14 PM   #2
CyberDyne
Master of the @

Surely you'll only create a forwarding rule for an alias or virtual (domain) alias that you've already manually created in one of those corresponding settings pages, therefore you will have be given the opportunity to enable (or not) SRS at that point.

...or am I missing something?
CyberDyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Mar 2014, 09:19 PM   #3
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

In think the question is about sieve redirection as opposed to aliases that target external addresses.
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Mar 2014, 02:09 AM   #4
randian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberDyne View Post
...or am I missing something?
Yes. If you go to Mail -> Settings (top-left popup in the web interface) there is the option "2. Forward" to create forwarding rules. That's what I used. I didn't write a sieve script.
Old 3 Mar 2014, 02:40 AM   #5
CyberDyne
Master of the @

Surely, even if you create a forwarding rule by the method you describe, there's no reason SRS would be enabled for any alias unless you specifically enable it manually via 'Aliases', including for your original sign-in 'master' account.
Old 3 Mar 2014, 02:53 AM   #6
randian

Quote:
Surely, even if you create a forwarding rule by the method you describe, there's no reason SRS would be enabled for any alias unless you specifically enable it manually via 'Aliases', including for your original sign-in 'master' account.
Your sign-in account doesn't have an alias in 'Aliases'. It does have a Personality, but SRS cannot be set there. The method I described seems to be a pretty front-end for Advanced -> Define Rules -> Forward, which also doesn't have an SRS setting.

Last edited by randian : 3 Mar 2014 at 03:03 AM.
Old 3 Mar 2014, 02:57 AM   #7
CyberDyne
Master of the @

My apologies. It's so long since I set up my account and so long since I last used my sign-in account for email or even to log in (Lastpass) that I was actually referring to my main email alias.
Old 3 Mar 2014, 03:04 AM   #8
randian

Quote:
My apologies. It's so long since I set up my account and so long since I last used my sign-in account for email or even to log in (Lastpass) that I was actually referring to my main email alias.
No problem. I like how Fastmail makes aliases so easy to use.
Old 3 Mar 2014, 04:10 AM   #9
WormholeLawyer

Quote:
Your setup sounds interesting to a new FM user. Could you explain how you are using FM is more detail?
WormholeLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Mar 2014, 04:15 AM   #10
CyberDyne
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by WormholeLawyer View Post
Your setup sounds interesting to a new FM user. Could you explain how you are using FM is more detail?
My sign-in is just that, for logging in and nothing else. I never use it for email. I simply use other aliases for email, that's all there is to it.
Old 3 Mar 2014, 05:20 AM   #11
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
Yes. If you go to Mail -> Settings (top-left popup in the web interface) there is the option "2. Forward" to create forwarding rules. That's what I used. I didn't write a sieve script.
That's implemented in autogenerated sieve. It's reasonable to ask about SRS and sieve because a redirect can be based on anything, not just the alias.
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Mar 2014, 01:05 PM   #12
WormholeLawyer

Quote:
My sign-in is just that, for logging in and nothing else. I never use it for email. I simply use other aliases for email, that's all there is to it.
Ah interesting. So you have signing@cyberdyne.com and then realemail1@cyberdyne.com and alias1@cyberdyne.com as your real emails? As an example, I mean.

What is the benefit of that over making your "real email" your sign in email, in your mind?
Old 3 Mar 2014, 01:07 PM   #13
randian

Quote:
What is the benefit of that over making your "real email" your sign in email, in your mind?
Somebody who knows your aliases can't use them to hack your account, since the aliases can't be used as logins. That's why Microsoft's decision to allow aliases to be used as alternate login names on outlook.com was so infuriating.
Old 3 Mar 2014, 02:34 PM   #14
WormholeLawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
Somebody who knows your aliases can't use them to hack your account, since the aliases can't be used as logins. That's why Microsoft's decision to allow aliases to be used as alternate login names on outlook.com was so infuriating.
Wow! I never thought about it like that! Thanks for the clarification.

But... can you even use an alias to send mail via a third-party client like Apple Mail or Thunderbird? Wouldn't the SMTP send it as your account login, since that is the user/pass you use with Fastmail's IMAP server?
Old 3 Mar 2014, 03:51 PM   #15
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Wow! I never thought about it like that! Thanks for the clarification.

But... can you even use an alias to send mail via a third-party client like Apple Mail or Thunderbird?
Sure you can - email addresses are easily forged. Think about spammers, and how spammers work.
David is offline   Reply With Quote